View Full Version : Rattle trap style plug

FlukinUki
02-22-2006, 01:09 PM
I figured I try a rattle trap style plug. Built out of AYC, around 4 1/2 inches long, 1 1/2oz and will sport size 1 trebles when the epoxy dries. Its a prototype but I got carried away as usual and decided to shoot a quickie paint job and smear some epoxy on it. I didn't through wire it (used screw eyes).

I swam the plug this morning. Went down to a little 3ft deep hole at a local creek. Lob casts with my ugly stick freshie rod. I couldn't have asked for more, I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Floats with just the dorsal above the water line at rest. Slow retrieve gets the action going like a rattletrap and makes a really nice V wake. A little faster and it dives down and really starts to do the "ITS GONNA EAT ME!" thing.

FlukinUki
02-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Oh yeah, question. What would be the best way to throughwire the plug with a belly swivel? I thought about drilling from the line tie to the tail but the distance down from that line is pretty large. Am I goint to be stuck with hook hangers if I decide to go the through wire route? maybe Im just not looking at the problem with and open mind. Any ideas? Thanks.

steelhead
02-22-2006, 01:21 PM
That's awesome. Not sure how to answer your thru wiring question.There's some geometry that I can't quite figure out.

RIROCKHOUND
02-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Thru-wire from the eye to the tail... maybe make a hook hanger for the beyy hook out of seperate wire and then seal it with epoxy??

gone fishin
02-22-2006, 01:56 PM
You could wire it by drilling a 1/8 " hole through the top to the bottom and drill the rear hook to catch that wire. Being such a small lure the rear wire could be a 1/16":zup: wire with a small loop. The top to bottom wire catches the bottom hook and the tie eye. Epoxy the holes and you are done. A bloooo could eat the plug and not tear it off!

The Dad Fisherman
02-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Screw Thru-wiring it....Hook Eyes with Epoxy. Then you can drill a hole in it and put some BB's to make it rattle.

Drill a hole, throw in a couple of BB's and then epoxy a piece of dowel in the hole....give it a nice rattle.

numbskull
02-22-2006, 02:54 PM
Nice plug, wicked color scheme. Good stuff.