View Full Version : massachusetts eel moratorium.

clambelly
02-23-2006, 10:24 PM
now that the herring are off the table for a bait choice, im now hearing that eels may be next. i know makomike is always talking about the eels, so im wondering if he or anyone else could shed some light on this. ive heard it will go into effect in june.

is this true, or just an ugly rumor???

scoobe
02-23-2006, 11:50 PM
As far as I know, nothing concrete is in place yet. With all the processes involved, it doesn't seem like something will happen in 2006.

capesams
02-24-2006, 07:30 AM
Paul d. will be at the salties next month...will get info. from the horses mouth..also the saltwater lisc...etc.etc...just remind me that your looking for this info.....

MakoMike
02-24-2006, 04:58 PM
The ASMFC took no action to restrict the eel harvest at their meeting yesterday. All they approved was increased reporting. IMHO nothing is likely to happen until the USF&WS takes action on the endangered species petition, and, again INHO they are unlikey to list the eel. So it seems likely, at least for the time being, that nothing is going to change.

GBOUTDOORS
02-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Nothing will change this year but the PRICE of eels.

Skitterpop
02-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Fill her up please and a dozen big eels as well

That will be $189.43 please :whackin:

clambelly
02-25-2006, 11:11 PM
thanks mike,
i was wondering about whether people were just getting itchy cause i also heard a rumor that rhode island had already elminated their commercial eel harvesting.

ive purchased a licence for the past 4 years but have yet to use it here in mass. i was curious to see if the restriction did go through if the state would consider refunding my $$$. being its mass, i highly doubt it woulda happened.

thanks again for the info.