View Full Version : Tournament impact

Pete F.
02-24-2006, 09:36 AM
There are currently two threads on this board regarding Tournaments.
I have no axe to grind, fish in the pot, etc.
One is about what seems to be boats only with a $2500 entry fee and the other has a local sponsor with a $40 entry fee.
There seems to be a lot of concern that the large entry fee tournament will generate all sorts of traffic but no concern about the $40 fee one.
Which one is going to attract more fisherman?
Which is going to impact the fishery more?
Do the positives outweigh the negatives?
What could a tournament organizer do to provide a positive impact?
:hidin:

JohnR
02-24-2006, 09:48 AM
Well I think it is simple, the $40 one is giving away Free Van Stalls and the other is asking for $2500 - you figure it out :hihi:

In all seriousness, I dunno. I used to play competitive darts. I was not good enough to play for a living but in my best year I made some money for the good. I like to compete. But, when you are standing at the line throwing three darts and you step back and your competitor goes to the line and gets three darts, it is damned hard to cheat. With a fishing tournament, especially a high $$ tourney. Some people DO cheat and others rightly or wrongly state that others cheated.

With fishing, short of putting an official into every boat to make sure the rules are absolutely adhered to there is little to guarantee that no cheating has taken place.

Now I do not mean to imply that OTW or FLW would condone cheating nor do imply that they would not be able to root out cheating but I fear it could happen as cheating does occur in fishing tourneys - not often certainly, but sadly it does happen.

Sadly the cheating or the accusations of cheating marr the "honor" of competing.

Is the ASA still even a factor??

Goose
02-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Cheating is often a big issue in any tourney and I know it happens. The accusers are as much in the wrong as the cheaters themselfs. You catch a real biggin, people come out of the wood work because of jealousy. I see this with deer all the time, you can't kill a few big deer with out someone accuseing you of poaching. People target trolphys, whats not to understand.

Clammer
02-24-2006, 04:24 PM
:beat: they cheat in evry tournment /some for the money /some for the braggin rights // the funny things is by the time the cheater tells his lie,s enough =they actually believe [what] they lied about happen;;

I could very easily write a book on know cheaters & what they did or didn,t do =never mind the ones I don,t know ;;:hs: :hs:

Rockport24
02-24-2006, 04:50 PM
In the MV Derby, how do you prove that you caught a fish from shore not from a boat?

Backbeach Jake
02-24-2006, 04:54 PM
The guys at work would do a charter years(nearly 40) ago with a high stakes pool. I fell for that one once. When asked who the winner was, one guy yelled" ME!!!"immediatly. No count , no weigh, no nuttin', Just ME!!! When he did finally bow to pressure and counted, he counted fish that weren't his. Never afreekinagin! :hs: