View Full Version : Wind Farm Scuttled...maybe

Swimmer
02-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Anybody else besides my brother see in the Boston Herald and hear on certain newscast about the bill introdruced in the U.S. Senate that will keep wind farms from within 1 1/2 miles from shipping lanes this week. It was said in both medias that it would effectively kill the proposed cape wind farm.:uhuh:

CANAL RAT
02-26-2006, 11:42 AM
wind power is a very good form of energy.i support the propsed cape wind farms all the way.

parker23
02-26-2006, 12:37 PM
The wind is not a finite resource. We will always have wind, unlike fossil fuels. We have so much ocean that is underutilized. I think wind farms look pretty cool and they do not pollute the environment.

Just think of all the structure this farm will create. It will be a breading ground for all kinds of sea life. From barnacles to crabs, mussels, baitfish, ground fish, BASS, BLUES, Sharks. Maybe even TUNA????

I would rather look at a wind farm, than giant tankers w/ oil, coal and natural gas polluting our waters with their dirty bilge water. It wasn’t too long ago when we had an oil spill that killed more sea birds in one occurrence than that farm will in 100 years. Remember all the dead lobsters, crabs, sea clams, scallops and turtles that were killed by a relatively small oil spill.

Wind is free and it is an infinite resource.

Saltheart
02-26-2006, 12:52 PM
I definitely like the wind farm idea. I don't know enough to say whether they should be further out at sea or in close like the proposed Cape Cod ones. I suppose that should be looked at but I do like the idea of wind power.

Skip N
02-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Wind farms are great.... unless their to close to Ted Kennedys house :smash:

RIROCKHOUND
02-26-2006, 02:12 PM
It's not just Ted fighting this.. Walter Cronkite has flip-flopped a few times on it, and it has divided the pro-green people 50/50...
I am an avid supporter of this. Other places around the world have marine wind farms, and terrestrial wind farms are all over Calif. and Texas.
I hope at some scale it goes off, then if it truly is a success we can have some in other regions.
if they dont work, hit em with dynamite and we've got artificial reefs..

Besides.. the number of birds killed by the windwills vs the number of juvinille fish killed by the intake of powerplants (Brayton pt) isnt even close....

jkswimmer
02-26-2006, 06:31 PM
The wind farm is a great idea and the location is good in my oppion. It is in a some what sheltered sound and not open Atlantic with the bigger swells. And like everyones eleses comments it will be a great fishing spot.

Squid kids Dad
02-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Do you think they will let us fish around and thru the wind farm..???

Swimmer
02-27-2006, 12:01 PM
For those of you who think that they look great need to travel through southern Califonia east of the San bernandino mountain range and look at the hundreds of them dotting the landscape.

And just as SQD asked, how close do you think we'll be able to fish to them? I think there is a tremendous possibility that where ever they are will be consider an MPA!

Hooper
02-27-2006, 12:26 PM
I fish Horseshoe Shoal quite often in the summertime, it's a great spot to get some bluefish, sort of a money in the bank type of spot. After lots of debate, I have to say, we need to do this. I will be sad losing, possibly, a fishing ground, but I think it is the lesser of two evils. We need to find alternative engery sources.

Why can't we put these things on dry ground too? I say throw up a few of these in my Town, on Town owned land, and power municipal buildings, as a start.

And another thing, I am offended that a Senator from Alaska has stepped in and could effect what happens here on the Cape! Wasn't this the same guy who sponsored a bil to build a bridge to some Alaskan Island where 50 people live at the cost of a billion dollars??? If I remember correctly he told the nation to go dump in our hats as he knew what was best for Alaska, not the lower 48...... Hmmm

My Mistake:

I checked after posting, it's U.S. Rep. Don Young, R-Alaska, who is sponsoring the bill, sorry.....

RIROCKHOUND
02-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Hooper, I agree, would love to see every town have a few to power some schools, town buildings etc..
Maybe someone from Hull can offer some details on their turbine