View Full Version : Lets call it "Fishing Etiquette"

"uffah!!"
02-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Lets say that you go to the Breachway to fish. When you get there, there are guy's already fishing, and you see a spot big enough for you to fish in. Do you just get in between the other fisherman and start fishing or what!! What would be the proper thing to do??

basswipe
02-28-2006, 05:32 PM
If it requires getting into a "rotation",forget it.I'll go somewhere else before I do that.

MAC
02-28-2006, 05:34 PM
Lets say that you go to the Breachway to fish. When you get there, there are guy's already fishing, and you see a spot big enough for you to fish in. Do you just get in between the other fisherman and start fishing or what!! What would be the proper thing to do??

For me it would depend on how far apart they were, how they were fishing or if I knew them or not. If I knew them and was using the same method I'd push right in the middle of them. If I didn't know them and I was fishing the same method I'd ask if they minded. If they were fishing close and I didn't know them or was say plugging while they were drifting bait I'd find another spot to fish.

shadow
02-28-2006, 06:29 PM
when I used to fish the breachways I'd always ask if it was alright if I "jump in" the rotation.If you walk some,there are better spots to fish all to your self.I would rather catch less then fish in a crowd.

lurch
02-28-2006, 06:31 PM
If I have to ask to fish I leave!!

In The Surf
02-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Etiquette is definately the word to use and this how I would answer it. If you would like to fish the rip at the tip it's rare you'll be alone so the rotation applies. A line is formed leading to the edge where your drift would begin, you toss your offering into the rip and let it drift out which can be anywhere from say 50-100+ yards out or until you hook up (at any point in this explaination if you hook up give a hardy "fish on" to let the others know your on and to get their lines in so they don't tangle, doesn't matter who's on when you hear this get your lines in). Upon completion of your drift step to the left to start bringing your offering in and so the next guy in line can start his drift and the process continues as such. It should work out to where two guys can be retreiving while a third drifts without issue with a good group sometimes three can be retreiving while one drifts but I prefer two and one myself (less line tangle and greater success at landing fish). The key to drifting is to keep some tension on your line as your drifting out to prevent slack line from going into or around rocks and other peoples lines. When you arrive and see a rotation in effect don't cut or step into a empty spot at the tip, take your place at the end of the line. Also once you've brought your offering in take your place at the end of the line to start the process over again. When fishing the rip you will need a stout 9-10 ft rod (10 being ideal) a reel with a good drag that preferbly holds 300 yards of heavy line
(30 pd FL, 50-65 pd PP or at least 20-30 pound mono) I prefer 30 pd fireline myself and use 60 or 80 pd flouro leaders at the one I frequent. There are others way to fish the area as well, some fish the channel with jigs or swimmers. You can catch some nice fish doing this but again you need a stout outfit and don't left your offering drift to the tip of the breachway where the drift begins. Some also fish the wash along the side of the breachways with success, again use dilligence as to not interfer with those on the tip. Landing fish there is a whole other thread. No matter what caution is key and korkers are a must God forbid you slip and fall into the rip. Best thing to do is just show and watch for awhile and like most things experience will make you proficient there.

Hope this helps!

afterhours
02-28-2006, 06:34 PM
i'd leave- don't like crowds.

BigFish
02-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Ditto!:doh:

Slingah
02-28-2006, 07:14 PM
For me it would depend on how far apart they were, how they were fishing or if I knew them or not. If I knew them and was using the same method I'd push right in the middle of them. If I didn't know them and I was fishing the same method I'd ask if they minded. If they were fishing close and I didn't know them or was say plugging while they were drifting bait I'd find another spot to fish.
what MAC said

fcap60
02-28-2006, 08:42 PM
The only time I like fishing crowds is when the crowd is made up of people I know and we are laughing, teasing each other, and otherwise having a good time. Outside of that situation, it would take a school of VERY BIG COWS for me to fish a crowd...otherwise, I'd rather just head off by myself.

Nebe
02-28-2006, 08:45 PM
this is what to do...

"hey guys do you know frank smith?"

"no why"

Im supposed to meet him here and I am f-ing pissed.. I left an epic blitz at weekapaug breachway just to meet him here."

" no chit.. no he aint here"

"fuk, well, since i am here, i might as well stay"

"yeah, well, um.. we were just about to leave"

ahhh solitude :hihi:

Goose
02-28-2006, 11:38 PM
I would think twice about jumping in with strangers. Theres alot of positives fishin alone,,stress free fishing is a must.

crash
02-28-2006, 11:44 PM
If I want to be in a crowd I'll go to Walmart, I fish so I don't have to deal with anyone.

striprman
03-01-2006, 01:06 AM
if the crowd was catching bass, keeper bass, I'd stay.

seabass
03-01-2006, 07:17 AM
It's a big shore line, if ya gotta consider asking, your too damn close.Go find your own spot.

ThrowingTimber
03-01-2006, 07:24 AM
ppl there I would leave. Let them have the place to themselves.

Someone I'm friendly with shows up and Im the only one there and Ive been there awhile, I leave. Let them have the place to themselves. Nod walk off "It's all yours."

bobfishgerald
03-01-2006, 08:42 AM
I agree with everyone saying they would move on. A lot of why I like fishing is because it gets me out of everything.
I perfer fishing alone to catching in a crowd.

stiff tip
03-01-2006, 08:53 AM
first come first serve...do u want it done to you.? thats the ansure.. unless you know them.

Joe
03-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Come back on a rainy Tuesday night. Most breachway fishermen don't own a raincoat.

In The Surf
03-01-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm not big on crowds either, if there were more than 4-6 guys myself included I just go somewhere else. There are far too many places where I can keep my line in the water and catch rather than wait in line. For me it's going when I know there won't be a crowd.

Squibby17
03-01-2006, 01:09 PM
I'm going to say a different opinion about this.

I would most definitly jump in if I felt the spot was big enough, that my method of casting was the same as theirs and I would ask
"you guys mind If I jump in here"

I have fished many places where if you want to catch fish unfortunately sometimes there's a crowd. Most notably being the Wasque Rip on the Vineyard. When the bass and blues come in there your going to catch 5 times more fish in a half mile strech. I also fished the jetties at menemsha which are way better for albies and bonito than the beach. I made my first trip to Pulaski (salmon river) this past year and if you can't fish with others you may as well not go. The question is do you know how to fish in the crowd? Thoughts to remember.

1. constantly look left and right (more so one way if the rip is moving the other way" this way you can see if the guy 3 down from you hooked up and if you may need to stop and let him follow his fish.

2. Follow the damn fish. If you hook up and the fish runs 200 ft to the right walk with the damn thing. I remember being like 10 years old and some idiot guy was fighting a fish from about 250 to my left and no one could fish because of it. Now that I'm older I would yell at him.

3. Cast straight. Not brain surgery. Don't cast so that your line will cross someones elses. If lines cross pull it in fix it drop the line say something funny or a smile is fine. If it keeps happening then think about mentioning the casting techinque their using.

4. When you do get a fish in. Bring it up the dune if it may take some time to un hook so you don't alter others fishing.

5. If someone is landing a fish or changing a plug don't take his spot or let some shumck take it If your there you may mention "sorry my buddy was fishing right there" hes coming right back

If your with other good fisherman fishing in a crowd isn't that big a deal and if you with a large group it can be real fun. Especially during a blitz and one guy can't hook up or gets all the smalls.

:jester:

tattoobob
03-01-2006, 04:16 PM
As long as there is not more than 10 people fishing I would stay, and at least see what was up. I would also try the beach front and inside the inlet.

kippy
03-01-2006, 04:39 PM
I don't like fishing with crowds so I would be outa there!:wave:

nptstriper
03-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Usualy when a place is crowded its before the sun goes down. If they are catching fish, I would stick around and watch for a wile. Then leave and come back in 12 hours when the tide is basicly at the same point, the majority of those guys are now sleeping and if my plan works I should have the place and the fish to myself.

The Iceman 6
03-02-2006, 09:14 AM
In the Surf nailed it down...

piemma
03-02-2006, 03:40 PM
I basically hate everyone except RI Rockhound and #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& so....I wouldn't fish with anyone else anyway...

JHABS
03-02-2006, 04:11 PM
piemman , WOW That Hurt........................

piemma
03-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Oh sorry Hab...you know I always love you.....

Sea Dangles
03-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Paul,I thought you said you would share a rock with me.:err:

piemma
03-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Chris...only on the Block....

Sea Dangles
03-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Wow:lossinit: LONG winter huh?

piemma
03-02-2006, 05:03 PM
you ain't kiddin'.....especially up here in Burrillville...:hidin: