View Full Version : MA Ocean Bill Action Alert

BasicPatrick
02-28-2006, 11:48 PM
A group of Recreational fishing clubs in MA is launching a letter campaign to assist some friendly politicians in getitng afew changes to the Ma Ocean Management bill. Please read the floowing instructions and consider sending a letter of your own.

Coordinated Ma Ocean Bill Action Alert

The following S2308 comment letter should be downloaded to your computer. Once there, open it and insert you name and address. The date should automatically fill with the current date. The most important addressees should be your own local state senator and state representative. You can find out who they are and their addresses by going to:

<<<< www.mass.gov/legis/citytown.htm >>>>

From there you can get the names and the room numbers to insert into your letter. Print out two letters, signing both and mailing one to your senator and one to your rep. You can also email the letters directly to the legislators by using the above web site to get their email address.

It is VERY important to also send letters to some other key legislators that may have some influence on this bill. If this is possible, please make additional letters and address them to:

Representative Robert DeLeo
State House
Room 243
Boston, MA 02133

Senator Therese Murray
State House
Room 212
Boston, MA 02133

Representative Frank Hynes
State House
Room 489
Boston, MA 02133

Representative Anthony Verga
State House
Room 134
Boston, MA 02133

Lt. Governor Healey
State House
Room 360
Boston, MA 02133

Senator Stephen Brewer
State House
Room 109-B
Boston, MA 02133

Senator Frederick Berry
State House
Room 333
Boston, MA 02133

Senator Robert Hedlund
State House
Room 413-F
Boston, MA 02133

Senator Michael Morrissey
State House
Room 413-D
Boston, MA 02133

Senator Robert O’Leary
State House
Room 416-A
Boston, MA 02133

Senate President Robert Travaglini
State House
Room 332
Boston, MA 02133

<<<< Your Name >>>>>
<<<< Your address >>>>>
<<<< Your address >>>>>
<<<< Your address >>>>>

February 28, 2006

Senator <<< >>> Representative <<< >>>
Room <<< >>>, State House Room <<< >>>, State House
Boston, MA 02133 Boston, MA 02133

RE: S2308 – An Act Relative to Ocean Management

Dear Senator <<< >>> and Representative <<< >>>:

I am an active member of the Massachusetts Striped Bass Association and I’m writing to you in regards to the pending legislation involving ocean management, S2308. This issue has been getting a great deal of attention recently in the saltwater recreational fishing community. Our club has discussed the issue and made formal communications to various offices within the legislature. I am writing to you directly in support of my club’s position and also as a concerned saltwater recreational angler. This very important legislation has far reaching affects to the citizens of this Commonwealth.

I agree with the sentiment from the saltwater recreational fishing community that the latest version of the bill comes short of creating sensible, balanced directives in which to develop and implement a new ocean management plan. The bill is still ambiguous on the creation of Marine Protected Areas (MPA’s), gives the Secretary of Environmental Affairs unchecked authority to create an ocean plan and to oversee appropriations of a special environmental trust fund, contains conflicting language on fisheries management and creates two advisory boards that do not have any oversight power in the final ocean management plan.

There have been suggestions forwarded to the sponsors of this bill from other recreational saltwater fishing organizations and also from the Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Advisory Commission over the past few months. Those suggestions should be given serious consideration as they are reflective of what I feel is a more balanced and effective approach to creating new ocean management legislation.

Thank you for your time and attention on this issue.

Sincerely,

GBOUTDOORS
03-01-2006, 09:57 AM
BP good thread thanks. I will send out the letters but I talked to my Representative Bill Straus last week and he had some bad news as he thinks this thing is going to get passed. He said there was some one by the name of Carr up in the Boston area that has taken on the role of speaking for the Rec. fisherman and that he is all in fav. of the bill. Someone needs to find out who this is and WHATS going on. I was not able to get the info from REP. Straus as I had to leave the function but he seamed to think that this guy is the one to go after. Any idea who or what he was talking about??????

gone fishin
03-01-2006, 09:24 PM
I thank Patrick for the effort he is putting into this subject. I for one have written to all on the list and feel that the only way we get action is to puy our opinions out there for the pols to see.

Give up a few bucks and write the letters.

:eyes: