View Full Version : Sand eels... Where do you get yours?

Sluggoslinger
03-01-2006, 10:37 AM
I do 75% of my fishing at the rips off monomoy and with the southway almost all closed up now I might be there even more. I have found that one of the best methods is to drift a sand eel with anywhere from a 1/2 oz to 1.5 oz lead sinker depending on the tide. Last summer there were a number of times that they just weren't available at the bait shops in town. I went as far as to run over to the schools of blues and I was able to hold the fish upside down and get a couple decent sand eels with minimum effort and throw the fish back. Has anyone ever tried a casting net like they catch shrimp with down south. Any good ideas on how to get some while you're out there? A 6" sluggo has always been a good alternative but nothing beats the real thing. Any people dig them on their own?

stiff tip
03-01-2006, 10:55 AM
i would keep a sand eel rake w/ u at all times try to rake the back side of monamoy in the shalows 2 to 4 ft.go way up in side in the rivers at low water .look for the schools and rake around. .or get them at pamet rv or p town yourself ,,dry and ice cold is best.way to keep them..

vineyardblues
03-01-2006, 11:18 AM
try rubber or jigs, your at a killer location ...but don't tell no body!
VB

Rappin Mikey
03-01-2006, 11:39 AM
I rake mine on the Bay Side in Truro at low tide or Hatches Harbor. Or I just buy them when I'm feeling lazy. I've seen people get them with cast nets as well. So if you have one give it a shot.

clambelly
03-01-2006, 12:01 PM
get your own like the others said. they are way too expensive for me and not much effort to catch once you find them.:smash:

kippy
03-01-2006, 12:30 PM
try rubber or jigs, your at a killer location ...but don't tell no body!
VB

:humpty: