View Full Version : Korker 1100 vs. Hodgeman Gladiator

Clogston29
03-02-2006, 08:32 PM
Anybody have experience with both and want to help point me in the right direction. Basically looking for whichever one will be more durable. I'm not a small guy (6'1", 240#) if that makes a difference. I'm not crazy about the K5000s that I have and a few of the studs are missing and the threads are stripped so its time for a new pair.
Thanks!

stiff tip
03-03-2006, 07:42 AM
i have had several pair of korkers,if you use them alot ,they ware out .in the salt even worst.. i have the k 5000,custom boot fit a few bucks more but worth it...

NIB
03-03-2006, 07:54 AM
I am bout the same size I go thru korkers like water.I like the galadiators they hold up better.i need the carbide studs where i fish.the big granite slabs are like ice with the stainless replacement type.The Gladiators come with a shoelace an some bs plastic thing.throw that away an get a thicker longer lace to go around the boot an tie off.I plan on getting some of these some day they look great.http://www.bergstromskegs.com/tg/tg_main.htm

Joe
03-03-2006, 08:48 AM
I dropped the Gladiators because I had some customers tell me that they would not hold studs after the initial ones wear out.

At 6'1" and 240 - and fishing as hard as you do, you are going to have issues with any wading sandal currently in production.

The DZ method of modifying the Korker 1100 is the best method out there. But it requires time to do the maintenance. I have had a few clients tell me that they can make enough money in the two hours per season it takes to do the DZ method to buy four new pairs - so I guess it depends how valuable your time is.

You also have to realize that Dennis is as skinny as a twig, so when he jumps on rocks, he comes down with less force than the usual fat bastid.

You can also return the product directly to Korkers.
Contact Korkers return goods department at (503) 723-7100 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. (PST) to obtain a Return Goods Authorization (RGA) number. Upon receipt of the product, Korkers will determine if the product is defective. If so, Korkers will either replace or repair the product free of charge.

JFigliuolo
03-03-2006, 09:12 AM
This season I'm going to try the DZ method... On a pair of wading boots. I wear Korkers 98% of the time. Why not make them permanent.

Clogston29
03-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the Korkers. Undecided as to whether I'll modify the studs. I was thinking about trying those self locking zip (pull?) tie things in place of laces, in addition to some duct tape. Anyone ever try that. I think they come in different sizes and strengths. And are pretty cheap, like $5 for a hundred of them.

fcap60
03-03-2006, 10:10 AM
I've used the nylon locks, but if your foot gets stuck in between the rocks, you may have to cut it (foot, nylon, etc ?) off.:jump1:

stiff tip
03-03-2006, 10:44 AM
the model-korker-5000 comes with wide straps that have hard plastic clasps, and made custom sized to fit your boot .a much better system and seams to last better.they have a little salt time , mostly on steelhead rv. u dont need korkers on the cape cod beachs,too often??

piemma
03-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Clogston29 we fished together last fall at the naps in the rocks. Don't think you noticed but I wear the Korker 1100. I ALWAYS duck tape them on. So does my partner RIRockhound. We fish rocks almost exclusively.
We do wear out the studs. You can buy replacement carbide tip studs from Korker for $18.00 for 60. 60 last me more than a year. I end up replacing a few each couple of trips. No big deal. There is a tool you can buy for $6.00 that is used to set the new studs. You punch out the old ones with a nail punch or round cold chisel.
I have used this sysem for the last 10 years with no problem. I do replace the Korker laces with extra long bootlaces which last a lot longer but a new pair are only a $1.98 at Wally World.

RIROCKHOUND
03-05-2006, 02:48 PM
I have the hodgmens...
I drilled mine out and used bolts a-la DZ etc...
Added a few extras as well; got 1.5 seasons out of them... time for a change this spring... need some new bolts....
I have 5000 Korkers with the spikes... they dont egt used often,,, if its shallow bowling balls w/o much weed I just use felt boots...

Duct tape all the time...
Duct tape is like the Force... it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the Universe togethor.....

Spiderman
03-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Korkers suck! They are not made the way they used to be. I would lose 12 to 20 studs in a night at montauk and once you try to replace them they fall out even faster. I've been using the hodgemans for a couple of years now and find the to hold up much better. I always duct tape the the strap buckle and the clip for the laces. I dont mind wearing down the studs but i hate when they fall out. I go through about three pairs a season.

BasicPatrick
03-05-2006, 10:05 PM
I have all three and have gone back and forth...In the end I like the Hodgean Gladiator design for attachment with the lace section and strap/buckle system up top. Duct tape in extreme areas is a must. Studs are gonna wear and tear out and that is just fact.

I do install bolts in my fins for skishin and climbing on the rocks.
:wave: