View Full Version : fast sink, tail heavy needlefish, how to fish them?

stripercrazy
03-03-2006, 09:34 AM
I got some back heavy needlefish that cast great but they sink ass down, fast. doe's anyone fish these? what type of place or condishion should I use these? thanks ed.

JFigliuolo
03-03-2006, 09:37 AM
I got some back heavy needlefish that cast great but they sink ass down, fast. doe's anyone fish these? what type of place or condishion should I use these? thanks ed.

Big water, big wind. Reel them fast to get them off the bottom, Then slow it down, so they swim at the depth you want.

stiff tip
03-03-2006, 10:28 AM
SAMETHING-SAMEWAY-only alittle different ???

Skitterpop
03-03-2006, 11:33 AM
you have an open beach with almost all sand you can let that bad boy sink to the bottom and then very slowly reel along with a quick hop / jerk here and there along the full retrieve. So mostly working the bottom up 1 to 2 feet. Be prepared for big hits if they are down low.

Heavy sinkers are great to find bass cause you can work all the depths with different retrieves till or if you find them.

Mike

Christian
03-03-2006, 11:40 AM
rough water, current and wind, and if you just need to get a plug way the heck out there.

libassboy
03-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Just get that baby out into a rip, let it swim down current under tension...and be ready.

stripercrazy
03-04-2006, 01:06 AM
thanks everyone,had good luck last year with slow sinkers in shallow places. ed

scoobe
03-04-2006, 01:32 AM
I've heard they can be deadly if you let them hit a sandy bottom and puff up the sand a bit... just like a sand eel :)

NIB
03-04-2006, 07:59 AM
Go to a deep water spot count em down in intervals 3-4-6 etc.then slow retrieve.U can add twitches or not let the fish tell ya what to do.in time u will figure out what type needle is better in what type o water.Get urself a few more different types.larger bodieswith similar wieght will sink slower.There's alot of variables.If u really wanna learn the lure u have to answer ur own questions.