View Full Version : Planning trip to Gloucester, MA

Jamie K
03-03-2006, 10:09 AM
Last year my mother-in-law picked up a rental property right on the Harbor on East Main St., it's pretty cool place - the foundation looks ancient, it's like 4 foot think granite, and the basement is super clean and looks like it was maintaned by a devoted home owner. Even has a Brewery in the basement...

Anyway, I was wondering what time this summer would be the best time to head out on to the lighthouse jedi and plug for some stripers, or whatever other fish might be good for eating. Open to suggestion for other beach casting locations, perhaps leading up towards rockport.

I am not looking for details on killer holes, just a general idea where I might run across some fellow fisherman and have a good time.

Thanks

Speedy Too
03-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Depending on water temps.....if vary's a little each year. we don't usually get stripers until early June. I don't fish from land but I do see plenty of people on the jetty and on the rocks off Magnolia

Jamie K
03-03-2006, 11:15 AM
LOL I said Jedi!

Will Yoda be there?

Anyway, after june is fine. Mid/Late summer is plan.

Thanks

Gloucester2
03-03-2006, 11:38 AM
Drive the Back Shore and look for birds :kewl:

nightfighter
03-03-2006, 12:39 PM
PM sent. We'll be here.

Offshore
03-03-2006, 05:25 PM
I grew up and lived in Gloucester till '69. You didn't say what time of summer you will be there but here goes.

You will have a problem getting into the Eastern Point Lighthouse and breakwater on weekends. Cop at the gate will turn you away. That said, go in there early AM and no problem.

Plugging from Eastern Pt. to Rockport along the backshore is best just before and at dawn. Don't pass up the outflow of the creek at Good Harbor beach. Again, parking a problem except early AM and after dark.

Every year many of the BIG stripers taken from Gloucester are taken from the end of the State Fishpier on bait. 30 to 50 lb. fish. Not your typical fisihing spot. Very dirty at times. Not sure I'd eat a fish from the harbor - even today. Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Bill

Picture is of State Pier. Drive in and go to the end. Best time after dark, if you dare.
in the way of

Jamie K
03-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Thank you all very much for your replies.

Looks like we will be there sometime in July, then again in fall :). hehehe

The Dad Fisherman
03-05-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm usually prowling Cape Ann that time of year....Lots of great areas around there....you can't swing a dead cat without seeing someplace that looks fishy.

Drop a PM when your in the area