View Full Version : Help/ideas

Johnny C
03-03-2006, 10:15 AM
I have a 16ft. Aluminum Mirrocrft Skiff. 15yrs old I woudl guess. It was under my house when I bought it. I have checked it out, it is water tight ( I filled it from the hose. Tight as a drum) The seats are kind of rusted out, and it has no registration.
I want to get the mighty vessel OTW this year. What kind of water can this sucker handle? Motor size?
Any general advise woudl be great.

Sluggoslinger
03-03-2006, 10:47 AM
As someone who went through a nightmare last year with the environmental police and the registry. Make sure you can get a vin and it has a clear title. You need to be able to do a rubbing of the vin on the transome. They are not friendly at the registry also. Someone 'cloned' my boat last year and they tried to tell me that I had sold it. They just sent my title to some other person who had forged a bunch of doc's and it took a long time to get it sorted... In my many visits to the rmv, I saw tons of people turned away b/c they had old boats that were sitting around and no title and documentation for them....

ProfessorM
03-03-2006, 11:18 AM
25 HP, anywhere you want to go. I use a 15 hp on a 14 foot mirrorcraft and I have had more fun over the years in that tin boat than my larger glass boat. I have gone several miles off shore at times when the weather allows, but the shallows is where the thing shines. Just use common sense. Paul

crash
03-03-2006, 11:31 AM
FYI the Hyannis registry is worth the drive. friendly service, free parking, and you can pay sales tax in the same building. I will NEVER go back to Boston

BigBo
03-03-2006, 12:36 PM
I'll second the Hyannis Registry as well. They are very helpful in these types of situations. Tin boats are good!:hihi:

quick decision
03-03-2006, 12:36 PM
FYI the Hyannis registry is worth the drive. friendly service, free parking, and you can pay sales tax in the same building. I will NEVER go back to Boston
that is good to know.

Krispy
03-03-2006, 01:01 PM
I know in CT its been recommended you register the boat as homemade, and pay for the new VIN, boat cert., etc., instead of going through the hassle of re-registering w/o proper paperwork.

macojoe
03-03-2006, 02:22 PM
I use to go to boston and they suck, so does Fall river! But I live on the Cape and Hyannis rocks!
I had a 17 foot boat, I made sure the numbers were not on the boat, then I said I bought the boat in RI and did not have a title. No inpsection at all, they issued me a new number and all set. Just need a bill of sale from RI with a friend that will say it was his grandfathers and has been sitting for years, and that he sold it to you.

Striper1
03-03-2006, 07:06 PM
25 HP, anywhere you want to go. I use a 15 hp on a 14 foot mirrorcraft and I have had more fun over the years in that tin boat than my larger glass boat. I have gone several miles off shore at times when the weather allows, but the shallows is where the thing shines. Just use common sense. Paul

Paul is right on....

I ran a 14 footer with a 25HP in boston harbor for years:gf:
for cheep money I made a center console out of wood and mounted it to the middle seat.
that boat smelled like fish:hihi:
Good luck...

Raider Ronnie
03-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Paul is right on....

I ran a 14 footer with a 25HP in boston harbor for years:gf:
for cheep money I made a center console out of wood and mounted it to the middle seat.
that boat smelled like fish:hihi:
Good luck...

Nice avatar Frank !!!

Striper1
03-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks Ron,
Thats me in my "happy place"

stiff tip
03-04-2006, 06:57 AM
what the guys said about rmv. is true ...lots of paper work w/ a old boat w/ no IDs... if u mean it . rebuild the boat complety one time .dont just nickel, dime the job. do it right once.as for a motor ,your 15 ft er ,least 15hp most 30. i fish w/ a friend whos tin boat is 38 yrs oldthe last owner was a guy named Frank Woolner ,do u know the name?????