View Full Version : BG7000HSN or bs7000hs

stripercrazy
03-04-2006, 04:08 AM
I'm trying conv tackle for some ditch jigging and breachway fishing in rhody, I'm getting a 10 lami glass rod. is the hsn better than the hs. will it hold enought line for the ditch? I may use braid, the odds are good. whitch will cast better, thanks ed, whats the best 7000?:wave:

NIB
03-04-2006, 07:52 AM
There has been some issue's with the new big game 7000HS.2 pc.main gear being the major item along with being made in China now instead of Sweeden.I have one an I abused it it has held up fine.i have a small collection of the old black big game reels along with some Morrums they get the heavy duty work.I would suggest u try to find a old black big game.or perhaps one of the chrome ones i see floating around.Made in Sweeden heavey duty brass sideplates= much better stronger reel.E bay is probably ur best bet not sure any of the sponsors can help ya out. Then again what do I know.I use spinning in the canal.

fcap60
03-04-2006, 08:15 AM
NIB:

Good advice. Keep using spinning in the canal and sell me one of those 7000CLs (made in Sweden).:pop:

NIB
03-04-2006, 08:18 AM
I've landed some pretty good fish jiggin with spinning tackle.I've got other hardcore chore's for my big games.Nice try though.

numbskull
03-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Has anybody used the calcutta 700? It is expensive and seems heavy, but I bought one anyway since I've had good luck with the 400 and wanted something better for braid than the Newells I've used forever. Still undecided whether to keep/use it for plugging, or consign it to the codfish dept.

gone fishin
03-04-2006, 11:15 AM
I have both the 7000 black big game and the 7000HSN. The HSN is a fine reel after you do a few things to it. The pinion gear is or was two pieces and it needs to be changed out to the one piece gear used in the 7000 CL - also the HSN was supplied with bad bearings and they screwed up big time. Mike at M&N will sell you the reel at a decent price and do the conversion before you take delivery. I use mine for plugging mostly as I like to watch the plug and not have to concentrate on laying the line on and for night fishing. As for holding enough line, I have never had a problem as I use 16 lb. ande for pluggin. I can get about 200 plus yards on the reel. If you are looking for capacity, the HS is the way to go. 17 pound line will give you about 300 to 350 yds on the spool.

Good luck - keep carving!:buds:

jkswimmer
03-04-2006, 09:12 PM
If you are going to jig the bottom braid is the way to go. I use a black big game 6500.

Nebe
03-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Avet sx :humpty:

t.orlando
03-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Used the 700Calcutta for years at canal. Mostly live bait and heavy mono. Probably the most solid reel I own. Thinking maybe a bit too large and heavy for plugging all nite. Great reel, just might be overkill

stripadan
03-05-2006, 12:45 PM
What exactly is the difference between the new and old 7000 (black and gold)? The only difference I found was the new ones are assembled in China. The parts are virtually all the same, and still made in Sweden. The only parts that are different are the side plates, the side plate screws(now with washers), pinion gear, clicker spring, handle, and star. There is also a new part(washer) under the spring for the freespool button. Most changes are purely cosmetic. I have two apart on my bench now. The only mechanical difference is the pinion is now stainless, not brass, but dimensions are the same. The pinion has always been 2-piece. All other parts still have the same part numbers, so the older reels being repaired will eventually have the new parts in them if replaced. If someone has other info, please let me know.