View Full Version : Zee Baas - The Successor to the VS

eelslinger
03-05-2006, 05:16 PM
http://static.flickr.com/46/108342503_42d0c3db8c.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/47/108342502_fc9a429f25.jpg

more pics are on this (http://www002.upp.so-net.ne.jp/Ham/pescare/zeebaas.html)

This may interest you.

The original VS designer, Robert W Koelewyn has created a new reel called the Zee Baas.

Zee Baas = Sea Boss in Dutch.

It will be

1. waterproof and submersible
2. Gray green in color, I am not sure if gold will be offered
3. Machined aluminum
4. be a 100 VS class reel with 2 manual bails and 2 spools, a 100 and a 150 spool in any combo.
5. All self service with tools provided.
6. All US made in Milford, CT.
7. Mechanically better than the original VS, although I don't know what is meant by that yet.

The web site of the same name, as the reel, should be up this week, or next, and will be presented at some of the upcoming shows this month.

A friend of mine got this info from Koelewyn.

Swimmer
03-05-2006, 05:24 PM
It looks like what a retro VS would have looked like if there had been and era prior to the current VS which it could refer too.

Christian
03-05-2006, 05:26 PM
looks like a freeking machine!
hope its not $1000

shadow
03-05-2006, 06:13 PM
from what I hear it is something like $1200 to $1400.:shocked:

Skitterpop
03-05-2006, 06:28 PM
a bigger long cast spool :bshake:

maddog2020
03-05-2006, 06:35 PM
I like the dual line rollers - smarter way instead of the goofy exterior counterweight IMHO. Faster pickup as well.

What the heck is that thing sticking out of the side of the stem for??

I think the holes are BS - weakens the design and the "weight" savings from the aluminum is a JOKE. Solid is better.

Cool - another reel I need to own. ;) I haven't jumped on the Daiwa Saltiga wagon yet ... lol.

The Accurate spinner is nice ($900), but an offshore boat reel. They are coming out with a Penn 650ss/6500ss size may be in the Fall.

Peter Lajoie
03-05-2006, 11:42 PM
looks like a freeking machine!
hope its not $1000

There actually more than that from what Ive heard.:eek5:

JohnR
03-06-2006, 08:43 AM
I wonder if it is a transportation security connection facilitator for your integrated energy transfer lever and line control and reclamation coil containment device hard point ejector rack for your Silica Traversal Vehicle. Absolutely necessary for a >1000 smacker piscis extraction apparatus...

Wow - and I was hoping for a water impregnatable, simple spinning reel that was LESS money than a VS

JFigliuolo
03-06-2006, 08:56 AM
too many folks have VS's so the upper crust need something that will stand out in the crowd..

over a G for a reel... WTF!

basswipe
03-06-2006, 08:58 AM
Wow - and I was hoping for a water impregnatable, simple spinning reel that was LESS money than a VS

:uhuh:

Pete F.
03-06-2006, 09:10 AM
too many folks have VS's so the upper crust need something that will stand out in the crowd..

over a G for a reel... WTF!
I have trouble with over a hundred...:doh:

Goose
03-06-2006, 09:12 AM
I wonder if it is a transportation security connection facilitator for your integrated energy transfer lever and line control and reclamation coil containment device hard point ejector rack for your Silica Traversal Vehicle. Absolutely necessary for a >1000 smacker piscis extraction apparatus...

no kidding John, you wanna catch fish don't you?:D

$850 or $1450 it doesn't make a difference, theres a small crowd who thinks they need it.:rollem:

JohnR
03-06-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm not going to knock the fellar that wants a VS or a Zee or whatever. I have one VS and it is pretty sweet and handled a bunch of SBT very well. However, I want a solid, reliable, water proof, efficient surf casting reel for under $250. Should not be that hard to do IMO...

Goose
03-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Yeah I remember you telling me the details. I wonder how much $ it who take to get the "Redmond Salt Slut" on the market?

Mike P
03-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Somewhere in CT, Bill Preistberger is sitting in an easy chair, reading about this turkey, and laughing his ass off. I read $1425 as the list price, which runs you to $1500 with tax. Betcha a spare spool'll run 500 clams, easy.

As someone once said about the VS 400, the 4 lb offshore tuna abortion, "it's that crazy Dutchman's latest joke on guys with more money than brains" :rotfl:

Nebe
03-06-2006, 10:00 AM
Spence already has one on order. :rotfl:

ProfessorM
03-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Be a cold day in hell before I would spend that kind of money, even if I could afford it. It is pretty and all but why be sucked in. I don't think I even know anyone who could afford it.

Redsoxticket
03-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Neben you can use it as your backup to your VS which is the backup to your conv.. Besides I think you'll look cool with it.:rotfl:

MAC
03-06-2006, 10:27 AM

to hook your plug, I'd bet. Instead of putting the hook on the handle knob ;)

JohnR
03-06-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm sticking with my security cable attachment point for the Sled's rod rack :zup:

(but you are very good :hee: )

Redsoxticket
03-06-2006, 10:55 AM

How about a place to wrap your line to give you more leverage to pull when to get snaged on something out there. That will prevent roller damage.
Plug holder maybe, there doesn't appear to be enough room to clear the reel without possible scratching the finish.

Nebe
03-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Neben you can use it as your backup to your VS which is the backup to your conv.. Besides I think you'll look cool with it.:rotfl:

no friggin way.

but my vs is my backup reel :hihi:

eastendlu
03-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Sure i'll buy one but only after i win lotto megamillions.:rotf2:

wader-dad
03-06-2006, 11:36 AM
what is the latest on Penn comming out with a sealed bomb proof up to date 704 for under $250? Is that fact or fiction?

Pete F.
03-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Actually if you look at the price of fly reels, that are way less complex, VS reels are inexpensive. but I still won't buy one.

PNG
03-06-2006, 12:16 PM
what is the latest on Penn comming out with a sealed bomb proof up to date 704 for under $250? Is that fact or fiction?

Summerish...

Gloucester2
03-06-2006, 01:07 PM
The top one looks like it's already leaking oil :D

In The Surf
03-06-2006, 01:30 PM

In looking closely at the picture it appears that the reel stem is offset and is part of the whole reel being balanced and a place to hang a plug.

BigBo
03-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Looks like the drag adjustment is accomplished via palming that top cap.?? Since there's no knob to turn. How easy will that work with wet or slimey hands or people with arthritis problems once the wet and cold sets in? I think I'd rather have a simple knob on the front.:huh:

Redsoxticket
03-06-2006, 02:30 PM
How about a place to wrap your line to give you more leverage to pull when to get snaged on something out there. That will prevent roller damage.
Plug holder maybe, there doesn't appear to be enough room to clear the reel without possible scratching the finish.
or
Security mount bracket for attaching a locking device or stablizing the reel when it is in a rod holder.

Fishpart
03-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Cool, if you can get one God Bless you. I'll have to sell my van to buy one and be lucky enough to buy a bag of Sluggos with the leftover............

I saw an Okuma that handles SBFT with no trouble and is still in action. Let me tell you that thing hasn't had any maintenance other than a salt water wash down....

MAC
03-06-2006, 03:28 PM
or
Security mount bracket for attaching a locking device or stablizing the reel when it is in a rod holder.

:wall: I'm telling ya again. it is for securing the plug:usd: If you are concerned about it hitting the reel and scratching it turn the plug upside down

maddog2020
03-06-2006, 11:26 PM
I hook my lure on to the side of my largest guide. Why would you want the treble hooks so close to your hands in case ya wipe out on the rocks?!

If that dumb post is for a plug I bet they will get sued as soon as they sell one since it WILL land on it and break a rib, or drive the hook into your belly. :( In the real world, we all stumble and fall on top our our gear.

Could that thing be a spot to lash a wrist cord/security rope?

I'm sure it must say somewhere, but it is more fun to guess it's purpose.... lol.

The reel could cost a lot less if it wasn't for all the DUMB holes all over it. Why ya need holes around the line roller. :P All reels look the same in the dark - no?

I remember seeing the VS400 for under $1400 - should have purchased some and sold them for a lot more # on Ebay. ;) Would have been a better return than my 401K stocks!

Skitterpop
03-06-2006, 11:33 PM
and buy one just to look at...you know take turns :usd:

That is just too much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :eek5:

ThrowingTimber
03-06-2006, 11:36 PM
*beep* Hello onstar.. I just lost a jig

onstar - We'll have that jig back to you in 10-15 minutes..

Thank you onstar!!!

:devil:

JohnR
03-07-2006, 08:23 AM
*beep* Hello onstar.. I just lost a jig

onstar - We'll have that jig back to you in 10-15 minutes..

Thank you onstar!!!

:devil:

:rotfl::rotfl:

PLASTICPIRATE
03-08-2006, 07:24 AM
I was in a Connecticut tackle shop yesterday. The owner said he already has deposits for the 1st 5 reels he can get his hands on. He is selling them for over 1500.00.

wader-dad
03-18-2006, 05:18 PM
I met Robert W Koelewyn, the designer and maker ane say the reel at Pat Abate's surf show today. I was very impressed with him. I did not get the feeling he was designing some chi chi reel to sucker yuppies- but that he decided to in his mind design the very best reel he could imagine bringing together his vast experience at Van Staal and as the owner of an aerospace manufacturing machine shop. He put alot of thought into the reel which looks like it is a peice of a blackhawk helicopter. Workmanship is amazing. If I had a ton of money I would think about it. But I don't. Again, I think the guy has the proper intentions. The price I think was $1200.

numbskull
03-18-2006, 10:20 PM
I met Robert W Koelewyn, the designer and maker ane say the reel at Pat Abate's surf show today. I was very impressed with him. I did not get the feeling he was designing some chi chi reel to sucker yuppies- but that he decided to in his mind design the very best reel he could imagine bringing together his vast experience at Van Staal and as the owner of an aerospace manufacturing machine shop. He put alot of thought into the reel which looks like it is a peice of a blackhawk helicopter. Workmanship is amazing. If I had a ton of money I would think about it. But I don't. Again, I think the guy has the proper intentions. The price I think was $1200.

Sort of depends on your definition of "the proper intentions". Might I suggest that designing and building a Ferarri, where price is no object, is a much easier (and infinitely less useful) task than designing and building a Toyota? The fishing world needs better 706s, not better Van Staals.

wader-dad
03-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Don't get me wrong-I will be the first one to buy a dunkproof 706z which is what I need. However, it is nice to know that american craftmanship and enginnering is alive an well in a factory in Milford Connecticut. Even though this guy is sparing no expense, what he made could not be considered easy. My timex watch is waterproof and tells time and that is all that I need. But it ok by me that there are a few Patek Phillipe masterpeices out there to advance the art of watchmaking.

spence
03-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Spence already has one on order. :rotfl:
Yea, but only because they didn't have taupe in stock. It's hell matching these brown wading boots!

-spence

piemma
03-19-2006, 06:00 AM
Let's be serious here. I fished with 3, 704's converted to manual pick-up for the last 30 years. Probably caught 5000+ bass and blue. My family chipped in and bought me a VS250 2 years ago. Great reel.

Would I buy one for myself...no. Is it worth the money...yes.
Would I spend $1,500 for a spinning reel. No way! I have driven cars that cost less....
Just got to put it in perspective. I make pretty good money and can afford one but I feel that the price is excessive regardless of the quality/features. I mean, my God, it's fishing ! Maybe if I was commercial and really needed one to put food on the table I'd consider it but I think that the price is out of line for a hobby. You can buy 2 VS250s with money left over for waders and an Aquaskinz top for that price. Just my opinion.

JFigliuolo
03-19-2006, 06:45 AM
Let's be serious here. I fished with 3, 704's converted to manual pick-up for the last 30 years. Probably caught 5000+ bass and blue. My family chipped in and bought me a VS250 2 years ago. Great reel.

Would I spend $1,500 for a spinning reel. No way! I have driven cars that cost less....
Just got to put it in perspective. I make pretty good money and can afford one but I feel that the price is excessive regardless of the quality/features. I mean, my God, it's fishing ! Maybe if I was commercial and really needed one to put food on the table I'd consider it but I think that the price is out of line for a hobby. You can buy 2 VS250s with money left over for waders and an Aquaskinz top for that price. Just my opinion.

:claps: :claps:

Raven
03-19-2006, 07:19 AM
i'd have to sleep with it each night...

it just made the Saltiga affordable...

ditto on the holes....decorative ......water sprayer...

dream on... dutch dude.

Pete_G
03-19-2006, 08:38 AM

That's basically my feeling. More then twice as much as a VS? Is it twice as good? I just have trouble believing that.

People will definitely buy it though.

"He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it - namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to obtain."

- Mark Twain, "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer"

cheferson
03-19-2006, 08:58 AM
If peole are lining up to buy this water at $30 , why not a $1200 reel?:huh:

JohnR
03-19-2006, 09:20 AM
I think it comes down to the VS debate on steroids...

If it is the best reel in the world, some serious anglers will buy it for that reason. The other significant sales will be from those that want to be seen with it... I really like the VS and I probably would like this one too but it is tough - for me - to justify stocking the stable with the current VS and Saltiga rate...

Me, I'm still looking for the sub $250 submersible reel. Imagine if the Nautil did not have a PLASTIC :doh: housing . That reel would have been a lot better...

Karl F
03-19-2006, 09:32 AM
chef...
Great point.
There is a niche market for everyone. People paying 30 bucks for a drink of water, and the guy grabbing the free stuff outta the bubbler, both thirst quenched.
Where I work, true story, very weel dressed young guy comes to counter with a $59 bottle of Grey Goose Vodka, I'm just finishing up waiting on a biker dude with a 9.99 bottle of Guzzlers Vodka.. biker guy looks at the young fellow, winks, and holds up his jug.. "Both do the same thing, get ya drunk, make ya puke, only difference is, I wake up with an extra $50 in my pocket!"... maybe, maybe not :huh:... young guy just looked like he was disgusted...
Like my friend that sells used cars says, "There is an ass for every seat!"

I gotta buy another spinning reel soon, (new 1088) don't wanna (really can't) go over 150 bucks.... wanna good one tho.....

NIB
03-19-2006, 09:47 AM
While we are Quoting people PT Barnam Said "theres a sucker born every day".

Joe
03-19-2006, 10:36 AM
I think we are more apt to see a dunkable, improved 704/6 clone at $400-$500 before we are likely to see one at $130-$250.
Why would a company take on the inherent risk and cost of a new product for the lower end of the market when there is nothing in the middle? Now, they may say they mean to produce it cheaply and they may solict input to that end, but I really can't see them passing up the vacum that exists in that middle range.
I think VS has got it down pretty good with respect to price matching quality - how much more value can you add in order to justify another layer on the market?

ProfessorM
03-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Over time I have heard a lot of guys talking about the 704/6 reels. I don't fish with them, nor have I ever, but it seems that everyone seems to think that they are a great reel as far as price and durability. Seems to me to be a reel for the common man, which I am one of and probably make up most of the fisherman out there. It would be great to be able to afford 1500 dollar reels but I sure in hell can't. Most think that they could be made better and would be willing to pay additional money if these upgrades could be addressed. I would love to know what modifications would need to be made to make them better. Maybe it is something that could be done at a reasonable cost, maybe not. Maybe it has already been done. Anyone know? Anyone got a busted one they don't use that I could take a look at to see if I might be able to figure something out. Not saying I can but would like to maybe give it a try. Hope this doesn't fall under the spam heading if so sorry and never mind. Paul

piemma
03-19-2006, 11:25 AM
So if I could change anything on a 704 it would be to make the dog spring stronger and the body and drag system waterproof. other than those 2 things, it's a great reel.

tattoobob
03-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Other than the things that Piemma said a paint that dosen't rash

Marc Z
03-19-2006, 11:41 AM
First let me say that I am not justifying this reel, just giving you the info that I got. I saw this thing and spoke to the maker yesterday at River's End. It's $1,299 and what he said is that the holes on the knob allow air to pass thru to allow longer casts???? Whatever. And that duhickey that sticks off of the stem is a switch for the reel if you want it with a bail that allows manual flip of the bail or automatic, and also serves as a hook hanger.
I still use a 20 year old 704 as my main reel and it still catches many bass.

Mike P
03-19-2006, 12:36 PM
It's $1,299 and what he said is that the holes on the knob allow air to pass thru to allow longer casts???? Whatever.

:rollem: :laughs: :rotf2:

JohnR
03-19-2006, 12:45 PM
First let me say that I am not justifying this reel, just giving you the info that I got. I saw this thing and spoke to the maker yesterday at River's End. It's $1,299 and what he said is that the holes on the knob allow air to pass thru to allow longer casts???? Whatever. And that duhickey that sticks off of the stem is a switch for the reel if you want it with a bail that allows manual flip of the bail or automatic, and also serves as a hook hanger.
I still use a 20 year old 704 as my main reel and it still catches many bass.

Hi Marc :wavey:
Over time I have heard a lot of guys talking about the 704/6 reels. I don't fish with them, nor have I ever, but it seems that everyone seems to think that they are a great reel as far as price and durability. Seems to me to be a reel for the common man, which I am one of and probably make up most of the fisherman out there. It would be great to be able to afford 1500 dollar reels but I sure in hell can't. Most think that they could be made better and would be willing to pay additional money if these upgrades could be addressed. I would love to know what modifications would need to be made to make them better. Maybe it is something that could be done at a reasonable cost, maybe not. Maybe it has already been done. Anyone know? Anyone got a busted one they don't use that I could take a look at to see if I might be able to figure something out. Not saying I can but would like to maybe give it a try. Hope this doesn't fall under the spam heading if so sorry and never mind. Paul

Yeh, I got one... PM coming

Skitterpop
03-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Daiwa Black Golds or something else to beat to piss for that price....no way here :doh:

I`m not marrying a friggen reel