View Full Version : Gibbs 1oz Pencil Popper

Sluggoslinger
03-07-2006, 09:08 AM
What do you guys think about this product. Was on the site last night and was going to order some Gibbs stuff but didn't end up doing it. Would this be a good to use from a boat around monomoy?

theSURF121
03-07-2006, 09:14 AM
I think the Cotton Cordell 1 oz is a better pencil. Cheaper too! They come in yellow and bone now also.

Flaptail
03-07-2006, 09:17 AM
The 1oz PP is a great plug. If your going to fish around Monomoy though my advice is to go to at least the 1-1/2oz or 2oz. White has always been the predominant color choice when I plug around Monomoy. Yellow is choice number two but a distant choice compared to white. Look to the flats southwest of the lighthouse on the Chatham Roads side for excellent plugging over the grass patches at high water in summer. Lots of good sized Bluefish can be had there and they put up quite a show in shallow water.

numbskull
03-07-2006, 09:33 AM
The smaller Gibbs pencil has always seemed to me to be a different beast than their larger pencils. It has more of a walk the dog action than the slapping action of the bigger versions. I agree it is a fantastic big bluefish plug, particularly when they are on small bait and fussy. I haven't done as well on bass with it. Their 2oz Pencil popper, however, is one of the best, or possibly even THE BEST, daytime bass lure ever invented.

baldwin
03-07-2006, 10:04 AM
I agree. For smaller pencils, I like Cordell. For larger I go Gibbs. I love the 3.25(?) oz Gibbs for VERY windy, CHOPPY days. It will ride the surf without getting tossed as much as lighter plugs. The 2oz will actually throw better, though.

Finlander
03-07-2006, 12:20 PM
The Gibb 1oz white P.P. is my go to surface plug, have taken bass to 30 lbs on this plug both in Rhode Island and on Cape. Yellow would second choice. I much prefer wood over plastic. Did start late last season fishing 2-3 oz P.P. and did well with the larger size as well.

fcap60
03-07-2006, 12:37 PM
I have a bunch of the oldie Gibbs ( all with Cape Cod) addresses on the packages, but I don't really use the small ones

baldwin
03-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Hey Capone,
You using that Danny I gave you? Maybe if you're lucky I'll alter it for you some day the way I altered the one I use at Cuttyhunk.

Fisherwoman
03-08-2006, 12:32 PM
White with the red head, which you don't see much anymore is one of the most awesome pensils out there bar none, its Baitcaster 1st choice, Cotton cordel blueback chrome and you are golden. You should have both in your bag. One floats and rattles the other semi floats and slithers very well. The slower you go the more it drives the big girls crazy. :eek5: We have taken bass to 40 lbs on both in the 1 oz size. Can't go wrong with either one. We also have some in the bigger sizes to get out there farther.:rotfl: