View Full Version : Remember The "Creature Double Feature"?

BigFish
03-08-2006, 07:00 PM
When I was a kid (also when most of you were kids) do you remember watching the "Creature Double Feature" on channel 56 on Saturday nights?:err: :eek5: :spidey: :eek: I think it was Dale Doorman who hosted it? They would show classic horror movies like "Attack of the Mushroom People"...."The Head That Wouldn't Die"...."The Killer Shrews"........and one of my favorite campy greats...."The Two Headed Transplant" with Ray Milland and Rosey Grear!!!:laughs:

BigFish
03-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Saturday afternoon also had "The Chiller Thriller" on channel 4 or 5 (I forget which) at 4:00!:bl: More classic horror with "Tarantula"...."20,000 Miles To Earth"....."The Thing"!!!!!:eyes:

Damn I loved being a kid!!!! Kids today seem to miss things like that!

Raven
03-08-2006, 07:28 PM
i saw it at the movies and it was real real creepy...

one of my favorites though was the movie Cal tiki

the moving blob...that could swallow you up
and if you didnt own a tiki doll statue :rollem:

(hawaian totem pole carved wood) it was gonna get ya.

during that time though....i began fishing in my brother's kayak
in the charles river...ok

so this one day...i'm paddling around and didnt have a fishing pole
on this particular day....and i chanced to venture into this little cove.
it was formed by the outflow pipe from all the golf courses.

i paddled in there in stealth mode hoping to see some monster fish
and there he was, a big ole pickeral or pike 32 inches long in water a foot
and half deep....sooo big ,beautiful with everything still and silent and calm....

i was mezmerized watching this fish wishing i had a rod.
then right next to it....this log...the size of a football started
to float to the surface and i thought ....hmmm this is really strange.
it was covered in a thick coat of river mud....

SUDDENLY! there was this HUGE Water surge and i was nearly capsized.........
as a gigantic snapping turtle grabbed the pickeral in his jaws and stood up momentarilly with the pickeral struggling real hard to escape thashing and slapping the turtles shell on both sides as a huge wave lifted me and the kayak and pushing me away.

the mud shook loose and i'll tell yah that thing was the biggest scariest
lookin snapper turtle i had ever seen with spiked horns on his head and blood was squirting
what a horendous commotion from a completely dead silence.
hold your arms out in a big half circle.....thats how big it was...

after that TV monsters were no longer as scary and not as real.:rtfm:

Raven
03-08-2006, 07:50 PM
up the river aways.....there was this little picnic spot...
and this young couple with their new baby decided to have a summer picnic next to the river....and as the story goes...they got out of the car,,,,found a nice smooth grassy spot....spread the blanket
and set the baby down for just a minute while they both walked back to the car....20 feet away to get all the goodies..wine ,cheese
sandwiches, ect. which took only thirty seconds.....but when they turned around to their ultimate horror their screaming baby was now in the jaws of a huge snapper turtle that took off back into the river dragging the baby with it....as they ran towards it screaming bloody murder and it was never seen again.

for a week or so all the police were at the river with big chunks of meat and cables,shot guns and ammo hauling every turtle to shore
shooting them and breaking them open trying to find the baby
killer but never did. Talk about mosters.

Slingah
03-08-2006, 07:57 PM
loved it....but I think Creature Double Feature was on Saturday afternoon

basswipe
03-08-2006, 07:58 PM
loved it....but I think Creature Double Feature was on Saturday afternoon

It was Saturday afternoon.

Creature Feature was at night.

CAL
03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
I thought Creature Double Feature was the afternoon one.
Yeah, I used to watch it. Usually had Godzilla VS King Kong or Ghidora or Mothra or Rodan or.........:rotf2:

Ever see War Of The Gargantuans? I stayed up late watching that one in my room when I wasn't supposed to......had nightmares for weeks :err:

basswipe
03-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Ever see War Of The Gargantuans? I stayed up late watching that one in my room when I wasn't supposed to......had nightmares for weeks :err:

That was one of my favorites.I always liked those imaginary Japanese weapons like those tanks that shot electricity.

Can't forget Gamara the flying turtle monster!

basswipe
03-08-2006, 08:04 PM
My all time favorites were the Hammer Dracula movies with Christopher Lee.That guy was scary.

BigFish
03-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Before it was on during the day it was at night......I remember vividly because I always tried to get my parents to let me stay up to watch the show!:happy:

Raven
03-08-2006, 08:53 PM
i ever saw as a kid was

was it the twighlight zone maybe...?

that episode with william shatner
all nervous about flying on the airplane...

and when he finally opened the curtain and that abominable snowman was on the wing with it's face pressed up against the glass

that freaked me right the fok out...knocked me backwards
and i was afraid to look out windows for monsters for many years afterwards... :uhuh:

pete santini
03-08-2006, 09:24 PM
I can't remember the name of the show but it went like this. the opening scene there was this beautiful dark haired woman set back in the 1700s somewhere,she was accused of being a witch or vampire These executioners held her down and put a iron mask with spikes in it up to her gorgeous face, then one of the executioners Winds up with a huge wooden mallet and Wham smashes the mask into her kisser. Forward about 100 years later some guys goes into a mausoleum where the vampire is buried opens the casket and pulls the mask off her face JUST THEN A BAT APPEARS OUT OF NOWHERE AND BITE THE GUY ON THE HAND FORCING SOME OF THE BLOOD ON THE SKULL OF THE WITCH. She then comes back to life, I DON'T REMEMBER THE NAME OF IT IT WAS SOMETHING BLACK.but it was spooky

justplugit
03-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Creature From The Black Lagoon kinda made me think twice about swimming in lakes with seaweed.:pop:
Great white off of Woods Hole made me think twice about wading at night. :shocked:

basswipe
03-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Here's a link to a site dedicated to 56's Creature Double Feature.

http://www.geocities.com/dzilla1964/

pete santini
03-08-2006, 10:15 PM
I GOOGLED THE MOVIE BLACK SUNDAY THE MASK OF THE DEMON 1960 Barbara STEELE WAS THE witch with the bigguns

Sea Dangles
03-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Wasn't that hosted by "the ghoul"?

Goose
03-08-2006, 10:49 PM
I forgot about creature double feature and twighlight zone, good stuff, I also got into 'Hitchcock Presents'

Slinger
03-08-2006, 11:34 PM
When I was a kid, and that was a very long time ago, there used to be a program on Fri night at midnight called Chiller that showed horror movies. Back then they cranked them out weekly. I remember when my mother wouldn`t let me go see the original version of The Blob with Steve Mc Queen cause it was to scary. More recently there was Elvira Mistress of the Dark, now that was a winning pair, oh yeah she showed movies too!
Slinger

The Dad Fisherman
03-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Oh those were the Days.....I couldn't wait for the Creature Double feature to come on. It brought us some of the Classics (and I use the Term Loosely)

Zontar, the Thing From Venus
"X" the Man with X-ray Eyes
Attack of the Mushroom People
All The Toho Monsters- Godzilla, Mothra, Ghidra, Gammera, Rodan.

These were some of the worse movies ever made....and I couldn't wait to see them. I still find them at the Video store occassionally and rent them for my kids to watch....they actually love them. Right now we are working our way therough the Entire 1st season DVD of the original Outer Limits.

Chiller Theatre was the one that would actually show you some of the Higher Production Value Universal Movies like Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Mummy, With some of those AI Nuclear Age Big Bug Mutation Paranoia flicks mixed in like Them, The Deadly Mantis, Tarantula, and the Day the World Ended.

And then there were the "Size Matters" flicks like The Amazing Collosal Man, Attack of the 50 Foot Woman, Dr. Cyclops, and The Incredible Shrinking Man.

Can you tell I was a Big Fan of those Movies. Man I wish they would bring that back....I bet the kids today would still get a kick out of seeing them.

Trivia Questiion: Who was the Actor that Played "The Thing" in the original Movie?

basswipe
03-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Trivia Questiion: Who was the Actor that Played "The Thing" in the original Movie?

James Arness.

The Dad Fisherman
03-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Sherriff Matt Dillon Himself

What a lot of people don't realize is that a lot of actors started out in Horror/SciFi Movies....some REALLY Bad

Look at some of Todays Actors

Demi Moore - Parasite
Jessica Lange - King Kong
Kevin Bacon - Friday the 13th
Jack Nicholson - Little Shop of Horrors, The Terror

I could easily dig up more.

Watch the Twilight Zone and Outer Limits....you'd be amazed at the actors that you know of that are in them.

striprman
03-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Feep and that other strange dude that liked eating something that looked like raw chicken necks...the..what was his name ?

ya, and creature feature...was Feep in that ?

I remember watching "monster movies" on Saturday nights, when I was a kid..so long ago..those were some good old times

Slingah
03-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Furnobulax....a very large poodle dog:hee:

Newboater
03-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Tales of the Crypt
Worked in a small store in High School back in the late 50's. This was before Comic Book Code came out. Scariest stories you'd wanna read. One had a guy who took pleasure in cooking lobstah. Said he could hear them screaming. One day his car crashed in a swamp or beach and he was trapped in it with steering column into his chest. Of course the car caught fire and the water boiled him in the drivers seat. Yikes
Sarge

striprman
03-09-2006, 03:47 PM
i saw it at the movies and it was real real creepy...

one of my favorites though was the movie Cal tiki

the moving blob...that could swallow you up
and if you didnt own a tiki doll statue :rollem:

(hawaian totem pole carved wood) it was gonna get ya.

during that time though....i began fishing in my brother's kayak
in the charles river...ok

so this one day...i'm paddling around and didnt have a fishing pole
on this particular day....and i chanced to venture into this little cove.
it was formed by the outflow pipe from all the golf courses.

i paddled in there in stealth mode hoping to see some monster fish
and there he was, a big ole pickeral or pike 32 inches long in water a foot
and half deep....sooo big ,beautiful with everything still and silent and calm....

i was mezmerized watching this fish wishing i had a rod.
then right next to it....this log...the size of a football started
to float to the surface and i thought ....hmmm this is really strange.
it was covered in a thick coat of river mud....

SUDDENLY! there was this HUGE Water surge and i was nearly capsized.........
as a gigantic snapping turtle grabbed the pickeral in his jaws and stood up momentarilly with the pickeral struggling real hard to escape thashing and slapping the turtles shell on both sides as a huge wave lifted me and the kayak and pushing me away.

the mud shook loose and i'll tell yah that thing was the biggest scariest
lookin snapper turtle i had ever seen with spiked horns on his head and blood was squirting
what a horendous commotion from a completely dead silence.
hold your arms out in a big half circle.....thats how big it was...

after that TV monsters were no longer as scary and not as real.:rtfm:

huh, I don't think too many people have seen anything like that...nature...

UserRemoved1
03-09-2006, 03:52 PM
THE BLOB

wow them was classics Larry. Some good memories of weekend afternoons in the "atomic room" of my granmothers house with the black and white then the new color tv my uncle bought.

Slammer223
03-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Striprman,Feep was the host of FANTASMIC FEATURES,all horror movies from the fifties and sixties.

UserRemoved1
03-09-2006, 03:53 PM
that was back in the days of the tv's that went clunk clunk clunk when you changed the channel and no remote.

How fast could you spin the uhf dial

Slammer223
03-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Yes,that sure was a long time ago.I just found out that the same guy who played Major Mudd (Ed McDonnell) also played Feep.I did not know that.The movies were bizzare like From Hell It Came,Brain from the Planet Eros,and Attack of the Giant Crab Monsters.And the original The Fly with David Hedison (from Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea) and Vincent Price.

striprman
03-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Striprman,Feep was the host of FANTASMIC FEATURES,all horror movies from the fifties and sixties.

I loved that, ya Feep was Major Mudd

ok, but who was that other freak I was thinking about... his show was cool.. 1972-73 ish... hmm..the..the... I forget.. old age..

ProfessorM
03-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Furnobulax....a very large poodle dog:hee:
Been seen approaching the power plant:eek5: :::: we may have to use nuclear force.:bl:

pete santini
03-10-2006, 02:23 PM
OK If FEEP Was Major Mud who was DOCTOR DEMENTO???

Van
03-10-2006, 04:26 PM
When I was a kid (also when most of you were kids) do you remember watching the "Creature Double Feature" on channel 56 on Saturday nights?:err: :eek5: :spidey: :eek: I think it was Dale Doorman who hosted it? They would show classic horror movies like "Attack of the Mushroom People"...."The Head That Wouldn't Die"...."The Killer Shrews"........and one of my favorite campy greats...."The Two Headed Transplant" with Ray Milland and Rosey Grear!!!:laughs:

It was "The brain that wouldn't die" had that chicks head in a pan on the table......CLASSIC !!!!!!!!!

I loved all those japanese monster movies too. Mothra ROCKS !!!!
I wonder how many godzilla movies were made...

I remember that 2-headed one with Greer, freaking hilarious.
PLUS all the basket case movies,,,with the evil head stuck to his brother's side. ABSOUTE GENIUS !!!!:bl:

BigFish
03-10-2006, 04:29 PM
It was so funny it looked like Ray Milland was just strapped to the back of Rosey Greer!:laugha: Too funny!:rotf2:

Van
03-10-2006, 04:31 PM
Before it was on during the day it was at night......I remember vividly because I always tried to get my parents to let me stay up to watch the show!:happy:

Maybe those were the ones "THE GHOUL" hosted, him with this cheez wizz. Remember that ...anyone ????

The Dad Fisherman
03-10-2006, 04:40 PM