View Full Version : Anyone been to the Bahamas

chipwood
03-09-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm just sitting here jonesing for warm weather and fish. My neighbor ( who I rarely talk to) just refurbished a lobster boat to winter in the Bahamas. I got on the Bahamas official website. It's a pretty good website. I remember watching Flip Pallot on cable when I had cable, catching bonefish and barracuda in the Bahamas. Andros, Bimini and The Exumas look relaxing and fishy. Seems like some of the islands have some life to them while others seem deserted with not much going on. Anyone have a good experience in the Bahamas? Looking for good food, snorkeling and of course a couple of days of fishing.

Squibby17
03-10-2006, 10:07 AM
I went last January and had a great time. I'm fortunate that one of my friends' father is very wealthy and basically took us on a tour of the bahamas on a 65 ft viking. We started in Nassua and went to Elethura, Cat island, Rum Cay and back to Nassau then to Boca Raton Florida. My favorite island was Cat Island real beautifull good fishing and the resort we stayed near had great food (can't remember the damn name). Caught a bunch of wahoo and mahi's. a few tuna and one damn big shark. I tried a little bone fishing but I'm a pretty crappy fly fisherman at this point. It was beautiful out on the flats thought, dont forget your camera.

The picture is from eleuthera

GoFish
03-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Just got back from Great Exuma last week. Incredibly beautiful, laid back, good food, and some of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Supposedly the world's best bonefishing, though I didn't get to fish. George Town has good airline service (Continental, Useless, American, BahamasAir). If you have a chance GO!:bo:

libassboy
03-10-2006, 11:57 AM
If your gonna go to the bahamas go to Atlantis resort on paradise island(off nassau). The place is huge and covered with lagoons, some are small other are gigantic. All kinds of crazy stuff swimming around in there, great food too.
Look it up online, the best hotel ive ever been to by far!

Hooper
03-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Went to Grand Bahama Island, loved it. I'd return anytime. Wasn't too expensive either.

labrax
03-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Went to Long Island for bonefishing 5 years ago - it was a trip that I will remember fondly for a long time. The bonefish there are not huge and it isn't the fanciest place around, but the accomodations and food were solid and it was a great time.

Pete

mekcotuit
03-10-2006, 01:12 PM
I am big fan of the Abacos...Marsh Harbour, Hopetown. Serene, beautiful, good fun, great people...good fishing. Usually rent a little cottage and they often come with a 16' or so CC to poke around and fish. Sounds good right about now!

taJon
03-10-2006, 01:19 PM
I was there a couple of weeks ago. Great Exuma to be exact. Got to stay for about 45 minutes, pretty sweet.

numbskull
03-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Be careful. Sight fishing in shallow water is addictive. When I started bonefishing years ago it ruined alot of other types of fishing for me. It was years before I broke the sight fishing jones and returned to night time plug fishing.

chipwood
03-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. Seems like it's pretty laid back down there. I'm gonna have to check out the suggestions. Now are the Bahamas a place to bring your wife or is it purely a fishing vacation. From what I've researched the lodging seems pretty cheap as are the rates for fishing.

Nebe
03-10-2006, 09:13 PM
RI-Rockhound is down there as I type this banging fish :wall:

heres some from today to get you pumped up Chip. :uhuh:

chipwood
03-10-2006, 09:33 PM
Amberjack. That's it, I'm going. One of these years. My wife just had a baby boy almost a month ago so for now I'll have to try and sneak out for some bucket yaps. I should've had this Bahamas idea last winter.

spence
03-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Congratulations, and just so you and your wife are on the same page...

You're not going anywhere :hs:

Be thankful if you get out to dinner in the next few months.

-spence

chipwood
03-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Yeah, our big thing these past few days has been going for a walk down the street after I get home from work.

spence
03-10-2006, 09:46 PM
A good start :btu:

-spence

chipwood
03-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Hey Eben, do you know where the Rockhound went down there?

Steve K
03-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Just got back from Grand Bahama. I went with my girlfriend and we both went bonefishing. We caught 5 bones and the largest one that she caught was about 7 pounds. I had a great time but watch out - it is spring break now. You have to pick where you stay carefully.

labrax
03-11-2006, 08:58 PM
When I went 5 years ago - there was not a lot if anything for a non-fishing partner to do in Deadman's Key.

Might have missed the trip by a year... :hs:. When I went my wife was pregnant - figured I'd get it in before the baby came as I didn't think I'd get a chance later on.

chipwood
03-12-2006, 10:12 AM
I talked to a friend who does'nt fish but went down to Grand Bahama. He stayed in an all inclusive resort( not what I'm really looking for). He said he had a great time. Being on the out islands might be it for me or maybe us(my wife). Going to an out of the way island and fishing during the day then eating conch and drinking a Kalik on the beach afterwards sounds good to me.:cheers: