View Full Version : Korker 5000, different spikes

cheferson
03-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Has anyone ever tried any of the other spikes they have? Threaded long spike, threaded regular spike, or the threaded sharp steel spike?? The carbide tips ussally fall off after a trip or two anyway, would these hold up about as good and save some money too??

fishaholic18
03-10-2006, 02:04 PM
I modified mine the same as you would do the 1000's with stainless machine screws.

cheferson
03-10-2006, 02:06 PM
How much longer do the stainless screws last over the carbide?

fishaholic18
03-10-2006, 02:08 PM
I used them all season and they are still in pretty decent shape.

Goose
03-10-2006, 03:18 PM
You can't expect your tips to last especialy if you put alot of miles on them. I've lost a few carbide tips but all in all I'm happy with them and will continue useing carbide. If your looseing tips of any kind in one or two trips theres something wrong and maybe you need to spend more for qaulity.

gldnbear93
03-10-2006, 03:37 PM
fishaholic

did you drill out the threaded inserts and then put the ss screws, nuts washers in, or did you thread the new screws right into the threaded inserts.

I broke some spikes off trying to remove them, now the shaft is still imbedded in the sandal but there is no spike and I can't get the little buggers out.

sorry to hijack the thread.

jim sylvester
03-10-2006, 03:42 PM
same here...great gripping power with machine srews.. a pain to change though because they get rounded...usually have to break out the sawzall for that job

fishaholic18
03-10-2006, 03:56 PM
fishaholic

did you drill out the threaded inserts and then put the ss screws, nuts washers in, or did you thread the new screws right into the threaded inserts.

I broke some spikes off trying to remove them, now the shaft is still imbedded in the sandal but there is no spike and I can't get the little buggers out.

sorry to hijack the thread.
Yup, drilled them out, wasn't bad to do.

cheferson
03-10-2006, 05:40 PM
If your looseing tips of any kind in one or two trips theres something wrong and maybe you need to spend more for qaulity.

Is there other better quality brands then what korkers sell???

fishaholic18
03-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Is there other better quality brands then what korkers sell???
I'm telling you Chef, modify them.

Joe
03-10-2006, 06:57 PM
http://65.36.235.132/merchant2/graphics/00000001/Picture%20577.jpg
Studded Felts (http://65.36.235.132/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SRIOTS&Product_Code=K025&Category_Code=K)
The studded felts from Korkers are an excellent value and will save you from needing to use Korkers a significant percentage of your fishing time.
They are cheap, light and the studs last a long time. I'm surprised that people have not gravitated more to them. They are all you need at the breachways. Its about a one hour project before and after the glue sets. Take note of the studs they use - they are a unibody and galvanized with a wide base, they stick well to the sole of the felt they are applied to.

NIB
03-10-2006, 07:17 PM
At 250 lbs I blow thru the old korkers i mean i would loose 3 spikes in the first night.i have found the gladiator sandals buy hodgeman hold up alot better It all depends on the terrain.them boots from LL bean Nebe wheres are nice in the head size bolders an the sandstone like granite of RI.They have a lower profile so u don't roll as much when u walk. on large granite jetty rocks them things can be dangerous.As well as the screw stud replacements.no good on big wet or even worse DRY jetty rock.U need the bite of carbide to keep ya from slipping.So i reccomend the galdiators an some kinda boot type studded shoe.I have a pair of chota's i'm gonna rig em up wit these.http://www.bergstromskegs.com/tg/tg_main.htm

Sea Dangles
03-10-2006, 09:07 PM
I have the same problem NIB.I don't exactly jump around but I blow off studs really fast.

Nebe
03-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Piemma turned me on to these.. the spikes last a long time and you never get sand in them :rotf2:

Joe's studded felts rule :kewl:

Goose
03-10-2006, 10:40 PM
I haven't had a problem with the ones Joe mentioned, very aggresive once there broken in, best replaceable soles IMO. Orvis's henry forks is a good boot with alot of support not as aggresive but good for long outings. Find deals, haveing two pairs to alternate makes life easier.

basswipe
03-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Here you go.

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=18965&highlight=korker+mods

Sixth post down.What more needs to be said.

NIB
03-11-2006, 12:59 AM
What needs to be said is if u where them on a Jetty in NJ u will be lucky to only break ur ass an bruise ur ego.the stainless is more dangerous on some rock than nothing at all.

Skitterpop
03-11-2006, 06:47 AM
Piemma turned me on to these.. the spikes last a long time and you never get sand in them :rotf2:

And you get to use the ballwasher :as:

Joe's studded felts rule :kewl:

:scatter:

Striperhound
03-11-2006, 07:53 AM
take a look at the boot-tracs product