View Full Version : Wading Boot ?

luds
03-11-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm buying a pair of LL Bean Ultra Light wading shoes. I'm a size 12 and will be wearing them with breathable waders with a neoprene foot.

Am I correct that I need to buy a size bigger to fit with the neoprene foot? I've never had stocking foot waders before and I don't feel like driving to Maine to try them on.

Thanks for the help!

nightfighter
03-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Mike,
Bean is having their Spring Fishing Expo on March 16-19. Maybe some deals??? If you (or someone else) go, I'll send you my coupon for a FREE box of flies!

afterhours
03-11-2006, 06:01 PM
i've got a pair of bean wading boots that are 1/2 size larger than my shoe size and wear them over a pair of neoprenes and they work. love the bean boots!

luds
03-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Mike,
Bean is having their Spring Fishing Expo on March 16-19. Maybe some deals??? If you (or someone else) go, I'll send you my coupon for a FREE box of flies!

Thanks Ross. I'll let you know. We will be seeing each other in not too long! :soon:

luds
03-11-2006, 07:00 PM
i've got a pair of bean wading boots that are 1/2 size larger than my shoe size and wear them over a pair of neoprenes and they work. love the bean boots!

Since I wear a 12 the next size up is a 13. I'm a little worried they may be huge.

labrax
03-11-2006, 07:20 PM
I can't comment on the Bean boots - but I think the wading boot sizes vary a good deal from manfacturer to manufacturer. I wear 11 dress shoe and 11.5 sneaker for the most part.

I had some Cabelas wading boots that were 11's and they are snug with neoprenes in them. I had a pair of 11 Hodgeman flats style booties and wearing neoprene stocking foots I had to jam my foot in and it was not comfortable at all. I bought a pair of 12 Orvis flats boots and they are very roomy - enough so I can wear a pair of extra socks underneath. If I want I could remove the inner neoprene sock they come with and wear them with really heavy stockingfoot waders. It would make the boot almost like a 3/4 hightop and there would be plenty of room. I guess my point is that it is hard to tell what the fit will be without trying them on (I know that is stating the obvious).

I'd call them up and ask someone in the fishing department how they run. The one thing you won't be sorry about is their return policy, so if you do not get the right size - you can ship them back. There is enough time between the season starting so even if you had to exchange them you should have plenty of time.

Having cramped feet is a real bummer, so I would err on going slightly larger. Not the worst thing in the world to be able to throw on a thicker sock underneath the waders, or add a polypro sock liner, especially when the boot portion develops a leak - like they all seem to.

Good luck with your purchase.

Pete

cheferson
03-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Just got a pair of ultra lights this week, im a 12 also. I got size 14 and with my breathables theyre a good fit. I got the wicked tuff breathables, dont know if these soles are thicker then what you have.

luds
03-11-2006, 07:26 PM
I think I might try the 13's. At least they soccer moms walking their dogs along the beach will think I have big feet. :lm: