View Full Version : Who's Better?

Duke41
03-13-2006, 11:02 PM
The battle of the bands!!

Raider Ronnie
03-14-2006, 01:25 AM
Tough choice between the origional Skynard band before their plane crash and the Allman Bros before Duane died,
But I think the Skynard band before the plane crash would have been one of the greatest southern rock bands ever.

Sudsrat
03-14-2006, 05:44 AM
Tough choice.
I voted for the Allman's.

Raven
03-14-2006, 06:01 AM
hands down.... if you compared them @ the time they were all alive...

saw them in concert... and they kicked ass.

afterhours
03-14-2006, 06:40 AM
in my opinion this is too easy- the original allman bros. quite possibly the best band EVER. sorry but the skynard boys could'nt carry duane and #^&#^&#^&#^&eys guitar cases. saw them both live.

Raider Ronnie
03-14-2006, 06:43 AM
hands down.... if you compared them @ the time they were all alive...

saw them in concert... and they kicked ass.

Allen Collins was a GREAT guitar player!!!
Though he didn't die in the crash, He was never the same after the crash and the he crashed his car a few different times with him ending up in a wheel chair and eventually dying.

BigBo
03-14-2006, 07:05 AM
Allman Bros head and shoulders above L.S.
How does Steve Miller even fit into the equation? The guys music just grates on me!:huh: :hidin:

Duke41
03-14-2006, 09:38 AM
he really doesn't does he

ProfessorM
03-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Duane

LeCounts1099
03-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Allmans with Duane! :smokin: Only Hendrix & Gilmour were at or above Duanes' level!

In fact, Duanes' work on Claptons' Layla album alone surpassed any music or guitar- playing by the Skynyrd boys (great in their own right, no doubt) IMHO. Duane was as important-- or more so-- than Clapton on that album...

STREETFIGHT
03-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Abb w/out a doubt- i'll be there next week...... warren is no duane but he cranks it out!!!!

The Dad Fisherman
03-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Who Voted for Steve Miller??? :shocked:

jim sylvester
03-14-2006, 02:31 PM
Allman brothers without a doubt.. not only a better band than the other two( which are all good bands, but allmans has the best live album ever with filmore

Rappin Mikey
03-14-2006, 02:40 PM
Allman Allday

The Iceman 6
03-14-2006, 04:03 PM
Everyday, checking them out again @ Beacon Theatre next Sat.

Mike P
03-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Every single one of the original Allmans was/is a first class musician--well, maybe Gregg is an average organist but he had one of the great blues voices of all time.

Listen---really listen--to the interplay between Butch Trucks and Jaimoe. Seamless. Lots of people who don't know the band think there's only one drummer.

And, just before he died, Duane did some jazz work with Herbie Mann on an album called "Push, Push". He was one of the most talented musicians ever to play in a rock band.

Slipknot
03-14-2006, 07:04 PM
There isn't any question The Allman Bros. Band is and always will be the best Southern rock band.

Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzman were pretty seamless themselves too.

Duane was among the best of the best for sure. I followed their music thru the years and have seen them many times. Not always a great show but had a good time either way. Greg knows his stuff too.

Steve Miller? people don't even know what he looks like :huh: he used to ride a bicycle around the parking lots before concerts because he was not recognized. I would not classify his music as southern rock, it's nowhere near that, more like some kind of poprock.

BigFish
03-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Allman Bros. period! Hendrix and Gilmore at or above Duanes level???? I think Duane Allman was one of the best ever.....Hendrix without a doubt and even Gilmore I enjoy but you actually think these 3 guys are the top 3 pickers of all time?:hs:

vineyardblues
03-14-2006, 07:20 PM
bob dylan

vb

ps sorry paul :)

><>

pps. sorry , did not see southern rock ,,,still like Bob D...

Karl F
03-14-2006, 07:22 PM
I saw a documentary about Muscle Shoals Recording studio a couple of weeks ago. Duane talked his way into becoming a studio musician there pre band days. He played on a lot of artists records.
The engineer spoke of the Derrick and the Dominoes recordings.. he was pretty kind, mentioned how "tired" ;) Eric Clapton was, (that was his ruff years with smack, if ya remember), and was having difficulty with the guitar playing, he asked Duane if he could come up with some riffs for Layla, they showed some old footage, man I was blown away, I bet a lot of folks thought that was all Clapton, it appeared like Eric was maybe playing rythm, at best, while Duane was doing the lead work.
I listen now, and I can pick out his signature style, here and there.
LS put on a helluva live show, but, Allman Bros, Fillmore East, still my all time favorite live album...

Steve Miller??? :huh: different class altogether.

afterhours
03-14-2006, 07:25 PM
filmore east is always in the rotation in the cave!

vineyardblues
03-14-2006, 07:28 PM
I must say I did see Lynyrd Skynyrd with special guest stars Johnny and Edgar Winter in 1978 ,,It was a great show!
VB

Mike P
03-14-2006, 08:03 PM
The engineer spoke of the Derrick and the Dominoes recordings.. he was pretty kind, mentioned how "tired" ;) Eric Clapton was, (that was his ruff years with smack, if ya remember), and was having difficulty with the guitar playing, he asked Duane if he could come up with some riffs for Layla, they showed some old footage, man I was blown away, I bet a lot of folks thought that was all Clapton, it appeared like Eric was maybe playing rythm, at best, while Duane was doing the lead work.
I listen now, and I can pick out his signature style, here and there.

Easy way to tell Karl. Left speaker---Duane

Right speaker---Clapton.

That's how it works on my Jeep speakers, anyhoos ;)

Raider Ronnie
03-14-2006, 08:08 PM
I must say I did see Lynyrd Skynyrd with special guest stars Johnny and Edgar Winter in 1978 ,,It was a great show!
VB

You sure it was 1978 ???
Their plane crash happened in 1977

Slingah
03-15-2006, 06:53 AM
another vote for the Allmans.....they are just way too good

vineyardblues
03-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by vineyardblues
VB

You sure it was 1978 ???
Their plane crash happened in 1977

Nope not sure at all , It was in the 70's I am sure I still have the ticket stub someplace.
As they say. If you remember the 60's /70's you were not there:)

janiejones
03-17-2006, 11:18 AM
The Allmans, but of course!

My boy Duane plays some beautiful guitar. Almost brings tears to my eyes. :drool:

LeCounts1099
03-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi, Bigfish! :wave:

If you do know better Guitar- players, than Jimi H., David Gilmour, & Duane Allman... please tell me the names! I'd love to hear them!

The only ones I know who are close are Jeff Beck, Clapton, Alex Lifeson, Alvin Lee, Santana, Randy Rhoads (& maybe Howling Wolf)... But that's about it? Yes, I think my first three are better still than these!

Though: I admit I'm not a huge Zappa, Segovia, Vai, Jerry G. nor McGlochlin fan... at least not as compared to the names above! Is one of these names who you meant? (And have you heard all Gilmours' work? Solo & all Floyd?? His first solo album was killer!) :smokin:

I often get tears when I hear the brilliance of Duane (& Jimi & Randy & Skynyrd & Pretenders) too, Janie! Truly, mostly the "best die young!")

BigFish
03-17-2006, 01:48 PM
If you think Steve Vai rates that high then we need not even have the discussion.......Stevie Ray Vaughn gets my vote up there with Clapton, Hendrix, Duane Allman and maybe 1 or 2 others......Santana, Beck and Jimmy Page are there too!

Before you slam me for Stevie.....I have seen him live about 10 times and I have seen Beck, Clapton about a dozen times.....never seen better than Stevie Ray and I have seen many of the best around besides those listed. Stevie Ray Vaughn was on a whole different plateau when he played!:btu:

For the record I respect your opinions....this is all about what we like personally when you boil it down.:btu:

BigFish
03-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Oh....and Zappa??? YUCK!:yak:

LeCounts1099
03-17-2006, 02:15 PM
We're on the same page, BF! I simply guessed you'd say names like Garcia, Vai & J.M. & Jorma, or whoever, were better than Duane! Bet others here will! :humpty:

Stevie Ray was great live... but can his studio stuff really match Duane & Jimi's best? Wasn't Stevie to a large degree a Hendrix disciple/ imitator? Can't accept he was Jimi or Gilmour- good?

Other honorable mentions of the great "pickers" (on the third- level down from my "big three" & next set of names):

James Honeyman- Scott (Pretenders); Steve Howe (Yes, Asia); Dave Mason, Traffic/ Solo; Neil Schon (early Santana & Journey); Mick Taylor (Stones); Brian Jones (Stones); Joe Perry (Aerosmith); Tom Scholz (Boston); Neil Giraldo (Pat Benetar's band-- amazing, trust me!); Dave Davies (Kinks); Trevor Rabin (Yes & Solo); Gary Ritchrath (REO-- pre- sell- out); Steve Hackett (early Genesis); Martin Barre (J. Tull)...

Or at least those are my heroes of Guitar! Am I missing any? :hidin:

ProfessorM
03-17-2006, 02:16 PM
I won't argue better. It is personal. There are so many good ones and each one in there own genre. Comparing blues to jazz and jazz to rock and rock to acoustic, acoustic to country not easy but here are a few you might want to give an ear to if you have not already: Steve Morse, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Gary Moore, Joe Satriani, Tony Rice, Robin Trower, Alan Holdsworth, Robben Ford, Mike Stern, Joe Pass, Pat Metheny, Roy B., Eric Johnson, Leo Kottke, Danny Gatton, Albert Lee, Herb Ellis, Mike Bloomfield, Stanley Jordan, Chet Atkins, Les Dudek.:eek: That's enough. You get the idea. There are just too many good players out there. All the above are equal or better than the others in there own respective genre. My criteria is who can play all the styles good. That to me is the best. I mentioned a few above but they are few. P.
Martin Barre:btu:

striperman36
03-17-2006, 02:30 PM
SRV

NIB
03-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Stevie Ray Vaugh is one of the most fluid guitar players have ever seen.Chords an leads all seem like the same thing one big flowing tone.Amazing.Gilmore gets more out of a note with his sustain than many.I know I will get alot of flack for this i think eric clapton is way over rated.Its no doubt Duane wrote the lead to his most popular song.Jimi Page said there would be no rock Guitar if it weren't for Jimi Hendrix.Randy Rhodes was truely amazing.I remember my head exploding when I first herd him.He would not have been if Eddie Van Halen had not dropped the classical piano an picked up a guitar.Satriani is a god in some circles as well as Billy Gibbons.I like the Late Diamond Darryl (later became Dimebag Darryl)from Pantera.some won't like the band as a whole but this guy got some amazing sounds from his ax.First an foremost Tony Iommi is my favorite guitar player.His simple slow pounding style is like sweet velvet to my ears.I played since i was 11 yrs old.Black Sabbath gets a bad rap as some demonic band but most of there songs revolve around repent.Ozzie's antic's didn't help.but who cares. I always had a preference to bands that revolve around the sounds of the guitar as oppsed to lyrics or whatever.i like it all.I remeber i had several Zappa albums yrs. ago.I usta by a album a week when i was young.I saw him at the Rutgers athletic center(The RAC).Maybe it was 1980.He usta do this thing where u could ask him a question.I asked him how he like his eggs.Sunny side up..:D
I remember seeing Rush at the Beacon theatre NYC. (the Allmans do 11 shows every yr around this time of yr).when they headlined for Motorhead an the Cro Mags.on the Bomber tour an fell asleep.ZZZZZZZZZZ.I recently been playin some LS an they have alot of songs that are fun to play.Like the one from the bush beer comercial.
I find it funny some folks on here put these rock stars On some kinda pedestal.if they weren't stars there drug rapps would be a mile long.Many who couldn't shake it died from it.Then I see the same names slam some sports caster when he as a battle with his demons.they are all people one in the same.An drugs are nasty sh!T.
Just something to think about.EaT A Peach..

seabass
03-18-2006, 02:23 PM
This some kinda joke? A B B. Steve Miller? abracadbra, I wont to reach out and grab ya? get real.

NIB
03-18-2006, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=seabass]This some kinda joke? A B B. Steve Miller? abracadbra, I wont to reach out and grab ya? get real.[/QUOTE

I though Joe Walsh played in the SM band.I forget the album.