View Full Version : Hydrotesting discovery

Dr.fish
03-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Maybe this has already been uncovered, but I'll post it anyway.
I turned 12 metal lips today and float tested them. Here's the interesting observation:
Three of the "dannys" were shaped from the same length of Atlantic white cedar and three more were shaped from the same length of
2nd growth cypress. ALL of the cedar floated in the same position as did the cypress. I'm saying to myself that "this is obvious, they're from the same place on the tree". If this holds true (I'll do it again next time) this will certainly conserve time in the old man-cave. Float one then match up the grains and just mark them. That is how I'll test it the next time....float one, mark the others...then float them... I hope this works, that way I only have to wait for ONE plug to dry and re-sand. If it works...I'll have to bundle the stock when I cut it. :btu:

Tagger
03-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Didn't work that way with me and ayc...varied ... way different some pieces out of the same board.. I was turning 2" too..maybe less of an issue with smaller diameter plugs .... good research .. I'm not intterested in saving time though.. Its all about numbers and production in work .. not on my time .... Congrats on your first post ... many more ..

Slipknot
03-17-2006, 06:58 PM
that makes sense Doc
welcome