View Full Version : Main & Leader #s

Redsoxticket
03-17-2006, 11:01 PM
What criteria do you use to determine the leader strength as it relates to the main line strength for both mono and braid ?

I heard that if the leader strength is beyond the braid main line breaking point that the braid may snap anywhere and possibly causing excessive line lost. In my mind I would think it would break at the knot where it connects to the leader because the knots are less then 100 % strength.

I don't know, can you share your experience, opinions or facts on this matter ?

what is the max. leader strength w/ Fire Line 30# ?

JFigliuolo
03-18-2006, 04:46 AM
I like my leader heavier than my main line. It's going to take most of the abrasion, and abuse so I want it tough. I go w/a 50lb leader w/15-30 lb line. I know some canal guys like a lighter leader with 50# + braid, especially jiggers due to break offs. I guess it depends on what and where your fishing.

What criteria do you use to determine the leader strength as it relates to the main line strength for both mono and braid ?

I heard that if the leader strength is beyond the braid main line breaking point that the braid may snap anywhere and possibly causing excessive line lost. In my mind I would think it would break at the knot where it connects to the leader because the knots are less then 100 % strength.

I don't know, can you share your experience, opinions or facts on this matter ?

what is the max. leader strength w/ Fire Line 30# ?

tattoobob
03-18-2006, 09:57 AM
With mono I use 20 pound main line with a 40 to 50 pound leader, mono is cheap and I don't care much about losing some.

with my braid reels I use 50 pound main line with a 40 pound leader, I always go 10 pounds lighter on the leader.

NIB
03-18-2006, 10:57 AM
I primarily use 50 lb leader.I will go to 80 lb on things like pencil poppers.why not.I found some cheap.plus i don't loose as many to blues.Also sometimes livelinen Bunker.there is a river I fish thats very clear can't fool em without 30 lb leader.With 30 lb fireline.I jig wit 40 lb leader.30 lb fireline will break 40 lb floro an 50 when its new as it breaks in it won't break the 50 lb leader.Some places i fish i will have alot of line out.100 plus yds.the last thing i need in my holes is a 50 yd pc of braid on the bottom.clear oceans 30-40 lb depends on the plug u get the idea.I use about all of em.I only use floro.If I catch one more fish because of its worth it to me.i shop it around for instance Cabelas sells 100 yd spools of triple fish floro leader for 26.99 i have seen that price for 25 yd spools of seagar.Hey try em an see what works for u.If u ain't gettin bit wit 50 try 30 sometimes it matters.If ur gonna go to Floro don't be cheap about it use like u would any other line an make sure ur knots are good.

ThrowingTimber
03-19-2006, 02:41 AM
standard = leader weight=3x line weight

or

leader weight 80lb line weight = 20lb

or

leader weight 15lb line weight =14lbs

or

20-8lb tapered leader no tippet. :buds:

Bill L
03-19-2006, 07:23 AM
That must be the "new" math? :laughs:

shadow
03-19-2006, 07:38 AM
I always just double my line test. 20= 40#leader ,15=30#leader 10=20#leader,and always mono to floro.I don't like going to heavy as your knots are more likily to fail and I stay away from the stiff leaders like seagar alot of people like it,I dont.I used varvas for awhile but can't get it no more.Now I'am using frog hair and like that doesn't cost as much as some others,and holds knots well.

Saltheart
03-19-2006, 02:05 PM
For shock leaders , the rule of thumb is 10 pounds test for every ounce cast. So if you are doing 4 OZ jigs , the leader should be at least 40 LB test.

On the beaches I use 35 LB Spectron and a 30 LB leader. In the Canal I use 50 LB spectron and either 50 LB Ande pink or 60 LB ande green as the green is IGFA line and breaks at most at 60 while the pink , breaks at least at 50 and actually more like 65. average.

ThrowingTimber
03-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Page 1 of 9, section D.

http://www.igfa.org/BookRule2004.pdf

Backbeach Jake
03-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Vic, you're gonna be the Next IGFA record holder, aren't you? You sure are preparing for it! Fish like a machine AND know the rules! Bravo!

ThrowingTimber
03-19-2006, 03:22 PM
:faga: shootin' for 82

NIB
03-19-2006, 04:39 PM
For shock leaders , the rule of thumb is 10 pounds test for every ounce cast. So if you are doing 4 OZ jigs , the leader should be at least 40 LB test. [/QUOTE]

So guys throwin 8 an bait shoul be usin a 120lb shock leader.I think if u went to hatteras an did a survey u would find that not to be the case.
My point is there is no rule of thumb in todays fishing.it's a thinkin mans sport.Simple logic has a big role.Some get it I guess, an some don't.Its like saying a 108 L is good for stripers.That is true but if u Take the lure weight ratings from Lamiglass u will be a bit shocked thats why they don't make em in production rods anymore they where gettin to many back broken. It is a fine striper rod sure. But a Light rod.One that will leave u severly undergunned in alot of circumstances.Some one asks a question an I try to give a answer to make them think. I cover alot of bases.Then someone says its a fine rod.Wells there's more to it then that.Sorry if this sounds like a rant.