View Full Version : Need help, Don't know where to fish!!!!!!!!!!

maine/rifisherman
04-11-2002, 01:27 AM
I'm new to RI and it would help me alot if someone could suggest a good place in or near warwick to surfcast. And if anyone would like to join me i work nights and get out at 7am. I don't know alot of people and i know even less fishermen.
Feel free to suggest anything you want like good bait or anything else and hope to see people around. :) :cool:

redcrbbr
04-11-2002, 01:55 AM
welcome to S-B:D , i'd say figure in a month or less the entire coast is gonna start to light up. just pay attention to the posts and you will hear of probably the best and hottest spots to go. being in rhode island there really aren't many bad places.. but there are some dangerous places.. there isn't a fish out there worth dying for! trust and use your instincts:D :D

JohnR
04-11-2002, 08:17 AM
Maine/RI - welcome to S-B... I moved this topic to the main forum so more people could bite on it... Warwick doesn't offer as much of the true surfcasting that you may be used to in Maine. Althugh there is plenty of it not far away...

Couple Warwick spots: Conimicut Point is popular with a lot of the locals but I'm not convinced that it is as great as people say it is. There is a reef running out to the light that kills people every other year from swift current to be REALLY carefull of. Not a Maine river fast but certainly fast enough.

Goddard Park in Warwick has a couple places to fish, matter of fact, this month's or last month's On The Water magazine had some good info for fishing around E Greenwich Bay...

Oakland Beach, some people fish the jetties & open beach there with some success... Personally, I don't because I'm not too much into chunking and I'd rather drive 40 minutes to what I think are more productive spots - and there are plenty of good spots in Rhody....

There are a handfull of other local spots but you need the secret password first ;) - Again, welcome aboard!

Scotch Bonnet
04-11-2002, 08:39 AM
I would definately make the 30 min. drive to Narragansett if I was a surfcaster trapped in WAHWICK. From Narr. beach to Pt. Judith, there is plenty of access and you can drive around scouting for fish. This is a great spot to learn about RI surfcasting and theres a group of regulars that fish there that love to talk fishing. Take 95S to rt.4 to rt.1 and follow signs to Narragansett beach. once your at the beach follow Ocean rd. south and keep looking to your left:drool:

Saltheart
04-11-2002, 08:56 AM
Welcome aboard Maine/RI...

Head to the ocean right now. I mean Right Now!!!! :)

Be careful in Narragansett. There are some nice easy places along the drive ScothBonnet mentioned but there is also Newton and Hazard ave area that gets one or two fisherman each year.

Find your way to the West Wall in East Matunuck (find jerusalem on the map)

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=&city=Jerusalem&state=RI&slt=41.376560&sln=-71.517097&name=&zip=&country=us&&BFKey=&BFCat=&BFClient=&mag=8&desc=&cs=8&newmag=7&poititle=&poi=&ds=n

Fishpart
04-11-2002, 10:14 AM
The article in OTW has me thinking about more fishing before work this spring. I'm still waiting for the "rips" to happen so I can work them, I must be in the wrong location.

Just read another article about Narragansett that refers to it causing the death of more surfcasters than any other location. I believe Frank D originally made the comment.

Scotch Bonnet
04-11-2002, 10:46 AM
With a minimum of common sense theres very little danger fishing Narragansett. DON'T WALK ON THE BLACK BOULDERS AND DON'T FISH A SPOT THAT YOU CAN'T PULL A 30# BASS UP TOO. These are the two killers.

FishWebb
04-11-2002, 01:57 PM
Hey Maine, I have been in Warwick for about a year now.... also from Maine! For a short drive w/ a good shot at some stripers try Chepiwanoxet. It is in the Goddard park area and the parking can be a little tricky later in the season. Mostly schoolies there, with an occasional keeper in the mix. Your best bet for true surfcasting is to make the 1/2 hour drive. Has anyone else been to Chepiwanoxet yet this season?

Fishpart
04-11-2002, 02:29 PM
Walked there for the first tiem yesterday morning. Hope to work the pilings.

JohnR
04-11-2002, 02:48 PM
Fishwebb - welcome aboard! Seems like we have a solid contingent or Warwickanians here...

I'll hit a couple spots in Warwick during early May and a couple times in a boat over the season but I tend to make the drive to South County a lot more. And I hope to get a tour of the ledges South East of me this year ;)

AnthonyN
04-12-2002, 12:28 AM
Hello, I'm right across they bay from you in Bristol :) I have never fished in Warwick much but if you ever decide to take a trip to the east bay area I have a few spots for you to try!

maine/rifisherman
04-12-2002, 03:20 AM
Thanks people lots of good feedback on my question and any more would be good. I am also getting alot of mixed messages from the people i talk to about when a good time to start fishing for stripers is. Any suggestions i'm dying to get out threre asap and i'm about to say the heck with it and go right now. I am having huge withdrawal symptoms lol. I have not caught a fish in a loooooooooooooong time.
:happy:

Fishpart
04-12-2002, 06:11 AM
I wa splanning on starting in the bay around the last week of April/first week of May.

JohnR
04-12-2002, 07:38 AM
All you need to know is to look up any of the "West Wall" threads we have going. If you're looking to hit stripers in Warwick right now it could be tough without a boat but if you can cruise 40 minutes to the Wall - it's the place to fix yer itchin's..

AnthonyN
04-12-2002, 03:37 PM
I personally start my striper fishing after opening day weekend but mostly for schoolie bass. If you are looking for the BIG ones keeper size and up Last week of april first week of may seems to b e the prime time!!!!

Good Luck!!!

Anthony