View Full Version : East Beach sand trail

RLC100
03-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Looks like there gonna close the eastern part of the trail from april 1 to Memorial day.
There is a full article on it in the Westerly Sun newspaper.
(Readable on line)

basswipe
03-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Looks like there gonna close the eastern part of the trail from april 1 to Memorial day.
There is a full article on it in the Westerly Sun newspaper.
(Readable on line)

From Apr1 to LABOR day.

JohnR
03-19-2006, 12:42 PM
http://www.thewesterlysun.com/articles/2006/03/19/news/news4.txt

Yes, this sucks. I hope it does not turn out to be a foot in the door for removing OSV vehicles...

Now, out of idle curiosity, were members of the various OSV stakeholders available to these talks? Why is it that the closure goes from 4-1 to Labor Day as opposed to the "nesting" requirements of the Plover? I thought that lasted less time than that. Oh, will the Coyotes be well fed this year?

RLC100
03-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Till Labor day I stand corrected

Skitterpop
03-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Nebe .... you got that built yet? :hidin:

Though someday....not in my life likely.... there will be some hovercraft for fishing or adaptable for it at least...nice leaning rails...retractable segmented wind and rain shields...and solar power.

Probably won`t be able to keep any fish by then if we can fish by then (read PETA). :faga:

SeaWolf
03-20-2006, 10:20 AM
i spoke about this last week sometime on a similar thread.

in order to get the necessary permits ready and have the project started before the plovers arrived was just not feasible. so, the actual redirect/rebuilding of the eroded sand trail was put on hold during the plover and summer tourist season. this is only from the 2nd campground east to the breachway (about 1 mile). the rest of the trail is open. since the eroded part of the trail was on the beach face now, the usf&ws had to get involved as it impacts plover habitat. east beach has been one of the best plover nesting areas in rhody the last decade.

the date closen for the closure also happens tot be the same dates the barrier beaches are closed in rhody. no one can drive on the beaches during the tourist season anyhow. the plovers typically fledge by mid-august, but it all depends on how the spring storms effect early nesting pairs, any late nesting pairs, or second-time nesting pairs.

dem called the meeting on behalf property owners and groups impacted. crmc held the meeting. there were OSV clubs in attendance. it was stated when the dates were decided on that this is ONLY temporary due to the timelines and the new trail would be ready to begin work following labor day of this year. there are watch dogs checking on the progress.

just one more reason why people should be more involed in their fishing clubs. this issues do come up well before the media or websites hear of them.

JohnR
03-20-2006, 10:30 AM
i spoke about this last week sometime on a similar thread.

in order to get the necessary permits ready and have the project started before the plovers arrived was just not feasible. so, the actual redirect/rebuilding of the eroded sand trail was put on hold during the plover and summer tourist season. this is only from the 2nd campground east to the breachway (about 1 mile). the rest of the trail is open. since the eroded part of the trail was on the beach face now, the usf&ws had to get involved as it impacts plover habitat. east beach has been one of the best plover nesting areas in rhody the last decade.

the date closen for the closure also happens tot be the same dates the barrier beaches are closed in rhody. no one can drive on the beaches during the tourist season anyhow. the plovers typically fledge by mid-august, but it all depends on how the spring storms effect early nesting pairs, any late nesting pairs, or second-time nesting pairs.

dem called the meeting on behalf property owners and groups impacted. crmc held the meeting. there were OSV clubs in attendance. it was stated when the dates were decided on that this is ONLY temporary due to the timelines and the new trail would be ready to begin work following labor day of this year. there are watch dogs checking on the progress.

just one more reason why people should be more involed in their fishing clubs. this issues do come up well before the media or websites hear of them.

Well, you answered my questions :hee: and it makes sense AND it is good that the stakeholders, including the OSV clubs/users, were involved.

Nebe
03-20-2006, 12:15 PM
i posted this last night-

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=30071