View Full Version : Rut roooooo

UserRemoved1
03-20-2006, 01:25 PM
http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyid=2006-03-20T180403Z_01_N20258722_RTRUKOC_0_US-WEATHER-HURRICANE-ACCUWEATHER.xml&rpc=22

This don't sound too good.

BigFish
03-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Pure speculation....like when the Farmers Almanac says its going to be a cold winter....as opposed to a warm winter? They have a 50/50 shot at being right and the odds are stacked that it will be cold because it is friggin winter! These clowns have no idea how to "forecast" these things....its all guess work.......that agency probably has stock in oil refineries someplace!:rtfm:

SAXATILUS
03-20-2006, 01:44 PM
We certainly are due for one, it's been a while. Only a matter of time.

Joe
03-20-2006, 02:31 PM
I hope it washes away all the "No Parking" signs.

Karl F
03-20-2006, 02:43 PM
I hope all the hurricanes hits all those skyscapers owned by them fat %#*@in' Insurance Companies, and wipes out all their fat overpaid CEO's...
Shame on them for pulling out of the coastal regions, and pocketing billions in excess premiums.
If there is Karma, let it be for them.

Raven
03-20-2006, 02:48 PM
was in 54 that took away houses....off the cape

so its due..... if you consider that
there's supposed to be a fifty year cycle...
were now in year 52 since then...

and even in a forest when a huge area of pines
gets burned away that in turn yeilds a fertilized spot
for a deciduous forest to grow.............

so Mother nature will do her thing...

Beaches :huh: what beaches?
plovers? what plovers? :huh: :beat:

JohnR
03-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Law of Averages says we are due anyway - I could predict that :tooth:

beamie
03-20-2006, 04:20 PM
If they wanted to be helpful.....tell us which month, week and day it will happen.:rollem:

Pete_G
03-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Law of Averages says we are due anyway - I could predict that :tooth:

I agree. That and we simply are in a very similar weather pattern to what was taking place both in the late 30's and 50's and it's a pretty safe bet something is headed our way sooner rather then later.

I'm glad we moved the Edge to higher ground. The land it used to sit on was thoroughly underwater in the '38...

seabass
03-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Bring it on! I'm bored anyway.:hang:

tattoobob
03-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Well if it does hit let it hit right before fall so it can take all the mung away from the back beaches, and make some nice rips and bars to hold some cows

Mike P
03-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Well, I'm 76' above sea level but according to the %^&*(%$ insurance companies, I'm in a high risk coastal area :af:

JohnR
03-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Well, I'm 76' above sea level but according to the %^&*(%$ insurance companies, I'm in a high risk coastal area :af:

I think they are preparing for the West African Eartquake induced Atlantic Tsunami... I'm about 20 something feet up and 1000 feet away from the Bay and don't need flood ins

blue oyster
03-20-2006, 05:05 PM
if we do get a big storm (which i hope we don't) let it come in early sept. then everyone will pull there boats out , most won't go back in and there will be plenty of elbow room during the fall run :D

Pete_G
03-20-2006, 05:10 PM
I used to live about 30 miles inland and hurricanes never really bothered me, in fact most years I was wishing for one. I have to admit being on the coast now hurricanes make me a little nervous especially after New Orleans this past year.

Mike P
03-20-2006, 06:42 PM
I think they are preparing for the West African Eartquake induced Atlantic Tsunami... I'm about 20 something feet up and 1000 feet away from the Bay and don't need flood ins

Not talkin' about flood ins--I'm talkin' about regular homeowners :af:

Gotta go thru FAIR. Maybe they're worried about the fire hydrant right across the street, which is the only water around for 3 miles. :huh:

Why bother regulating the effers---they do what they want, anyway :wall:

basswipe
03-21-2006, 06:04 AM

I watched a special on Discovery a few months back about a volcanic island in the eastern Atlantic,the name at the moment escapes me.Anyways about half this island WILL slide into the ocean.Its not a matter of if but when.The resulting wave will make the recent tsunami look like a ripple.Once it happens there is absolutely nothing you could do to get away from this short of being in a airplane or helicopter.The damage to the eastcoast of the US will be unimaginable.Scary stuff.

RIROCKHOUND
03-21-2006, 10:36 AM
OK;
A few things to consider...
Almost EVERY year we are due for a hurricane in the NE; it all depends on the position of the steering Bermuda High.
ON AVERAGE, we get ~1 major hurricane in the NE every 100ish years... through time the major ones on record are 1635, 1815, 1938 and 1954. There were obviously many smaller storms thrown in (i.e. the size of Bob, Gloria..)
The 100yr storm number is thrown out alot, but thats pure statistics. All it means is the storm has a 1% chance of occuring any year. You could get back to back seasons with a 100yr storm, hell they could be in back to back weeks. Still 100yr storms.
For reference; relative to South County, RI
1938 was a 100yr storm
1954 was a 50yr storm
1978 (Blizzard) was a 25yr storm
1992 (December) was a ~10year storm..
So yes, statistically we ARE due...

BW; Thats Simon Day (I think) working on The La Playa stuff in the Canary Islands is a possibility, but I wouldnt buy extra flood insurance. I'd say a nuke war is a better possibility than that happening any time soon.

I'd watch the Gulf for hurricanes this year. Obviously they are more susceptable given last years season, but they are expecting a nother high year for TC (tropical cyclones) in the Atlantic, and the water is pretty warm for this early in the gulf. Again, all about the steering H systems...

if you really want to see something cool, google hypercanes. These are theorized events that may have happened after the impact that killed the Dinosaurs.. basically a TC as big across as the east coast :eek:

In The Surf
03-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Saw something on the news yesterday about a cyclone somewhere that was worse than Katrina. Also the report about this possibly being a record year for hurricanes in the NE has been in many papers and local news quite a bit in the last day.

Pete F.
03-21-2006, 12:09 PM
Saw something on the news yesterday about a cyclone somewhere that was worse than Katrina. Also the report about this possibly being a record year for hurricanes in the NE has been in many papers and local news quite a bit in the last day.
The media knows that bad news spreads way better than good news, so they take a statistical probability and make it news.

RIROCKHOUND
03-22-2006, 06:01 PM
There was a big storm down under in australia... thats been on the news.
My understanding of predicting hurricanes and TS'es are more a metter of predicting the conditions that make it favorable to form. Predicting the where/when of storms is dicey 24hrs from landfall let alone 5-6 months!