View Full Version : another studded aquastealth question

Clogston29
03-23-2006, 07:33 AM
I'm considering getting the llbean wading boots with the studded aquastealth soles but have a question for those who have them. Can you comfortably where korkers over the studded sole for areas where the weed is too thick for the the studs alone, or would I need a seperate pair of boots? I don't think I'll need korkers for most of my fishing if I get these until the studs wear out, at which point I'll just start wearing korkers again. Also, does anyone have experience with the aquastealth w/o studs and how it compares to felt? Thanks.

MAC
03-23-2006, 05:21 PM
yes, they work fine with korkers

tattoobob
03-23-2006, 06:32 PM
I am getting the lug soles, I have the felt and when that green/black slime gets in it, it stinks and stinks bad. It needs t6 be scrubbed hard to get it out. the lug soles with korkers is what I am going with.

Nebe
03-23-2006, 06:38 PM
they work fine with korkers, but you wont need korkers :D I fish some pretty nasty places and have never felt i needed korkers when i was wearing studded aquastealth shoes.

Clogston29
03-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Nebe,

How long do the studs usually last. I was thinking about getting the plain aquastealths but figured I'd just get the studded and when the studs where off, I'll have the unstudded ones then.

MAC
03-23-2006, 06:52 PM
I have a pair that are 6 years old and still good. Fishing with them 2 to 3 days a week through out the season

Clogston29
03-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Thanks guys. I'm ordering them now.

shadow
03-23-2006, 07:33 PM
I wear the studded simms guide boots and the only place I feel like I want to add kokers is pj light I could get buy w/out them but I feel better when wading out far when I have the extra bite.Other then that I only where the boots my last pair of freestone boots lasted about 4 years now my other pair is on year 2.I'd like to check out the korker replacement soles that joe at SRI sells those are flet Which I never had a problem with.

Nebe
03-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Nebe,

How long do the studs usually last. I was thinking about getting the plain aquastealths but figured I'd just get the studded and when the studs where off, I'll have the unstudded ones then.

I go through one pair a season. Fishing almost nightly, and sometimes walking about a mile on rocks..

they are not the best on the sand, but neither am I :hihi:

SAXATILUS
03-24-2006, 07:44 AM
I go through one pair a season. Fishing almost nightly, and sometimes walking about a mile on rocks..

they are not the best on the sand, but neither am I :hihi:

Nebe, I was looking at buying a pair of these myself. When the studs wear out , can you just replace the stud or do you send the whole boot back to bean for a new pair. I don't like sand either.

cheferson
03-24-2006, 07:55 AM
have to send them back, studs arent replaceable.

Nebe
03-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Nebe, I was looking at buying a pair of these myself. When the studs wear out , can you just replace the stud or do you send the whole boot back to bean for a new pair. I don't like sand either.

Chef is right, you send them back.. i'll post a pic tonight of my boots from last season. I havnet gotten around to sending them back yet, but you will see how they wear out- ive never lost a stud, but they will wear down if you scuff your feet when you walk.

NIB
03-24-2006, 08:41 AM
they work fine with korkers, but you wont need korkers :D I fish some pretty nasty places and have never felt i needed korkers when i was wearing studded aquastealth shoes.

Hmmm.
:D

Chunker of Death
03-24-2006, 10:04 PM
A Nebe> Have you had a chance to see the new Ultralight II that's replacing the Ultralight? I'm liking what I see. I was barely getting a season out of the Ultralight. The new ULII appears to be built better. The Aquastealth also has a siped sole. The sole is some kinda nice and sticky. Studs are still the same length so I'm not expecting the studs to last any longer but the rest of the boot is promising. Not quite as rugged as the old Approaches (which I miss), but a step in the rugged direction. Oh, and I traded in my old Ultras for the ULII's. :) Speaking of wearing out the soles> Was at the Bean show last Sunday and spoke (again) to them about how dumb it is to have to return the shoes for just the soles wearing out. They still had no good reason as to why they don't offer replacement Aquastealth soles for their boots.

Nebe
03-26-2006, 08:58 AM
A Nebe> Have you had a chance to see the new Ultralight II that's replacing the Ultralight? I'm liking what I see. I was barely getting a season out of the Ultralight. The new ULII appears to be built better. The Aquastealth also has a siped sole. The sole is some kinda nice and sticky. Studs are still the same length so I'm not expecting the studs to last any longer but the rest of the boot is promising. Not quite as rugged as the old Approaches (which I miss), but a step in the rugged direction. Oh, and I traded in my old Ultras for the ULII's. :) Speaking of wearing out the soles> Was at the Bean show last Sunday and spoke (again) to them about how dumb it is to have to return the shoes for just the soles wearing out. They still had no good reason as to why they don't offer replacement Aquastealth soles for their boots.

I have seen them and will be getting a pair next week- here are my boots after one season....... ( i dont fish much :hihi: )

Chunker of Death
03-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Yupper, that's how mine looked too. Bean's customer service clerk asked me what I had done to the poor boots. Told her that I used them as they were suppose to be used.......Next pair please. :)

Clogston29
03-26-2006, 09:48 AM
I ended up getting the bean river treads instead of the ultra lights and I'm very happy with them (granted I've only tried them on and wore them around the house for a bit). They are only $10 more than the ultra lights and I don't notice much of an increase in weight from the ultralights (I tried on a friends). They're much more supportive and look to be built tougher. Bean doesn't recommend the ultralights for difficult terrain and I was only able to find raving reviews of the river treads.

MAC
03-26-2006, 09:59 AM
These were bought in 99 and have outlasted 4 pairs of waders. Not a lot of asphalt walking as the canal gets the bicycle action. Only draw back is that sand gets in through the side drain holes. I wouldn't want to guess the miles I have walked in these. But then again we don't have as many rocks up here as Rhody. These were around 135 when new.

Redsoxticket
03-26-2006, 04:03 PM
I have seen them and will be getting a pair next week- here are my boots after one season....... ( i dont fish much :hihi: )

Wow, you deserve a new pair.

Would you still wear korkers for those "extreme" areas such as "heavy" algae, "heavy" kulp and slimmy oily rocks ?

I like those boots (no, not your old ones) and if I had them I would wear them for the same terrain (plus some) as I do my felt bottom boots and wear my korkers as I usually would in those extreme areas.

Nebe
03-26-2006, 04:21 PM
i would wear korkers if i am wading through bubble weedy rocks or if i was standing on bubble weed. the aquastealths really are awesome on algae covered slimey rocks as the soles conform to the curves of a roound rock. Im lazy and probably wore my korkers 3 times last season.. you just dont need them with those studded soles.