View Full Version : Upperman jigs

basswipe
03-26-2006, 01:19 PM
I just read #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&'s article on Spring fishing in the RISAA newsletter.I've never really fished jigs all that much.Any good tips on using them.I don't want to overly complicate my Spring fishing with a plug bag stuffed with 50 different plugs.His article was very straightforward.A few white and chartreuse jigs and shads is keeping it simple.

Yesterday just got the itch to fish even more itchy.I have my nice little Spring schoolie rod dusted off and will be purchasing a new reel for it at next weekend's show.

NIB
03-26-2006, 02:19 PM
Uppermans are a great Jig.From the side thier oval profile offer a view similar to alot of small baitfish like bunker, baby scup,or butterfish.Lime green or chartreuse have been know to be serious Mahi killers.from the top their thin profile aids in getting em down fast.Probably one of the best deep water bucktails where used jigging vertically can be kept on the bottom with less weight.less weight equals more better when it comes to jigging in a Boat... From the surf floating a similar or slightly heavier than 1/2 oz smiling bill will float u better along the beaches an probably is a better bet.add a porkrind in similar color to emulate spearing or rainfish or pink rubber grub for squid.Save the upperman for early fall when it will resemble the Tiny newborn bait better.

gone fishin
03-26-2006, 06:36 PM
Nib ya couldn't have said it better! Only one thing comes to mind. In the ditch, the round canal special that has the eye on top close to the front and with a chunk of porkrind trailing is best for getting down quick and bouncing lead catchin' heaven. tha smilin bill will hang up real fast.:af:

NIB
03-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Nib ya couldn't have said it better! Only one thing comes to mind. In the ditch, the round canal special that has the eye on top close to the front and with a chunk of porkrind trailing is best for getting down quick and bouncing lead catchin' heaven. tha smilin bill will hang up real fast.:af:

Canal who was talkin bout the canal.He was talkin bout a area west of the west wall.in RI.The canal is a totally different animal.I made a mold out of my upperman 3 an 4 oz like Kevin Mr.Pogie's for my own personal use.I made the 3's-4's an the 4's 4.5's then 5 oz.I use a 9/0 mustad or gami siwash.They are killer but i still buy an use the canal specials.One day I will make that mold outa something. I think the problem with the smilin bills is more they don't get down as good an stay down. the lips act like a plow in a big 5 oz.smillin bill makin ur time in the strike zone shorter.

basswipe
03-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Actually I was talkin the south end of Aquidneck Island.

gone fishin
03-26-2006, 06:59 PM
I agree - the mouth someetimes comes up with salad. I was going to make the mold out of bondo, but got lazy. I go through many of those a year. Mostly 4 and 5S.

NIB
03-26-2006, 07:09 PM
Actually I was talkin the south end of Aquidneck Island.
Well i ain't kreskin.:D
U mentioned his article he said something bout the west wall or matoonoc. area if i remember right.I read it yesterday.So I assumed u where talkin bout the same area..
If I remember right the south side of aquidneck might not be a good place to start the striper season early.usually shallow water flats that get good sun are better than the deeper water area's.Not really sure on this i could be wrong on ur area.I know this the smilin bill is a great lure.Change up ur trailors to get the depths u want.in other words u can put a 5 inch white shad on it to look llike the fancy shmancy storms.this will ride high as the bait is bigger an the paddle tail will give u lift.or go wit a small strip o pork to get it to the bottom faster.their are many choices for in between.

basswipe
03-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Well i ain't kreskin.:D
U mentioned his article he said something bout the west wall or matoonoc. area if i remember right.I read it yesterday.So I assumed u where talkin bout the same area..
If I remember right the south side of aquidneck might not be a good place to start the striper season early.

I didn't mean to come off uppity Nib.I was just being me.ANY advice on jigs is appreciated.

Btw there are definetly worse places than the south end of our little island to start Spring bass fishing if you take my meaning:D .

NIB
03-26-2006, 07:28 PM
I didn't mean to come off uppity Nib.I was just being me.ANY advice on jigs is appreciated.

Btw there are definetly worse places than the south end of our little island to start Spring bass fishing if you take my meaning:D .

Didn't take it as uppity.the Kreskin line is a well used little NIB joke.
Ha Ha.thats why the smiley face thing see.:D

basswipe
03-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Its all good.

Mike P
03-27-2006, 11:20 AM
I've had nights on LI where my 3 oz Upperman was getting hit every cast and the other 4 guys on the jetty, using Smilin' Bills, weren't getting a touch. It's not an every night thing, but there are times when an Upperman will outfish another style head.

The thing with an Upperman it that it will flutter and wobble on the drop, like a wounded or dead baitfish.

Carry an assortment of weights and use the weight that will get down. I have Uppermans to 5 oz in my jig bag.