View Full Version : Deadliest Catch

Jimbo
03-27-2006, 12:36 PM
FYI - The show picks up again tomorrow at 9PM on Discovery.

striperman36
03-27-2006, 12:42 PM
The highlights of season 1 where awesome and the trailers for season 2 where even better. It is amazing what people will do for money.

piemma
03-27-2006, 02:53 PM
I am NOT a TV guy but this series has my mesmerized. I watched the re-runs yesterday for the 2 or 3rd time and can't wait for the new ones. Best stuff on TV IMO. Talk about reality TV. This is the BOMB!!!!

RIROCKHOUND
03-27-2006, 02:55 PM
This is the BOMB!!!!
Please dont ever use that expression again, or I'll have to start calling you Duuuuuude :jump1:

Good show; the first season was the best IMHO, before they made it a more typical reality show...
always great footage though!

piemma
03-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Sorry.. I had a brain cramp...

It's the BALLS!!!!

Clammer
03-27-2006, 05:26 PM
whays up for tomorrow //after that series with the king crab ??????????

spinncognito
03-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Some people from the discovery channle were in Gloucester on the waterfront this past week "promoting" the new season and giving away coffee. No big ugly crabs coming outta these waters, wonder if they have some local footage of the commercial guys...

JohnR
03-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Unfortunately it is the truest reality TV in that guys actually die in the process. In some ways similar to watching the Military channel when they feature the 10th M.D. on patrol. Real People with Real Dangerous Jobs with Real Prices to be paid.

I watch Deadliest Catch and have mixed emotions for these guys in that there must be a way to make the fishery "safer" and still remain lucrative...

I'm not sure, but Redcrbbr - was that the fishery you were in?

luds
03-28-2006, 09:02 PM
It's on now:wave:

Raider Ronnie
03-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Rich (sjourney) did this for a few years .
He told me some good stories of what he went through!
I haven't seen him on here in quite a while!

Clammer
03-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Maybe he,s crabbin????????????//:buds:

tynan19
03-29-2006, 10:46 AM
I liked the behind the scenes showing all the different camera angles. Plus those camera men have to put up with the same conditions for the most part.

Swimmer
03-29-2006, 11:47 AM
They have big ones.

MoroneSaxatilis
03-29-2006, 05:21 PM
I can assure you that offshore commercial scalloping in winter
is not not much different from crab fishing in terms of difficulty and danger.
One would need a crewmember strictly dedicated to filming to document the whole thing, though.
After working 11 straight hours on your feet with no break to speak of,
then having 5 hours to wash up, eat, do bathroom duties, perhaps make a sat phone call home,
wind down, and get your personal gear in order for the next 11 hour watch,
one doesn't feel much like hanging around to video the other watch in action.
The trip I got home from this past Friday was 15 days dock-to-dock working those watches.
Taking an additonal person on board for this purpose would only be possible in an access area,
as new regulations for the new fishing year which began on March 1st, permit unlimited crew size for access area trips.

nightfighter
04-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Bump

On now.

nightfighter
04-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Sig Hansen is the ONLY guy I would go to sea with in the whole lot of them Rick's boat, Maverick was in bad enough shape they didn't pass the CC inspection for three days. Other wise he would be a possibility.

mikecc
04-18-2006, 09:21 PM
Good show tonight.
See that ship get hit by that 60' wave (to be continued):lurk:

fishsmith
04-19-2006, 07:55 AM
craigslist has a helpwanted ad for alasking king crab fishing, says "not dangerous".

JohnR
04-19-2006, 08:30 AM
craigslist has a helpwanted ad for alasking king crab fishing, says "not dangerous".

That position is dragging for other's pots in a submarine....

Yeh - that wave (to be continued) is going to have me watch next week...

Katie
04-20-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure, but Redcrbbr - was that the fishery you were in?

I can answer this a little bit for my dad, but he was in this business for the red crabs.. Hence the name... He was a captain of a boat.. so i guess you could say that he was kinda if not rather close to the type of fishing he was into..

And i did happen to catch a episode or two of this series and i was just in awe of this whole job to see what they went threw and all of that and my dad was sitting there and and if i didnt know something, he told me in detail what it was and stuff.. it's a scary job..

nightfighter
04-21-2006, 07:29 PM
show repeat on right now

luds
04-21-2006, 08:37 PM
show repeat on right now

Dude, you should be watching Nascar.:jump:

spence
04-21-2006, 08:40 PM
I can answer this a little bit for my dad, but he was in this business for the red crabs...
Does the FAX machine still work ??? :wave:

Right after I sold it to them I've needed it ever since :wall:

-spence

Katie
04-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Does the FAX machine still work ??? :wave:

Right after I sold it to them I've needed it ever since :wall:

-spence

yeah it still works, we gave it to some good friends for a christmas present cause they were starting a new business, and they love it..

So sorry for you needing it... :poke:

riarcher
04-22-2006, 05:34 AM
Have some experience on the western and eastern style draggers out of Stonington & Point Judith.
Nice in the summer (but the price is always down).
Rought in the winter (price always better).
Was a love/hate thing to say the least.
Besides what they show on TV (very real!) there are other things that they can't really come across with in full effect.
Simple things like needing a tooth pulled,,, can get interesting when at sea for several more days in rough weather,,, tearing up gear and repairing,, no sleep,,, and when you get back to the dock you find the price of your catch isn't enough to make expenses! So the next trip,, off the top comes the previouse trips expenses.
Then there's the family thing. Can't plan on attending functions like weddings, funerals, holidays (except Christmas), and such. Divorce is very high with fishermen. Understandably,, it's got to be very difficult for the wives to face running a home and family single handedly for days/weeks at a time. Often when the guy comes home it's in the early hours of the morning,,, get some sleep,, back to the boat to unload, grub up, get fuel, ice, make repairs, clean, etc. because you're leaving again around midnight to do it again while you know where you left the fish, and hope they're still there when you get back. Fortunately, my wife knew all about fishing and could deal with it. Many couldn't or wouldn't.
No picknic that's for sure.
Just like farming,,, but many miles from Drs., solid footing,, and worst of all,,,,,,,, COLD BEERS!
The "Perfect Storm" while a interesting story,,, fell way short on accuate details (irked the crap out of me). like when the guy went out and cut loose one of the "birds",,,,,,,,,,,,, If the hold was as full as expected the danged thing should of just about rolled over on them big seas. That one in the water is like a big sea anchor. Just not done. and many other scenes were equally poorly detailed.
Deadliest Catch is good,,,,, very good even with some seriouse censoring and clippings.

nightfighter
04-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Reminder...
Discovery Channel
9PM new episode
8PM last week's if you want to see that wave...about 8:55

Squid kids Dad
04-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks nightfighter..Missed last weeks...