View Full Version : Spring tune up. 4/4/06

Fly Aquidneck
03-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Next Tuesday night there will be a gathering of people are meeting at Satchuest Point in Middletown RI to "tune" fly rods and some will stick around for fly tying after. Some will be there around 3 PM so any time after, it will go on till late.

I know I have tried a few different lines on all of my fly rods and it is amazing what a difference it makes. The industry says that all rods are matched with the lines. You know the story... you need a 9 foot 9 weight with a 9 weight intermediate line, if you and cast it well you need to work on your casting stroke it is your execution that is limiting the performance of the rod. I don't buy it! I know I am not alone in saying that I found that upping a line weight or 2 and in one case down sizing a line, works better (for me) with a particular rod. And I have a nice 8 weight that I like an 8 weight line on. All people cast differently. I don't think you should restrict your abilities and enjoyment by trying to force yourself to a combination that limits those things. So we are going to come down with a variety of rods and lines (bring yours) and we will mix and match to "Tune" your rod to you! Sounds fun doesn't it.

I don't know for sure but there may just be some fish in the corner of second beach then too. So I am coming with waders.

When it gets dark we will move into the classroom at the visitors center for some FLy Tying (Usual Tueday night stuff). Someone talked about ordering Pizza also.

All are welcome ,men women and children! hope to see you there

(Borrowed from Ken Abrahms post on Stripermoon)
Making your fly rod "Actually," user friendly.
IF you can't get the thing to cast,(a common experience) then come to the April 4 gathering at Sachuest point wildlife refuge. More than likely it is not your casting. You can not push a rope.
Most casting problems that I have seen have nothing to do with the caster. They are rooted in an industry wide labeling delusion
of rods and lines. The system is the problem.
Bring your rod and we will cast it and match it to the right weight line for your rod and the rod will cast.

After that your casting skill can grow.
Without that match you are pushing a rope.
Lets put the horse before the cart.

FishHawk
03-29-2006, 02:31 PM
I hope to make . Check all the boards and you'll find that matching the proper line to the rod is a huge problem. I think the industry is using a standard that was for fiberglass fly rods. With modern graphite the scale is way off. Some of the companies are overlinning the rod for us by creating lines that are much heavier than what they are rated for. However, that being said , I have a Winston BIIX 9wt which is really fined tuned to the industry scale and casts much better with a 9wt line rather than with a 10 wt or 11 wt line.
Interesting stuff. but at $60 a pop you hate to make the wrong choice. In my opinion fly lines are way over priced. Just my .02
FishHawk