View Full Version : Cleaning Fish

capecodder
03-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Does anyone know of a resource that shows how to clean a variety of fish? While filleting blues and stripers is straight forward, it would be helpful to know techniques for different species along with what parts are edible.

For example, I understand that a tuna is not filleted in the same way but would not know the right way. I have heard that dogfish are tasty (english fish and chips) as well as skate, but I would not know where to begin. Given the numbers of these things I catch (skate and dogfish), I should probably eat some of them...

Scup? Tautog? Bonito? No clue what to do with them. I've heard of "steaker" cod before (never caught one), is that a different method?

Maybe a good reference resource for the site.

RickBomba
03-29-2006, 04:03 PM
Steaker applies to the size of the cod, not the afore mentioned best way of cutting a big cod into steaks.
Unless I'm wrong, cod steaks, in my opinion, would be an ecumenical cooking train-wreck!!!
I don't know about cutting fish as far as a website goes, but if you have any questions, pm me.
I was taught by the best in the business...if you have the wherewithall, try buying the book "On Being a Chef" by Michael Rhulmann, and read the part about Charles "Corky" Clark; he was my fish kitchen chef, and combined with my years cutting fish on my boat and my father's, I think I came out the backend, pretty much close to a sushi chef.
Later,
Rick
Does anyone know of a resource that shows how to clean a variety of fish? While filleting blues and stripers is straight forward, it would be helpful to know techniques for different species along with what parts are edible.

For example, I understand that a tuna is not filleted in the same way but would not know the right way. I have heard that dogfish are tasty (english fish and chips) as well as skate, but I would not know where to begin. Given the numbers of these things I catch (skate and dogfish), I should probably eat some of them...

Scup? Tautog? Bonito? No clue what to do with them. I've heard of "steaker" cod before (never caught one), is that a different method?

Maybe a good reference resource for the site.

RickBomba
03-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Sorry "The Making of a Chef" by Michael Rhulman

Jimbo
03-29-2006, 05:03 PM
RickB? "afore mentioned"? "ecumenical"?, "wherewithall"? Dude I don't know what happened to you but you're starting to sound almost clerical.

Capecodder, I found this site a while back with step-by-step instructions for fileting flounder.
http://www.cptdave.com/filet-flounder.html

I think Dave Masch just had instructions for dogfish in one of the last two OTW issues that came out.

If I find it, I had a really good, detailed article on cleaning tuna from the perspective of a sushi chef (probably similar to the wherewithall of the afore mentioned, ecumenical Chef Pastor Bomba).

RickBomba
03-29-2006, 05:07 PM
I know the ecumenical thing is a broad reach...why you bustin Father Bomba Balls, though JB.
Good to see you back, me and Mikey missed you at the rave!
Anyhoo, we got the house in Homo Disney the week of 6/24-7/3 if'n you gonna be anywhere close.
PM me, we really did miss you.
Hope all's well with the kids&wife.
Later,
Rick

ZuluHotel
03-30-2006, 01:53 PM
"Steaker" definitely applies to the size of the fish. Actually, with big cod, say over 35 pounds, the fillets are sometimes so thick (3 inches or so) that cooking them becomes difficult (i.e. burned on the outside, raw in the middle). You can actually steak cod, though you'd probably be better off butterflying the thickest part of the fillet.

By the way, Bomba, what's happenin' with you?

Zach Harvey

RickBomba
03-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Hey Zach,
Tried to get in touch with you last summer thru the Fisherman...I'm good, takin a little trip to CT tomorrow.
Jess is on a cruise in the Carribean, so I'm taking advantage of my spare time.
Drunk Mike used to come to my restaurant all the time before closed, funny guy!
Later,
Rick

cheferson
03-30-2006, 03:00 PM
Sorry "The Making of a Chef" by Michael Rhulman

Great book! What part of the book is the part about your chef?? Been a while sence i read it.

spence
03-30-2006, 03:23 PM
Rhulman is a pretty interesting writer...assuming you're into food :hee:

-spence

capecodder
03-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Thanks to all. I guess I'm wondering if there is a way to gather this information into a single place, or if it already exists. Indexed by species and including handling methods, cleaning methods, etc.

For example if one were to catch a bluefin, what is the right way to handle it for either release or the table? Best way to bleed it (I think that is done), fillet or clean it, preserve it, are there parts better to eat than others, etc...

I'm not looking for how-tos on bluefin, just an example of what info might be a good resource. Maybe to include on this site.

If anyone knows of one...

RickBomba
03-30-2006, 05:18 PM
"Corky" Clark was the guy...he was the only one who showed up for school the day of the January 96 storm, when the whole state was in a state of Emergency...
Everybody was scared of him, but he liked me for some reason (maybe cause I was reeally interested in the class).
He gave me an A-; he told me it was the first one he'd given since Tim Ryan(not the president of the CIA) in 1977.
Wasn't very hard, the Institute isn't what you'd call a brain trust.
Rhulman was a year behind me exactly....I used to sit at the lunch table with him sometimes...I didn't know he was a reporter.
Later,
Rick