View Full Version : spray booth ??

pal156
03-29-2006, 07:09 PM
which type of booth works better back exhaust or down draft?

thefishingfreak
03-29-2006, 07:30 PM
tagger got a nice one... i would go with out the back your blowin the stuff towards the back anyway might as whell make it a strait shot

Slipknot
03-29-2006, 07:57 PM
tagger got a nice one... i would go with out the back your blowin the stuff towards the back anyway might as whell make it a strait shot

yep

downdraft seems to make more sense for something like a sanding table, for spraying - back exhaust is best.

Tagger
03-29-2006, 08:21 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/MEW-JC-Metal-Fabrication-Inc-Hobby-Spray-Paint-Booth_W0QQitemZ8270975417QQcategoryZ28111QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem
good, quiet, hobby size booth,, He'll build to order too.. I was looking at cardboard ones .. this unit is solid, expect to pay $65.00 S&H over this price .. I don't know him from adam . JPI got one too ... my lungs love it ..

tattoobob
03-29-2006, 09:44 PM
There is a booth in the classifieds

tattoobob
03-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Seems to be a down draft

justplugit
03-29-2006, 09:55 PM
Like Tagger said. Nice guy to deal with and the 350cfm motor handles U Pol without a trace of the stench. :D

garyb
03-30-2006, 07:10 AM
i bought one from him from ebay,the guy is nice to deal with , assembled it in a few minutes once i read the directions ,lol,shipping is alittle expensive, but it is a big box and sort of heavy

Ake G
04-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Hey Tagger or Gary, I just got one of those JC metal Hobby spraybooths. Have you guys ever sprayed Krylon rattle-can or solvent -based paints in it?

Maybe with a different filter? Thanks.

Tagger
04-13-2006, 02:47 PM
I don't use krylon .. no good reason.. so far I sprayed rustoleum paints ..painters touch,american classic,,and proffesional .. also zinnser primer... I bought a case of filters at home depot .. 6 or 7 bucks for 12.... something like that .. cheap I forget .. I'm venting to the outside ofcourse ..

Ake G
04-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Thanks Tagger for the response. Installed the spraybooth yesterday, ducted it out a sidewall. The fan seems to move a lot of air!

What concerned me was how that fan motor handles solvents, the flammable kind. I really would'nt use it that way, but I will be using spray cans once in a while. Good to hear that works well.

I've got some plugs to E-tex and soon I'll have some photos.

justplugit
04-14-2006, 08:48 PM
AG, call John at JC to ask, but i believe it is an expolsion proof motor.

thefishingfreak
04-14-2006, 08:58 PM
i wouldn't worry about it. your spraying into a filter in the back then round the corner to a squirrel cage fan right? you'd have to pump out some serious solvent to get that to flash.

Kadywampus
04-14-2006, 10:24 PM
Electric motor ignition is so rare that you may as well be worried about shark attacks in your swimming pool . I have a rear draft booth and don't think twice about explosions . Asphyxiation in my little shop is a bigger worry .
The show Myth Busters tried the myth that a shop vac picking up gasoline could become a jet engine . It turned out that they couldn't get the gas to even ignite without adding pure O2 and manipulating the motor .
If anyone gets enough fumes in their shop to blow the place up , the odds are that the poor SOB is already a gonner .