View Full Version : OTW Striper Ccup - should S-B field a Team?

JohnR
03-30-2006, 01:52 PM
IF, IF, S-B were to field a team :hihi: I first want to take a poll from you folks so I can be, err, responsible in my decision. This is so I can get a feel for what YOU all think.

The following poll will ask you if you plan to:

Register & Fish by yourself:

I plan to Fish for S-B if this site fields a team:

I am a member of MSBA and plan to fish for MSBA:

I am a member of MSBA and plan to fish for S-B:

I am a member of RISAA and plan to fish for RISAA:

I am a member of RISAA and plan to fish for S-B:

I am a member of CT Surfcasters and plan to fish for CT Surfcasters:

I am a member of CT Surfcasters and plan to fish for S-B:

I am a member of Weekapaug Surfcasters and plan to fish for Weekapaug Surfcasters:

I am a member of Weekapaug Surfcasters and plan to fish for S-B:

I am a member of ANY other club that will field a team and plan to fish for that club:

I am a member of ANY other club that will field a team and plan to fish for S-B:

My club won't likely participate, so I'll fish for S-B

What I want to do is determine if S-B should field a team and if we did, if it would it impact other clubs,

Slipknot
03-30-2006, 02:09 PM
what are the upsides, downsides, advantages or disadvantages to either signing up individually or with a club? Or does it even make a difference if you catch a cow.

ThrowingTimber
03-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Fishing for Weeka unless they decline.

Addicted
03-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Will register and fish for myself

TSPS
03-30-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't belong to any club , but I would like to chance to fish with some of the other members on this site alota knowledge out there .:read:

Joe
03-30-2006, 04:05 PM
Sink a grand or two into it and I bet you field a heck of a team.

Clammer
03-30-2006, 04:05 PM
F/I ========:wid:

MakoMike
03-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Is this a surf only thingie?

tattoobob
03-30-2006, 04:40 PM
I have nothing against the Striper Cup, But I am not going to join
I am against competition, it is for fun and I think this might take
that away for me.

JohnR
03-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Surf and Boat...

The main thing I want NOT to do is step on the toes of the "traditional" clubs. If this were to dilute the traditional clubs participation, I might be hesitant to do it. If this will have little or no bearing on the traditional clubs, I see little reason not to do it.

But I'm just trying to be responsible here :tooth:

tattoobob
03-30-2006, 04:45 PM
John Have you sent them (OTW) an email? I am sure they will answer any concerns you have. this is as much of a club as any others even more so seeing it is like a meeting every night.

JohnR
03-30-2006, 04:46 PM
John Have you sent them (OTW) an email? I am sure they will answer any concerns you have. this is as much of a club as any others even more so seeing it is like a meeting every night.

Once we have a few questions put together we can ask - who knows, they watch this site, perhaps they will engage in a little discussion :hee:

Backbeach Jake
03-30-2006, 05:16 PM
This is a new kind of fishing club. One of the 21st Century. Tradition in this type of club is yet to be established. But it is and will be established. I'll fish for S-B.

Skitterpop
03-30-2006, 05:20 PM
To be fair to other clubs just keep the teams for various states to a set limit equivalent to most independent clubs. I bet when push comes to shove you`ll be surprised to see the small amount who will enter as a S-B member.... No offense intended.

I can sign up as an individual or join some team...its still $25.00 because I`m a long time subscriber to OTW. I think,if I read the rules correctly, I have more chances to win individual prizes as a solo entrant....theoretically that is... I have to catch some big bass, kill them, and weigh them in either way.

basswipe
03-30-2006, 05:29 PM
This is a new kind of fishing club. One of the 21st Century. Tradition in this type of club is yet to be established. But it is and will be established. I'll fish for S-B.

I agree.S-B it is.

hooked
03-30-2006, 05:45 PM
I think,if I read the rules correctly, I have more chances to win individual prizes as a solo entrant....

The way I read it was that all prizes are awarded individually with 2 extra provisions for clubs.

1. the club that accrues the most points overall gets the "Striper Cup" for a year.
2. the club that accrues the most points in each state gets another trophy.

tlapinski
03-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Once we have a few questions put together we can ask - who knows, they watch this site, perhaps they will engage in a little discussion :hee:
If you find someone to return your email, let me know. I dropped someone over there an email on Monday inquiring as to how you go about registering a club and I am still waiting for a response.

Redsoxticket
03-30-2006, 06:27 PM
John, you did not add the following option to your poll as you indicated in your first message.

"Register & Fish by yourself:"

stiff tip
03-30-2006, 06:31 PM
The way I read it was that all prizes are awarded individually with 2 extra provisions for clubs.

1. the club that accrues the most points overall gets the "Striper Cup" for a year.
2. the club that accrues the most points in each state gets another trophy.
the club thing is if u belong toclubs like msba,beach buggies ass. plum island club ,cape salties atc .clubs that would be active in s- bass fishing .. like when the shaffer beer cup was fished for..indepentent or clubs doesnt matter,boat or shore, goin up take a chance even if u dont catch a thing your still in for the grand prize and party @ harp oons brewery boston ..one more thought the reason the derby ends sunday sept 17 is the party is in 2 weeks after..

Diggin Jiggin
03-30-2006, 06:32 PM
I signed up for it all ready, and if s-b has a team it would be fun to be on a team.

But I don't like the idea of weighing in 2 34" fish each week unless there's a food bank or something set up that can use/take advantage of that much fish.

To be honest I think the boat guys, and especially the commercial boat guys have a huge advantage when it comes to weighing in 2 large fish each week. I don't think a surfguy weighing in a couple of 36" fish a week can really compete for the the individual overall standings so I was really planning to fish it more for the chance at a pin or a weekly prize.

I was talking with my dad last night about this and he fished the Schaeffer tournament and has some great memories and some pins from that, he was excited to see something like this coming back and he is is going to sign up to fish it too. Now I'll just have to get him a little more internet savy and get him to join S-B :hihi:

Saltheart
03-30-2006, 07:16 PM
I would like to read about it and see the details. Any links to OTW that show info on the tourney?

tlapinski
03-30-2006, 08:11 PM
I would like to read about it and see the details. Any links to OTW that show info on the tourney?
http://www.onthewater.com/stripercuphome.html

seabass
03-30-2006, 08:39 PM
I'd love to fish for S-B, hell, I"m easy I'll use any excuse to fish! :bounce:

Flaptail
03-30-2006, 09:46 PM
If you find someone to return your email, let me know. I dropped someone over there an email on Monday inquiring as to how you go about registering a club and I am still waiting for a response.
patience young one, they are inundated and will get to yours.

Flaptail
03-30-2006, 09:49 PM
GENTLEMEN, WEIGHING TWO FISH A WEEK AT 34 INCHES IS NOT MANDATORY, IT'S A STARTING POINT. SEROIUSLY, WOULD YOU REALLY BOTHER WEIGHING IN A 34 INCH FISH IN A TOURNAMENT LIKE THIS, 34 POUNDS MAYBE, 34 INCHES? REALLY NOW BOYS, THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MOMENT.

basswipe
03-30-2006, 09:54 PM
I'd love to fish for S-B, hell, I"m easy I'll use any excuse to fish! :bounce:

Could you imagine us fishing together?I think it would be cool.

westhavendave
03-30-2006, 09:56 PM
I don't think the organizers will allow websites to participate as clubs unless they limit the amount of participants. Don't think the original intent was to have 1,000 guys from a website get the club discount either, just more food for thought. Good job on the survey.

Redsoxticket
03-30-2006, 10:03 PM
Hello OTW:

Due to the fact that the clubs with the larger amount of members that participate in the Striper Cup should but not guarntee be able to tally more points.
Therefore, I propose that the total points of each club be divided by the number of participants of that club. This would result in a fair playing field for all.

MakoMike
03-31-2006, 08:03 AM
Well,
this site is my local club, so if we field a team and the dates fit in with the rest of my schedule, I'm in!

Rockport24
03-31-2006, 09:53 AM
I agree, I visit this site everyday and try to engage in some discussion, it's a much of a club as any of the traditional ones are.
I'm sure OTW will limit the amount of entrants on website clubs though and the idea about dividing the points by number of people in the club ain't too bad..

DZ
03-31-2006, 03:03 PM
Wow – I have read the Striper Cup Rules and I’m very surprised at the response of SB.com members to say the least.

After all that the striped bass stocks have been through and the many threads about lack of large bass that I’ve read on this site I’m shocked at the support this tourney is receiving.

To have a contest that awards prizes for “Aggregate weight (points per pound)” with no limit to the amount of fished entered per club is ill conceived and, in my opinion, not very responsible in this day and age.

Many fishing clubs, including mine, dropped the “aggregate weight/points” system long ago because it was deemed part of our contest’s that endorsed the keeping of bass that would normally have been released.

I’m not “lily white” by any means as I’ve killed my share of bass over the years but the Schaefer Contest was run a long time ago when recreational concern for striped bass stocks was of little concern. A contest made to “appear” similar to it and showing no real concern for conservation issues makes us as recreational fishermen look bad.
I won't be fishing it.

DZ

BigFish
03-31-2006, 03:41 PM
DZ....many may not care about the aggregate weight......I know I don't! I am going to register and all I care about is large! I only keep 2 or 3 a year.......so I will choose my keeper carefully!;)

I usually keep a couple in the 15-25 pound range but if I catch a personal best....I will weigh it and enter it......and eat it!

The aggregate weight is more for the sum total of a club I believe....I may be wrong.

Ed B
03-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Each pound is worth ONE POINT.

"Angler of the Year" is based on accumulated POINTS

Winning Club is based on accumulated POINTS

To compete for those categories, each angler will be killing 2 fish a week over the course of a 20 week tournament, to get his points.

Does anyone here think that is the right thing to do in this day and age?

I think it's disgusting.

Ed

Canalman
03-31-2006, 03:55 PM
John,

Put me on the team... PLease

Rockport24
03-31-2006, 04:39 PM
I gotta admit, I'm really am on the fence here about this 2 fish per week thing. Because you guys are right, it goes by accumulated points, so the more you catch the better. 34 inches really ain't that big, what is the normal wieght for that size, like 13-15 pounds? I can see guys just taking them for the tourney with the mentality that "every little bit helps" when they would normally release them thinking they are nothing special.

Elmo
03-31-2006, 05:27 PM
It really doesn't appear that a lot of thought went into the numbers of fish that will now be kept. Hopefully most will take Bigfish's approach (as I plan to), keep a fish only if it is a Cow and hope to win the boat at the Harpoon Brewery event!:)

Oh yes, and also have a few harpoons!

JohnR
03-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Interesting point - do we encourage that the only fish kept once the first 2 are taken, must be larger than a previous? Impose our own self policing?

Yes, I muc prefer C&R tourneys, they can work which is why we do them, pluse serveral Club Tourneys, Tri-State etc, but other "open" tourneys, the prospect for cheating is too great.

nightfighter
03-31-2006, 05:57 PM
Every tournament has it's all out whackos. This is a 20 week tourney.There isn't a prayer in hell that I'm gonna weigh in two fish every week. Weigh stations are gonna be a drive, at least they always have been for any statewide tourney. If I have a nice fish, and it's 6 AM on a weekday, I'm not blowing off a morning of work to weigh a fish! If I have folks looking for a meal, I might, might fillet it and deliver it in a cooler. I will enter and fish for S-B, as it is the 'club' that I am most active in and get the most out of. If I contribute a couple fish to the 'club's' total for the Cup, great. If I get a personal best, yes I will enter it and hope for a pin and a chance at a weekly prize. Twenty weeks is a long tourney and the great majority will not come close to entering two fish every week.
That said, I personally am of the opinion that the striped bass stock is in extremely good shape, though the stock of >50# fish may be a smaller percentage than back in the day. Please do not take that to mean that I believe everyone should kill their allowed two fish a day every day. I just don't think that this tournament will put undue pressure on the stock in the long run/big picture.
Just wondering, how many fish do you think you will weigh in over 20 weeks??? I would guess that I would be weighing maybe five to 8 fish, and that's IF S-B enters a team. But those would be five or eight I would have killed anyway, NOT in addition to my yearly total just because of the tournament/

Karl F
03-31-2006, 06:52 PM
Wow – I have read the Striper Cup Rules and I’m very surprised at the response of SB.com members to say the least.

After all that the striped bass stocks have been through and the many threads about lack of large bass that I’ve read on this site I’m shocked at the support this tourney is receiving.

To have a contest that awards prizes for “Aggregate weight (points per pound)” with no limit to the amount of fished entered per club is ill conceived and, in my opinion, not very responsible in this day and age.

Many fishing clubs, including mine, dropped the “aggregate weight/points” system long ago because it was deemed part of our contest’s that endorsed the keeping of bass that would normally have been released.

I’m not “lily white” by any means as I’ve killed my share of bass over the years but the Schaefer Contest was run a long time ago when recreational concern for striped bass stocks was of little concern. A contest made to “appear” similar to it and showing no real concern for conservation issues makes us as recreational fishermen look bad.
I won't be fishing it.

DZ

Each pound is worth ONE POINT.

"Angler of the Year" is based on accumulated POINTS

Winning Club is based on accumulated POINTS

To compete for those categories, each angler will be killing 2 fish a week over the course of a 20 week tournament, to get his points.

Does anyone here think that is the right thing to do in this day and age?

I think it's disgusting.

Ed

Good points from two knowledgeable gents.
I think the Schaeffer had it's day, at the right time.
Not for today's world.

I won't be participating, not that I'd have a snowballs chance at winning, mind you, I just can't support more pressure on the fish.
As much as I cannot support more pressure on access points.

GENTLEMEN, WEIGHING TWO FISH A WEEK AT 34 INCHES IS NOT MANDATORY, IT'S A STARTING POINT. SEROIUSLY, WOULD YOU REALLY BOTHER WEIGHING IN A 34 INCH FISH IN A TOURNAMENT LIKE THIS, 34 POUNDS MAYBE, 34 INCHES? REALLY NOW BOYS, THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MOMENT.

Point taken, and yes you are correct, not mandatory... But, how many will sign up, and do just that, thinking only of a shiny new truck or boat, or pins, trophyies etc?..... You know the nature of that kind of beast.

Those that join in the contest, good luck, have fun.

stiff tip
03-31-2006, 07:36 PM
Hello OTW:

Due to the fact that the clubs with the larger amount of members that participate in the Striper Cup should but not guarntee be able to tally more points.
Therefore, I propose that the total points of each club be divided by the number of participants of that club. This would result in a fair playing field for all.
i like that idear,ill talk to the otw staffers @ rissa show ,,,run it buy i,m,,,,to see that they think ?????remember i,ts the first year and the rules may need twenking....bassfishing was for money,aswell as the prizes and trophys the thinking was a little different in the 40-50-60 s bass selling added to the beach and boat mens a little change in there pocketsfor gas + goodies the bottom line is are you in or out??roll with the wave..{put up, OR shut up} .... "i,m in "...:ss:

RickBomba
03-31-2006, 07:55 PM
I would love to be on the SB team, and I'm sure the other Bomba is in as well.
Let us know...
If not, yall better look out for Team Bomba.
Later,
Rick

tattoobob
03-31-2006, 09:48 PM
Naragansett is now having a tourny almost the same as this one, Small this year then full blown next year, see them at the show this weekend, free beer to

Redsoxticket
04-01-2006, 12:38 AM
Dz is a wise and knowledgeable fishman who's view should be considered before S-B commits to this Cup.
If I was the leader of this board I would consult with the sharpie members and possibly non members (Frank Daignault, etc.) to discuss the pros and cons.
It is easy to be a follower and adhere to the OTW Striper Cup's grand marketing strategy but a leader will believe in doing what is right for the bass fishery.