View Full Version : Rigging SurfHog eels.

basswipe
04-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Nice btw Nebe.

But to the questions at hand when rigging one with a jig should the flat side be on top or bottom?I'm assuming the hook should come out the"fat" side.I just don't want to rig wrong and end up tearing up the eel.

Also have you rigged one with a Pt.Jude wobblehead?I have several and they look to be made for each other.

ThrowingTimber
04-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Flat side up. Hook going out through the bottom of the bulbous part, think Keel. On the second hook you want to slide in inserts or finish nails for weight, one on either side of your hooks shank :wave:

NIB
04-02-2006, 10:19 AM
If not sure how to rig the Ebeneeel.he said in a few days on his website he will have detailed instructions.I suggest u wait.

basswipe
04-02-2006, 11:50 AM
He has the rigging for double hooks but no specifics for using a jig.

With a jig the hook's gonna have to come out the top.It seems to me that you'd want the hook to come out the fat meaty part and not the flat side.

So I guess the main question is can these eels be rigged with a jig with the flat side down and not wreck the action?

NIB
04-02-2006, 12:31 PM
He has the rigging for double hooks but no specifics for using a jig.

With a jig the hook's gonna have to come out the top.It seems to me that you'd want the hook to come out the fat meaty part and not the flat side.

So I guess the main question is can these eels be rigged with a jig with the flat side down and not wreck the action?

I guess u can rig it any way u want on a jig i would rig it flat side up.Just take a little off the nose like a 1/8" so u have a flat spot to meet the back of the jig on.Bullets would be best for this.U don't wanna take too much off so that the rubber is bigger than the back of the jighead.Just a dab of Ca type glue an ur good to go.For the surf I would say 1/2-1 oz jigs Like the kalin when u get to 1.5 oz the owner bullets are the best that weight is probably better suited for movig or bigger water.

Nebe
04-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Hey basswipe- the eel is designed to swim with the belly down, so i would reccomend you stab the hook up through the flat side like in this picture. The rubber is pretty strong, so dont worry about it tearing on you from casting. a battle with a few fish might rip it, but not casting. Use a little zap-a-gap on the shank of the hook to hold it in place.

I am working on a photo sheet right now on how to rig them.. its pretty much just like a sluggo as far as rigging, but a little different because of the eels fat belly.

Nebe
04-02-2006, 03:11 PM
havnet tried the PT Jude wobble head.. perhaps the owner will hook me up with a sample :hihi:

basswipe
04-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Nebe I just got back from swimming one on a wobblehead.:btu:

With those glass eyes those things are gonna be killer on a wobblehead!

Btw went with flat side up.:uhuh:

likwid
04-02-2006, 06:45 PM
nebe, i got some rubbah from Pete.

i'm gonna feed it to boofish :hihi:

jbuck
04-02-2006, 07:16 PM
havnet tried the PT Jude wobble head.. perhaps the owner will hook me up with a sample :hihi:

Nebe, I will talk to the boss and see what I can do.

:)

Nebe
04-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Nebe I just got back from swimming one on a wobblehead.:btu:

With those glass eyes those things are gonna be killer on a wobblehead!

Btw went with flat side up.:uhuh:
sounds great- you have been the first human being to swim one of my eels on one :D June cant come fast enough :D

basswipe
04-03-2006, 07:04 PM
sounds great- you have been the first human being to swim one of my eels on one :D June cant come fast enough :D

You guys gotta get together.Under big surf or current your eels and his wobbleheads are gonna be insane.

I swam it again tonight.Its just right.

Nebe
04-03-2006, 07:47 PM
:humpty:

was it the big wobblehead or the small one???

basswipe
04-04-2006, 08:38 PM
:humpty:

was it the big wobblehead or the small one???

The big one.I know a have two of the smaller ones but I just can't find them!

RIROCKHOUND
04-05-2006, 08:15 AM

Close, I think BW may have been Second...
When I was testing my swap plugs, I made a few casts at my testing spot on the small wobble head...
I didnt have a big wobble with me, but I think the big one will be a better fit...
especially at the illustrious "Plan B" :soon:

Nebe
04-05-2006, 11:15 AM
ahh "plan B".. yes, i know that place well :humpty: