View Full Version : question for the land scrapers

Nebe
04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
how much does sod go for per square foot?? Also, can you get it for different light levels?? My yard has multiple huge oak trees, so its pretty shady.

Swimmer
04-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Thats an interesting question about light levels and buying sod. Never thought of that before. All the sod I see is grown in sunny areas in East Bridgewater. I will ask those who know and if on Tuesday I run into Cam Woodard the sod farmer I'll ask him personally for you Nebe.

Goose
04-03-2006, 08:36 PM
There is sod for shade, not sure on prices but I'll look into it and let you know.

Nebe
04-04-2006, 07:15 AM
thanks guys :D

spence
04-04-2006, 07:27 AM
Nebe, what you have isn't "shade" as much as "deep, deep jungle".

Either cut down 1/2 your trees or use some ground cover. I'd also wonder what the impact of all those leaves would be as well.

-spence

Nebe
04-04-2006, 08:20 AM
I'd also wonder what the impact of all those leaves would be as well.

-spence

come rake for a day and you will quickly learn the impact of all those leaves :wall:

SAXATILUS
04-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Price will depend on wether or not you install it. I'd say anywhere from 20 to 35 cents a sq'. You will get your best price from one of the smaller guys in so.co. Installing is easy buy some beer, get a couple buds and have it done in two days tops depending on how big of an area. Turf is very high maintenance, do you have a well or town water, It will require an inch of water a week and will take probably two years to be established. You can always grow your own too. URI seed will give you a very thick lush lawn and has the same three grasses in it, Rye,fescue and blue.

Nebe
04-04-2006, 03:01 PM
hmm good ponts saxatllus. i considered growing my own and will try that in some parts of my yard, but there are other parts that i need insta-grass so my kid can play on right away-...

heres where i am at this point- the foreground is where i want to lay sod down and the hill in the background will get seed. I suspect i have to lay some loam down first before i lay the sod... that dirt is full of roots and rocks. trees to the left of the Pic are getting cut down and I also have to dig a trench for that gutter pipe.

ahh the joys of home ownership

SAXATILUS
04-04-2006, 05:10 PM
It never ends dude. Make sure you have at least 6" of topsoil for that sod to take. There's a guy on great swamp monument rd off of rt 2, that has probably the best price around.

tynan19
04-04-2006, 07:41 PM
Yes you will definitely need some loom on top of that ground. You will need something for the roots to take too. Putting down sod is easy and really doesn't take to long. Sax's point on the water is right on. It will need lots of attention while it is setting.

Call a few landscapers to get an estimate on what it will cost or the amount that you will need.

Back Beach
04-05-2006, 06:15 AM
how much does sod go for per square foot?? Also, can you get it for different light levels?? My yard has multiple huge oak trees, so its pretty shady.

Nebe,

Shoot me a pm. I can help you out a little.

Raven
04-05-2006, 06:27 AM
because i have done allot of farming and still continue to do so...

i know allot of miscellanious facts... and one thing you have to know about oak tree leaves
is that they have a built in inhibitor for grass to grow( inside the leaf ) as tannic acid...

you'd be better off building an indoor outdoor (screen porch) playroom with artificial
turf ......where your kid is better protected from skeetos ...

otherwise its an uphill struggle to get grass to grow in OAK tree shade.

you could always make your own sod by buying shade mix grass seed and growing
it on top of plastic in full sun seperated by sticks
so you can just roll it up and then roll it back out where needed.

its snowing here.....:mad: i knew this was coming...

fishdump
04-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Nebe,
As Raven said the Tannic Acid will inhibit growth. If you ever drive down RT 2 past kingston turf farms, there is a gray house on the left hand side (driving south) that cleared and sodded last year and it looks great. The thing is, they did big island of chipped wood under the oaks in the yard and they are out there pretty much as soon as the leaves start falling clearing them so they down effect the sod. And if I'm not mistaken they also had a sprinkler system installed. I am looking to do the same eventually. Let us know how you make out.

SAXATILUS
04-05-2006, 08:43 AM
I live near that grey house, that dudes yard is awesome.

Nebe
04-05-2006, 11:19 AM
hmmm i live close- so i will check it out.

Ive lived here in this house for 3 years with a jungle for a yard, but with a 19 month old running around, i gotta get some grass for him.

Bill L
04-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Evan, your house isnt round by any chance, is it?

Nebe
04-05-2006, 07:43 PM
round?? no its a long rectangle.

Bill L
04-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Back yard looks just like a house a friend back in HS lived in for a few years... had a little deja vu (and yes, it was round).

Goose
04-07-2006, 05:58 PM
.27-.30 psf depending on how much you need. The place is out of Kingston RI, let me know if you need #er's.

Nebe
04-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks goose- i live in kingston so this will be easy- I need time to finnish clearing the brush, fall some trees, then i have to get a topsoil delivery... yowzers.. this is alot of work.

Sea Dangles
04-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Nebe,you can have that area hydroseeded and be mowing it in 4 weeks for a fraction of the cost.Any Lesco shade mix will work just fine.Six inches would be another waste,looks like you already have loam although it's mixed with roots,just cover it and get a bobcat with a rockhound to grade it out and spray the next day.Now is the time of year to do this,less watering.My youngest is 20 months and every day gets wilder.The oldest turned nine in february and for his b-day got his first waders.At age 7 he caght a 23# soaking sandeels at R.P.

Nebe
04-07-2006, 06:48 PM
hey now! i like yer thinking :boots:

i better get cracking... april showers brings may flowers and may flowers brings 20 lbers :hihi:

Raven
04-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Thanks goose- i live in kingston so this will be easy- I need time to finnish clearing the brush, fall some trees, then i have to get a topsoil delivery... yowzers.. this is alot of work.

thats fell some trees..... and they're much bigger on the ground :uhuh:

Nebe
04-07-2006, 08:05 PM
ohhh a arborist's faux pas. :bl: