View Full Version : What Rod Rack Set up ?

Jersey_Jim
04-15-2002, 11:40 AM
Opinions Wanted Rod Racks Question_ I have a Ford Explorer and want to find some Easy on & Off Rod racks. Am thinking of the Rod Mounts roof racks & one of those strap type rigs from Cabellas. I only will carry a max of 4 or 5 rods . Will this work for my purposes??
TX Jersey Jim

fishsmith
04-15-2002, 01:02 PM
I use a 2x4 with pvc screwed into one side. This is on the rear crossbar of cars roof rack. on the front bar of my roof rack I used two pieces of framing wood (1/4" x 3") anything small will work. I put foam around each piece of wood and covered the foam with an old shirt and staple gunned it into the wood. now you have a 2 x 4 with 4 pvc pipes and two foam covered (padded) pieces of wood. tie down the rear side with twine ( I use a few 1/2 hitches for a knot) . for the front just put the piece padded wood on top of your cars roof rack staple side down, and put other piece on top of the rod tips, and tie down with more 1/2 hitches.
You won't win a beauty contest, but this works for me.

Saltheart
04-16-2002, 09:16 AM
Thule has a set up where you buy some fixtures to fit the existing Explorer rack and then you add the rod rack (ski rack) section to that. Its comparatively inexpensive and easy to get on and off since it uses the existing luggage rack. You can get a small ski rack section. A long section or two short sections. I have one long section mounted centrally. There is even a lock and key set you can buy seperately (I got the lock and key).

Steve K
04-16-2002, 09:30 AM
I have a Thule rack. If you already have the cross bars then removing the ski rack attachments is fairly easy, just two thumb screws per rack. If you are looking for something like those suction cup type attachments, I would look elsewhere because I have heard of people losing them on the highway.

Steve

tobias
04-16-2002, 09:38 AM
Go with a Thule rack or a Yakima rack. I know you can get a ski rack(6 pair ski) for about $100 and the clamps for $20-$30 to attach the ski rack to your explorer's rack. The locks are $20 a pair. So for about $150 you get a rack system that takes only minutes to take on and off and the great thing I like about it is that you can lock your poles!

Tobias

HESH2
04-17-2002, 05:46 PM
CABELLAS HAS A 2 ROD ROOF RACK FROM FENTRESS MARINE FOR $30.I BOUGHT 2 HOLDS 4 RODS=BLACK PCV ATTACHES WITH PLASTIC TIE DOWNS TO ROOF RACK BAR OR IF YOU WANT STAINLESS SCREWS.WORKS GREAT

FrankG
04-19-2002, 01:30 PM
Ditto on the Fentress racks from Cabelas. Been using 'em for 2 seasons and no problems at all. 30 bucks each, only downside is you can't lock your rods in, but where I fish I aint leaving my rods anyway. They'd steal the truck,rack, rods, and all.:)