View Full Version : New to roller trailer?

eelman
04-07-2006, 06:21 AM
Launched the boat the other night just for a test ride but, when I took it out I noticed it was a couple inches off to one side on the trailer. Tried to push it over myself but quickly realized this boat is much heavier than the tin boat. Anyway my othe trailer was a bunk, to get the boat on straight, do you not back in as far with rollers? I didnt notice till I got home that it was "#^&#^&#^&#^& center a bit. Doing it alone, I cant see the back of the boat and bring it out of the water at the same time. I did buy those post guides but obviously it didnt help much...

fishsmith
04-07-2006, 06:42 AM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&,
for the roller trailers I've been around, the deeper you sink your trailer the more problems you open up. keeping the tops of the fenders out of the water has been the trick I use.
good luck

ProfessorM
04-07-2006, 09:28 AM
I don't go in any further than it takes the farthest most rollers to just touch the water. Should center itself no problem. Paul

Roger
04-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Ditto the advice above. Also, a couple inches off center is nothing to worry about.

GBOUTDOORS
04-07-2006, 10:45 AM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& as others said only put the trailer in as far as the first set of rollers and it will self center. Now as far as tieing it down to the trailer you should ask Clammer or John the best way NOT to do that.:doh:

tynan19
04-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Same as above, if the rollers are two far in the water the boat will float off-center when you pull it up. You need to crank it on the rollers to get it straight. Tie it down also for the trip home or it can bounce off the middle also.

striperman36
04-07-2006, 11:26 AM
I agree with Prof M
When I used a roller trailer I only backed down enough to have the back rollers touch the water.
Buy a electric winch, you'll be cranking a lot. And lube the rollers frequently.
You should have no issues if the rollers are adjusted for your boat correctly.

Bill

eelman
04-07-2006, 11:27 AM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& as others said only put the trailer in as far as the first set of rollers and it will self center. Now as far as tieing it down to the trailer you should ask Clammer or John the best way NOT to do that.:doh:

ummmm yes I know:btu:

Launching with rollers is awesome, one touch and it slides right off. I will try not to back down so far next time! So, being off center a bit wont put undue stress on the hull? good!

eelman
04-07-2006, 11:29 AM
I agree with Prof M
When I used a roller trailer I only backed down enough to have the back rollers touch the water.
Buy a electric winch, you'll be cranking a lot. And lube the rollers frequently.
You should have no issues if the rollers are adjusted for your boat correctly.

Bill
When I picked the boat up last week it was on the trailer perfect! So I would asume the guys at G AND S Adjusted them correctly. They do rattle somewhat what over bumps but by cinching the straps down tighter it took some of that out. Boat only came with transon straps I added one over the top also...

tynan19
04-07-2006, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't think it would put stress on the hull unless it way off but the trailer might not pull straight. It could sway at high speeds due to the weight difference over the wheels.

Roger
04-07-2006, 01:22 PM
When I picked the boat up last week it was on the trailer perfect! So I would asume the guys at G AND S Adjusted them correctly. They do rattle somewhat what over bumps but by cinching the straps down tighter it took some of that out. Boat only came with transon straps I added one over the top also...

When at rest, unstrapped on level ground, none of the rollers should be loose. Also, tie down straps should be snug, but not too tight. FWIW you only need one good system: transom or over the gunwale. But you really need to have a safety chain attached from the bow eye to the trailer in such a way as to prevent the boat from sliding forward from a sudden stop or collision.

Once you get used to it, you'll be able to drive it on to within a couple feet of the stanchion, tie off, climb out and crank her up the last few feet and drive up the ramp.:btu:

fishsmith
04-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Good point on the safety chain/rope Roger, once you trust the boat won't move on its own .......
I can still see my boat rolling off the trailer and into Green Harbor (with the motor running :wall: ) - thank god the tide and wind were on my side, but I did put on a good show for the ramp watchers .

Just another fine lesson taught at my alma-mada - 'The School of Hard Knocks'

Bigcat
04-07-2006, 05:19 PM
A neighbor and I put a brand new Jones Brother back on a trailer last fall. The owner was new to launching unhooked everything and started to back down the ramp. Wow them new rollers really spin fast and free.
Went home got some timbers and a come-along and got it back on.
The guy was lucky just a few scratches.