View Full Version : Matching line weight to rod?

riarcher
04-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Okay, probably a dumb question for most of you. But this dummy needs to know.
Other than going out and buying one of each @ $50 a pop. How does one figure a good starting point for matching a line weight?
And "What" constitutes a good line weight?
Several years ago, I bought what I thought was a good 9 ft. custom rod for a #9-10 weight line. However, all the 10's I've tried makes the rod feel like a limp noodle. For a graphite rod,, my 30 yr. old Fenwick glass rod (8 weight) out performs it hands down for ease of casting, distance, and balance.
Obviously,,, I'm missing something with this custom rod (was made by Fin & Feather - thought to be good?)
HELP!

steelhead
04-07-2006, 12:15 PM
On May 1, a group of guys are getting together to work on matching lines to rods at Quonny Pond in Rhode Island. The details are on the main board at stripermoon.com They did a get together this past weekend with some very interesting results. The results are also posted on the website. If you read this Basser, maybe you can comment further. I understand you were there providing entertainment :-)

You might want to check out the get together out.

SAXATILUS
04-07-2006, 01:09 PM
What steelhead said. Wait till may, they will set you up with the right line for your rod, no doubt about it.

Basser
04-07-2006, 01:15 PM
Yes, Steelhead.... we will be there! Quonny am on the first Sat in May...I believe the date is May 6th

and we will find the right line for that rod!

FishHawk
04-08-2006, 08:39 AM
This is a huge problem with most rods. I was told by a manufacturer to overline my rod. Winston is the only rod that I know of that really adheres to the standards. Also, I would recommend casting a fly that you use most often to see how it really performs. A Clouser casts differently than a Flatwing. Another thing you could do is contact the manufacture and see what lines they recommend for their rods. FishHawk

steelhead
04-08-2006, 05:10 PM
Basser, will you be wearing your cap?

Basser
04-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Only if Ken shaves his head:jump:

steelhead
04-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Basser, should we bring shaving cream and a razor????

riarcher
04-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Thanks Steelhead.
May 8th, right around the corner from me. Think I'll bring the Yak too! Couldbe some schoolies in by then for sure.

Basser
04-09-2006, 06:07 AM
Steelhead, I think we should shave it dry! ARe you coming down?

Archer, I believe the first Sat in May is the 6th..

steelhead
04-09-2006, 06:52 AM
That's the plan.