View Full Version : Deep diving swimmers??

lurch
04-07-2006, 02:14 PM
What do you folks use as deep diving swimmers?

Also, I was looking at the Gapen and night stalker jointed swimmers from (Cape Cod tackle), does anyone know if these are sinking or floating? I would think that the night stalker does not float as it is 4+ oz.

Sea Dangles
04-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Try Tattoo's deep diving swimmer.Excellent product.

lurch
04-07-2006, 02:44 PM
I have some of those but they only dive 2-4 feet. is there any metal lipped swimmers out there that dives deeper (6-10ft)?

choggieman
04-07-2006, 04:38 PM
I 2nd Sea Dangles, give the Tattoo deep diver a go. Did very well with it last fall.

Sea Dangles
04-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Laugh if you want but the old rebel jawbreaker is still around cuz it works.Polish shad is another.There are ways to make Tattoos deep diver swim deeper.:eek:

pops
04-07-2006, 06:00 PM
and these...MAC pickies feel like they are getting hits from hitting bottom ,
they get down several feet
:buds:

Zeno
04-07-2006, 07:26 PM
I have some of those but they only dive 2-4 feet. is there any metal lipped swimmers out there that dives deeper (6-10ft)?

cowboys and conrads

theSURF121
04-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Salmo makes a lure called a Giant Chubby. Might be of some interest if you need a lure that gets down deep.Alot of play on words here:biglaugh:

Peter Lajoie
04-08-2006, 03:00 AM
Dont waste your money on the night stalkers.:yak: Try to get yourself some cowboys like Z said.

SeaWolf
04-08-2006, 05:47 AM
lurch, i also would highly recommend tattoo's diving swimmer. i fished it last year to the point where i never left w/o one or 2 in my bag. that's how confident i was in that lure. i fished it in a 4-8' heave late last fall, was kicking stones up to 6" of the shoreline, and had to pull the lure from the water it dug in that well. i was getting down 6'+ easily. how? bend the eye of the lure up as much as you need to get the desired results. you will not be disappointed. even stock out of the package, the diving swimmer goes down about 3-5' depending on the surf conditions.

lurch
04-08-2006, 08:06 AM
I think for most surfcasting scenarios a tattoo swimmer will work great but I am thinking of certain locations in the canal where I want to get down quick. The problem is with a medium swimmer, the current will take the lure before it gets down to the depth I feel the fish are at.

I bought some tattoo divers and have not used them yet but with lure adjustments I should be able to get them down far enough.

NIB
04-08-2006, 12:11 PM
On a swimmer bend the eyelet up an the lip up this will make it dig good u want more depth add a heavier front treble like a heavy owner.A bottle plug will get u to those dephts ur lookin for also.Worked well for me in similar scenario to the canal.

Canalman
04-08-2006, 09:32 PM
I don't think you'll find a deep diver that will hang in the current at the ditch and still come back to you in one piece. With the current and the lip... that plug would get down and very likely snag as you pulled it up the embankment.... I could be wrong... but isn't that why we have storms and the like?

-Dave

spence
04-08-2006, 09:39 PM
and these...MAC pickies feel like they are getting hits from hitting bottom ,
they get down several feet
:buds:
Yea, I've also found I can fish MAC's pikies at many depths...it is an unbelieveable plug. Too bad I've only got 2 left :sick:

-spence

Mike P
04-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Nib's right on about a bottle plug. I've taken hundreds of bass in the Canal at night on them. Save the metal lips for the last hour or so of the tide. If you're not getting deep enough with a bottle swimmer, go with a Storm or Tsunami (don't like the hooks, tho).

lurch
04-09-2006, 03:13 PM
I don't think you'll find a deep diver that will hang in the current at the ditch and still come back to you in one piece. With the current and the lip... that plug would get down and very likely snag as you pulled it up the embankment.... I could be wrong... but isn't that why we have storms and the like?

-Dave

Good point! Maybe the ditch was a bad example. There are so many places where I can think of that a very deep swimmer would be perfect to use but a bottle plug would work well too.

NIB
04-09-2006, 05:07 PM

-Dave

There are plenty of places u can get out to work a plug back agianst the tide especially that last hr.u'd be surprised what moves up along the ledges when the tide craps out.Only problem i have with plugs are the trebles.even 4/0 hooks don't stand a chance in a full bore tide.U got to go with the heavy owners.they won't bend but they will pull. There is nothing like a good jig hook.Take a shad body an work the weights of the leadheads till u get the performance(depth) u want.Kreep that baby back up against the tide an hold on.Thats a gem of a NIB secret that has landed me many good fish.

Canalman
04-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Yea at the tail end of the tide... but not at full tide... I've done best on my mac bottle darter.... jeeze I guess mac makes some quality stuff eh?

-Dave

NIB
04-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Darters are the new Bottle plugs.When the situation called for a plug for current.We would never thro a darter.Always bottles.Its amazing how things change. I bet there are guys that have never even thrown a bottle plug.Many a good fish have been taken on em.Thy pump away in the current.i guess they are hard to find as the newer ones are not like the older models.I been buyin up some SS bottles they have been workin good for me when I don't really want to break out some old Gibbs or Hahns.Johnee Habs got one of the few i have made.It was a special plug i was saving for special situation.I miss it terribly.:poke:

gone fishin
04-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Nib - I have been making a bottle just for the ditch. I too, used nothing but a bottle in the canal when the tide is running. takes some getting used to, but can be very productive. Have you ever wrapped one with a eelskin??:tooth: For deep stuff I still like a crippled herring or similar - about 4 to 5 ounces. Tires ya out though.

lurch
04-09-2006, 07:26 PM
A bottle will wear you out as well...all that pulling with that heavy current is much more than a crippled herring IMO.

lurch
04-09-2006, 07:32 PM
What do you folks use as deep diving swimmers?

Also, I was looking at the Gapen and night stalker jointed swimmers from (Cape Cod tackle), does anyone know if these are sinking or floating? I would think that the night stalker does not float as it is 4+ oz.

What about those Gapen or Night stalker swimmers, do they float or sink....anyone??

Peter Lajoie
04-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Lurch the night stalkers ones I have sink.

NIB
04-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Is that the big jointed plastic thing I got from CC tackle.?
Mine has a really cool action I cant wait to throw it.

Mike P
04-10-2006, 09:59 AM
A bottle will wear you out as well...all that pulling with that heavy current is much more than a crippled herring IMO.

Why are you pulling? Just cast it straight out or slightly downcurrent, let the line tighten, and let the current do all the work. Hold the rod at about 10 o'clock and you'll feel the plug drumming. Lot easier than humping 4 oz up from 35' down.

lurch
04-10-2006, 11:08 AM
That is true but reeling in a bottle in the heavy current is much more work than reeling in a crippled herring....