View Full Version : OTW Striper Cup, enhanced rules, Should S-B fish as a team?

JohnR
04-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Primary Improvements are listed below - Detailed Rules are listed on OTW's site: http://onthewater.com/stripercuprules.html as well as the post by WHDave: http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=30572

1 Reduced weighed in fish from 2 to 1 per week (still 34" minimum which is a common minimum in club contests)

2 Angler of Year - 2 Divisions, Boat & Surf, with each division awarding to the aggregate weight of the top 5 fish of any one angler - also down considerably in the total amount of fish potentially wieghed in.

3 Striper Cup, Club, and State awards are based on the heaviest TEN fish weighed in by a club. The new rules effectively remove the need of weighing in 34 inch fish as well as bringing small clubs and large clubs more on par, evening the odds.

I personally feel that OTW made substantial changes to the BENEFIT of this tournament and I applaude their efforts in doing so. You all spoke, others from clubs and individual readers spoke, and On The Water listened and embraced the general consensus. The process of oublic comment worked, and OTW addressed the majority of the concerns of the public.

So now, we are in Club OTW Poll Part Deaux. I am looking to get the pulse of the site members as to whether S-B should field a team under the new rules but I need your opinions:

BTW - you can vote twice...

BigFish
04-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Goin' solo.:kewl: Team BigFish!;)

Sea Dangles
04-08-2006, 02:49 PM
:musc: John, no offense but when did S-B become a club?An organization that traditionally you apply to for membership and has meetings besides wings or tctfn.If this is something that came about because of power in numbers or a good shot to win given the loose description regarding clubs I think it is wrong.S-B is a great site and will be around for a long time allah willing, but perhaps we should sit out one year before entering the present format.Next year the trophy could rest at Hooters.:musc:

JohnR
04-08-2006, 03:40 PM
:musc: John, no offense but when did S-B become a club?An organization that traditionally you apply to for membership and has meetings besides wings or tctfn.If this is something that came about because of power in numbers or a good shot to win given the loose description regarding clubs I think it is wrong.S-B is a great site and will be around for a long time allah willing, but perhaps we should sit out one year before entering the present format.Next year the trophy could rest at Hooters.:musc:
We are a new generation of club that dovetails nicely with the traditional clubs and offers less in some cases and offers more in others. Plus we support clubs. If you feel that we don't qualify as a club then obviously you would not fish for a not club so sign the Poll that you'll fish individually, as part of another club, or to not fish it at all. Your choice.

However, there has been some scuttlebutt that groups like SB and some other sites may be able to field a team. If that is the case AND the members here WANT S-B to field a team, perhaps we will. As for power in numbers and the fact that a lot of our people will fish for traditional clubs they belong to (and we are just giving people an option to fish with us), I think we are smaller than a lot of clubs, certainly like MSBA or RISAA. I've heard rumors (nothing official) that it may be by state anyway...

The question at this point, and where you are encouraged to vote on the poll, is which way each of you feel we should go. This is not my call, but that of the SB members.

Sea Dangles
04-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Just trying to provide the pulse of the membership albeit one member.Are websites eligible to enter as clubs or would this involve more "tweaking"?If OTW considers us eligible to enter, are we then supposed to conveniently reinvent of ourselves as a club given necessity is the mother of invention.Please explain "new generation of club" given the fact this tournament is one that is trying to bring back a tradition.:conf:

tattoobob
04-08-2006, 04:16 PM
I am also going solo, I know I am not going large but I am in it for the party

Saltheart
04-08-2006, 04:55 PM
I like the rule changes. If we can , lets field a S_B team. If for some reason we can't or don't field a team , I'm going to enter as an individual just so I can go to the beer party at the end. :)

Slinger
04-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Under the new rules I will enter individually. I primarily fly fish with only an occasional foray with the spin rod. I doubt I have any real chance but I`d like to put one of those 30 pins on my hat and know it was with a fly. Congrats to OTW they listened and did the right thing, allways been my favorite rag since day one.
Slinger

JohnR
04-08-2006, 05:03 PM
SD, over the past few years we have had numerous discussions on how we are similar to and seperate from a traditional club, often due to tournaments. As that is not the topic of this thread I want to see this stay on topic and get the general consensus of what people want to do regarding this tourney...

Thanks,

John

Sea Dangles
04-08-2006, 05:16 PM
I thought the timing seemed self-serving but do as you wish.I look forward to the celebration at the conclusion.:gu:BTW how many members are in our "club"?

Nebe
04-08-2006, 05:29 PM
if OTW allows internet fishing sites to participate, there should be a seperate division for them. Not knocking this site or anyother site, but the membership levels on these sites are monstorous. Plus, each site has members from maine to north carolina. If SB.com enters i will all of you the best of luck :musc: Im not going to enter.

Clogston29
04-08-2006, 05:42 PM
I don't think that I'm gonna enter. I do applaud otw's response to concerns of fishermen but I just don't see this as something that's for me.

Slipknot
04-08-2006, 05:51 PM
I don't think the forums should enter as a club, at first I did but after giving it some thought I think the traditional clubs are what OTW had in mind. Also I am not going to enter as a club member for msba either since only 10 fish can be entered, I don't want to get involved with any of that since they most likely would want the best fisherman to enter fish and I have to be lucky to catch one 30 or better each year. Seems like it will take alot of decisions to which fish should be entered, if 10 fish get weighed in fairly early in the tourney, then that lessons the chance for the club to win I'd say, so maybe the club will have to figure out how to keep track of club entered fish possible by updating there website or something, I see problems there.
Maybe I'll join just to go to the party afterwards:gu:

JohnR
04-08-2006, 05:52 PM
if OTW allows internet fishing sites to participate, there should be a seperate division for them. Not knocking this site or anyother site, but the membership levels on these sites are monstorous. Plus, each site has members from maine to north carolina. If SB.com enters i will all of you the best of luck :musc: Im not going to enter.

What I have not officially heard is - will they allow sites to compete. But the "rumor" mill has it that the sites would be SB RI or SB Mass. Don't know if ANY of it is true. And even if it is I don't know if S-B will field a team - that is up to all of you. At this point I am even money fishing it whether or not SB is in, individually or with a club for which I am a member.

Oh and the party afterwards, I think we need to book some rooms, TFHTF nite :rotfl:

Slipknot
04-08-2006, 06:38 PM
TFHTF?
more like TFDTF :gu:

Sea Dangles
04-08-2006, 06:58 PM
I don't think the forums should enter as a club, at first I did but after giving it some thought I think the traditional clubs are what OTW had in mind. Also I am not going to enter as a club member for msba either since only 10 fish can be entered, I don't want to get involved with any of that since they most likely would want the best fisherman to enter fish and I have to be lucky to catch one 30 or better each year. Seems like it will take alot of decisions to which fish should be entered, if 10 fish get weighed in fairly early in the tourney, then that lessons the chance for the club to win I'd say, so maybe the club will have to figure out how to keep track of club entered fish possible by updating there website or something, I see problems there.
Maybe I'll join just to go to the party afterwards:gu:
Slip,I think it's the combined weight of the top 10 fish.If that's the case,you have as good a chance as anyone else.Also you would have the ability to stay current with the smallest of the 10 to aid in your decision of whether to keep the fish in question.

NIB
04-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Slip,I think it's the combined weight of the top 10 fish.If that's the case,you have as good a chance as anyone else.Also you would have the ability to stay current with the smallest of the 10 to aid in your decision of whether to keep the fish in question.

I was checkin out the old trophy at the mass show.the numbers on there where way up there for ten fish. 547 comes to mind there was a 600 number if I remember right.
Slips a great fisherman.As a club of one he might not win.From the surf last yr i would guess the top ten for our club was low 400's.Thats not alot I so i hope my point doesn't come across in "typical" NJ fashion.From a boat it'll take over 500 to win.What do u think it'll take from the surf to win.2 yrs ago in NJ i had 160 lbs for 5 fish.I also had a 36 in the canal that would have added 8 lbs to that total.5 40's would be 200 lbs.I would tip my hat to that.

Sea Dangles
04-08-2006, 08:50 PM
I think there would have to be a lot of good fortune to average over 40# for the top 10 from surf.From a boat,it's a different story and could conceivably happen in one night.With the captain handing out cows to clubmates to get weighed in.I'll be happy to qualify for a pin with the tournament ending so early.That's fishing,you never know.

Canalman
04-08-2006, 09:22 PM
HEY I have an idea....

Lets quit bitching and let OTW decide.

You guys :hs:

NIB
04-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Who's bitchin.?

Backbeach Jake
04-09-2006, 07:47 AM
I'm learning a hell of a lot here, there's a ton of fine and very fine points that I would never have considered. I've never entered a striper derby, so I'm totally lost,:confused: but I'm catching on . Thanks.

Sea Dangles
04-09-2006, 08:31 AM
HEY I have an idea....

Lets quit bitching and let OTW decide.

You guys :hs:
Is that your idea of a discussion?

Flaptail
04-09-2006, 09:05 AM
John, obviously in a free and open envoronment such as this there will always those who know better, think they know better or think your not so smart as they. In that event, knowing the REAL truth on this and that unlike like Mr. SEA dANGLES and others who are purely speculating and using annecdotal info to post thier "personal" impressions on what OTW thinks or does not think constitutes a "club", in this the 21st century, the year of our Lord 2006 as opposed to 1949 and with the advent of the technological breakthroughs that have made this site a reality, OTW does in fact regognize Striped-Bass.com as a "club" and it has been stated to me personally by the management there and when I was signing on to the contest was asked point blank "why aren't you and the S-B.COM gang signing on as a club"? You have a regitered membership, you have events (TCTFF and Plugfest).

So there it is to all the know it alls, pundits and gurus. Yes you can enter as club according to OTW.

Now John, if you decide the effort and aggravation and BS is not worth it I understand and you are always welcome to join as an individual and come up to the Cape and fish with me, BigFish, Stiffy and a couple others anytime.

That is all, fire at will.:uhuh:

JohnR
04-09-2006, 09:18 AM
"OTW does in fact regognize Striped-Bass.com as a "club" and it has been stated to me personally by the management there and when I was signing on to the contest was asked point blank "why aren't you and the S-B.COM gang signing on as a club"? You have a regitered membership, you have events (TCTFF and Plugfest).
Thanks for some clarification :btu: . I have an email that I'm going to get out to CM probably tomorrow to answer a couple fundamental questions (not a nastygram :whackin: ). As for whether S-B fields, that's up to the members (pretty evenly split so far)

come up to the Cape and fish with me, BigFish, Stiffy and a couple others anytime.
And you all down to 'Lil Rhody :btu:

Slipknot
04-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Flap, thanks for clearing that up so we don't have to guess or speculate. That's the first I heard that, so now we know.

where's the trout at? I'm coming now

NIB
04-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Ya Steve,
Thanks for unravalling the Untruths of MR.Seadangles. for me.
I especially dislike speculatey post's an annecdotly info.
:tm:

Canalman
04-09-2006, 09:53 AM
NIB

I guess bitching may not have been the perfect word... :) but you know what I mean

SeaD,,,
As I see it there is no "discussion" we're just blowing wind here... we CAN'T come up with the right outcome because the only people who can make that decision are the people from OTW. GET IT? I like you a lot on person but online, it's like you get your beer balls on.... relax a bit and remember this is about fun... for all of us, and it's not about you. ;)

-Dave

NIB
04-09-2006, 10:10 AM
GET IT? I like you a lot on person but, I like balls.... relax a bit and remember this is about fun... )

-Dave

:err:

Canalman
04-09-2006, 10:16 AM
:biglaugh: :rotf2: :rotf2:

spence
04-09-2006, 10:24 AM
To be honest, now that I know...I can tell.

-spence

Sea Dangles
04-09-2006, 10:26 AM
I'm having fun:pop:

Canalman
04-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Now before this gets out of hand and blows up into a huge battle about either this tournament or whether or not I love balls :yak:

What I really mean by what I've said here is that the question asked in this thread is not about whether or not we are a club it's about whether we (as a group or club or daycare :laughs: ) agree with the new rules and if we would like to field a team IF OTW will consider us as a team. The latter half of that cannot be decided by us. In my mind we are a club... probably the biggest in the NE? But would anything really change if John asked for dues or if we had regular meetings??? No... I don't think so, obviously not everyone would come to the meetings but does everyone come to the meetings of other "clubs" I doubt it.... so basically what sets us apart from other clubs is money..... I'd pay dues to be a part of this site.... but I'm glad I don;t have to. This site is, as John said "a new generation of fishing club and I don't see any reason why we should be excluded... my opinion... but if OTW should decide otherwise... then so be it. So lets get back on track here....

Should we field a team or not?

SeaDangles.... lets go on that bass stand tour I think we're both better off in person :musc: :p

Canalman
04-09-2006, 10:30 AM
To be honest, now that I know...I can tell.

-spence

Sometimes you just have to let things out in the open y'know, I do feel a little naked out here in cyberspace all by myself.... you got any secrets to tell Jeff?? :boots: :scream: :laughs:

NIB
04-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Now before this gets out of hand I love balls

SeaDangles.... lets go on that ass tour I think we're both better off in person :musc: :p

:rotf2:

Sea Dangles
04-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Yes NIB,you are invited too:rocketem:

NIB
04-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Fabulous.:as:

spence
04-09-2006, 10:48 AM
I'd suggest you guys go on Oprah, but she's already done an expose on the down low :hee:

-spence

Canalman
04-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Yikes!:whackin:

Unfortunately I have to go... can't wait to see where THIS goes....

Have fun with that one NIB...

-Dave

Canalman
04-09-2006, 10:49 AM
I'd suggest you guys go on Oprah, but she's already done an expose on the down low :hee:

-spence

OH if we're going your coming too :happy:

NIB
04-09-2006, 10:51 AM

-spence
Thought about callin The Big O for some large dress info.
Not that I think I'll need one.

Canalman
04-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Coming soon to a theatre near you...

Brokeback Bass Stand....

A touching story of a down home Jersey boy (played by the mysterious NIB), a RI mid west transplant who just can's stay off his box... soap box that is (played by the jetty fashionista Jeff Spencer) and the tough guy gone bad who loves to use his pole on the rocks (played by SeaDangles [the name says it all]). These 3 men take to stones in a slippery tale of tough love and tossing eels. The story takes an unforseen turn as they try to rope Canalman (don't forget the "c") into their weedy games. Starts friday at a west wall theatre near you.

:hang:

Squid kids Dad
04-09-2006, 11:38 AM
The hell with Oprah..I think Dr. Phil would be more in line...:rotf2:

stiff tip
04-09-2006, 02:11 PM
whooow ,,,i,ve been off trout fishin back in the old country of woostar ,\.. i c some changes in the game .. i told you that otw was paying attention to everones bitchs and need ......right ??? i hope it satisfies most ...like i said in the begaining,,,give them a little time ,its the first year and there is still alot of ruff edges.to smooth out ....remember the turny is for us fisherman to enjoy the striped bass fishing ...it started as a good intent ..give it a chance .....thats the last i,ll coment on the otw cup derby i,ts rules + regs.......dave p.s. NOT........

spence
04-09-2006, 03:34 PM
So a person joins S-B.com with a screen name of "STIFF TIP" then acts suprised when he finds out it's a gay surfcasting themed site?

:rotf2:

-spence

seabass
04-09-2006, 05:04 PM
only for some Spence, the rest of us look at it as a anti-marriage pro malebonding thing, sexual prefrence is in the mind of the poster.:jump1:

Sea Dangles
04-09-2006, 07:57 PM
NIB

SeaD,,,
As I see it ,it's not about you. ;)

-Dave
It's always about me.

spence
04-09-2006, 08:31 PM
only for some Spence, the rest of us look at it as a anti-marriage pro malebonding thing, sexual prefrence is in the mind of the poster.:jump1:
You have a lesbian sister don't you :hee:

-spence

JohnR
04-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Any other comments?

Canalman
04-10-2006, 01:58 PM
:rotf2: :rotf2:

Yea so much for staying on track...

spence
04-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Yea, that was pretty rude :smash:

-spence

Canalman
04-10-2006, 04:00 PM
you liked it :doh:

spence
04-10-2006, 04:07 PM
YOU STARTED IT!

-spence

Canalman
04-10-2006, 04:43 PM
Oh no... NIB started it :spidey:

vineyardblues
04-10-2006, 04:48 PM
I already put my name down for the mass bass,
My only issue is that it ends way to soon sept 17 or what ever it is?
As for fishing for Striped-bass ,,,,yes I would , maybe next year or we should start our own contest with a trophy that I brought up before.
VB

JohnR
04-17-2006, 06:51 AM
Last Call....

Saltheart
04-18-2006, 04:36 PM
I already voted

I think it would be good to enter some names into the tourney. Several reasons.
1) We would establish S-b as a club in this huge tournament. I think thats good for potential other tourneys we've had interest in the past but took bull for not being a traditional club.

2) It would be a great get together for the S-B bunch at the big party they have at the end.

3) We get advertising for the site every time S-B gets mentioned on a results board. New Members are good (for the most part :) ) .

4) Good faith guesture towards OTW after we made the huge stink about the rules.

5) Get to meet people in other clubs and individuals at the big Party.

6) We got some good fisherman here. Maybe someone will win something good!!??

7) I like Harpoon IPA. I want to go to the Harpoon Party!! :)

tattoobob
04-18-2006, 04:55 PM
I say do it, :kewl:

JohnR
04-21-2006, 10:12 AM
Any last requests? I will support it if that is what most of you want to do...

I think OTW made some significant changes for the better with this tournament...

Notaro
04-26-2006, 08:21 PM
is it going to be a boat or surf team?

Slipknot
05-09-2006, 08:24 AM
John, what's the deal with this? Are you going to register the site?
I hope you do soon as some of us would like to enter and put the site down as our club. Call 1-508-548-4705 x200 and ask to register S-B.com and he will help you out. I think it would be great to be able to compete for the cup.
I asked about the difference between registering as an individual or affiliated with a club, and as a club member you still qualify for all the individual prizes, you get the bonus of being able to help your club win the Cup.

let us know soon as possible

Mr. Sandman
05-10-2006, 03:41 PM
I didn't want to enter but figured that if I didn't I would get a 60 for sure. So this entry pretty much assures me that I will not get a 60 this season. Now I don't have to "worry" about this all season.:sick: I did it for the peace of mind.:confused:

I joined as an indv. Got the shirt and pin....nice pin!
See you at the beer bash....Harpoon:drool: one of my favorites.