View Full Version : Food for thought

Labrador1
04-08-2006, 02:01 PM
I have been thinking a lot about safety issues lately - between fumes, chemicals, wood dust, machines etc. plug building can have its dangers. One change I recently made and thought I would throw it out there for others to consider, is that I stopped using lead for weights. I started thinking about the fact that I have two little girls at home - and they occasionally visit the shop - or that I might have lead on my hands or clothes when I go home at the end of the day - and decided to find alternatives. I'm not an expert with respect to molds etc - but there are a number of products that can be melted and poured without the health risks of lead. I have a guy who pours mine for me - and I'm not exactly sure what the stuff is, but basically it weighs aprox 2/3 what lead does. Seemed to me like a pretty small trade off - No more fear of toxic dust or fumes around my kids or myself - and all that I had to do was drill a slightly larger hole for my weights. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Ryan

Backbeach Jake
04-08-2006, 04:36 PM
You're correct, Ryan. It would be a tragedy if our fun hobby wound up hurting us or someone we love. It's best to be aware of our materials' hazards. We've discussed the Minwax WoodHardener and it's effects. As well as Paint fumes. ( BOTH waterbased latex acrylics and hydrocarbon based spray cans. Be informed and be safe. Thanks for bringing this Safety subject up again Ryan, we can't consider it enough.

BigFish
04-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Is it bismuth tin Ryan? (Spelling may be incorrect):)

Labrador1
04-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Larry - there are a number of different options. I think the major component in what i use is tin - but there are some with silver, bismuth etc. Just seemed like a pretty simple way for me to use one less toxic substance.

BigFish
04-09-2006, 01:57 PM
I hear you there...been thinking about that myself lately.

Diamond Tackle
04-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Ryan,
I hear what you are saying & Not to say that you are overreacting, BUT
As a kid, and not knowing any better, I chewed on many LEAD split shots every time I went trout fishing, never had a problem(knock on wood). Oh,I almost forgot about the Lead pencils we chewed on in school, and you know what? the gasoline and the paint had lead in it too,but somehow we survived it all.

Common sense safety precautions go a long way. Use gloves whenever handling lead, do NOT melt the stuff on your kitchen stove,you need proper ventilation equipment, dont eat, smoke,drink,wipe your eyes,mouth, nose etc if there is lead residue on your fingers. I guess its just second nature with me now. You have to respect PB,just as you have to respect tools for example, like a sawblade that runs at 10,000RPM and can rip your finger,hand or arm clean off with just ONE mistake.
With lead its cumulative, if you were to do something foolish , your next blood test WILL show it.
go to DOITMOLDS website for some really good safety Tips & recommendations. and yes, leave the lead casting to the experts if you feel strongly enough about it.
you are correct, Bismuth is a good harmless metal alloy for weights, but I would not throw away my lead sinkers just yet esp if you are bottom fishing, it could get pricey real fast.

just MY .02

ps
Strictest state is Ca.
this is the required labeling of all products containing ANY lead
PROP 65 WARNING: This product contains lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.

Labrador1
04-09-2006, 03:40 PM
John - I don't disagree with anything you said - and I too used to carry lead splitshot in my mouth - still find myself doing it sometimes just out of habit. I have often thought that the "anti lead" craze may be a bit of an overreaction. The only thing that got me really thinking about it was when my 3 year old started visiting the shop. I really don't know if there was any threat to her - but decided to go another route so that I no longer had to worry about it. It is just nice now when she visits I don't have to remember to wash my hands before giving her a hug. If you are careful with lead - and use the precautions you suggested - I'm sure it can be pleanty safe to use.

ed morini
04-09-2006, 04:02 PM
I think you have to think safely about anything you use. Some of the paints I spray are water based but the ammonia dyers can give you a real headache. Although it takes quite a while for lead to build up in an adult to dangerous levels ,any time you melt (smelt) metals the fumes can be harmful. Some wood resins are harmful also. I have been woodworking since 1968 and have had no ill effects (I am knocking on wood now) but have always tried to make sure resonable safety precautions were made. I do unfortunately know of others that have not fared as well.

Diamond Tackle
04-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Were on the same page Ryan, I know what you mean, I have a little nephew(Norbs),& no way im touching him with lead dust on my finger tips.
I thought I once read that indoor gun ranges were a very hazardous environment if lead bullets are stopped by one of those steel plates.
Not sure if it was accurate info,but it sounds right, if you make lead dust airborne,im sure it can be inhaled.

Striperknight
04-09-2006, 05:33 PM
John - I don't disagree with anything you said - and I too used to carry lead splitshot in my mouth - still find myself doing it sometimes just out of habit. I have often thought that the "anti lead" craze may be a bit of an overreaction. The only thing that got me really thinking about it was when my 3 year old started visiting the shop. I really don't know if there was any threat to her - but decided to go another route so that I no longer had to worry about it. It is just nice now when she visits I don't have to remember to wash my hands before giving her a hug. If you are careful with lead - and use the precautions you suggested - I'm sure it can be pleanty safe to use.

How do you protect your 3 year old from the Cedar dust that gets
on everything? Another hidden danger in our shops.

Labrador1
04-09-2006, 06:59 PM
SK- you are certainly right about that too. Fortunately the area my daughter visits me in is fairly well sealed off to the area of my shop where my tools sit. It is a seperate room with an exterior door between the dusty area and the paint/assembly area. There are many issues like this when it comes to plug building. I was only pointing out the weight/lead issue because I was able to take one of the hazzards off my list.