View Full Version : Need Bilge Pump ?

Sgt_Nutz
04-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Powered up the boat this weekend: changed plugs, changed fuel filter, installed the batterey, tested everything and all working; lites, horn, wash down ect... but no bilge pump. Which reminded me that when I took the plug out at the end of last season there seemed to be more water than should have been in the bilges. Pump is a cartridge type(under a little 8" hatch!!!:af: ) and did have a little debri in it but the motor seemed to have seized. Gave it a couple turns and it spun back up and appears to work fine.
My question is should I replace it or should it keep working if I clean out any debri periodically? Ordinarily I would just replace it but the wire leads disappear under the deck to a connection that may be unreachable.

beamie
04-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Many times after the long winter and a motor not running for 5 months they tend to stick when first repowering. Once they have been going for a while it should be fine. Of course if it is just a little small $20-30 pump it may be piece of mind to change it if it is going to worry you. Buy a spare and stick it in the garage so if it does fail you don't have to go shopping for it. Is it your only pump?

likwid
04-10-2006, 08:26 AM
replace the wires and pump and leave a loop thats tierap'd just under by the inspection plate.

it'll make working on it and replacing it that much easier next time.

the wires probably run all the way back to the panel... just run a messenger behind them to replace it all.

Sgt_Nutz
04-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Dont mind buying a new one it's just the thought of snaking all new wires back to the panel or splicing into the ones at the pump under a small round hatch. And the thought of nicking another wire out of sight..........:behead:

Yes, its the only one beamie. Manual pump is on the list..........

Thanks for the input.

likwid
04-10-2006, 09:04 AM
But if you run heavy gauge good quality marine wire then you won't have to deal with it again. :D

beamie
04-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Sgt,

I the wiring looks like decent quality with no extra connections between pump and panel there is no reason to replace good wiring. No you don't "have" to use "marine" wiring either. That just adds another 50cents a foot on the job. Good quailty cooper control wire is fine.. Most important is when you butt connect fittings...and the pump you have is most likely butt connected in... shrink tube over the connections with good tubing that has sealing adhesive inside, it won't fail. And like Likwid said leave a loop, in the industry this is called a "service loop", most "professional" places fail to do this leaving the repair much harder.

Oh, and yes it is a good idea tl have to manual pump too just in case.

MakoMike
04-10-2006, 10:51 AM
If you decide to not replace it, buy a spare and keep it on the boat, not in your garage. A new pump won't do you much good if youe need it and you're on the water while the pump is in the garage!

beamie
04-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Probably best to wire in a second bilge pump for peace of mind.

....Nor does the spare do any good on the boat when you wake up in the morning and go down to the boat and it is under water.

likwid
04-10-2006, 11:06 AM
beamie, i dunno bout you but i'd rather run anything like that with high quality tinned wire.

beamie
04-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Agreed Likwid,

My point being it doesn't have to say "Marine" this and "Marine" on it.

likwid
04-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Agreed Likwid,

My point being it doesn't have to say "Marine" this and "Marine" on it.

Well, more like "marine grade" which is tinned. :D
Same difference.

beamie
04-10-2006, 11:47 AM
You got it.

I just hate when I see too many people falling into the game of paying way too much for things because they say "marine". Like for this subject of wiring...if you went to say West Marine or your local Marina store to the wiring rack you'll have sticker shock on the tinned wire. When if you were doing a large job and needed allot of tinned copper you could get it much cheaper at an electric supply place without the word marine but the same product.

Like people with say a Toyota that go to the dealer to buy a OEM toyota headlamp for $20 instead of going to NAPA and getting it for $6.

I think you know that's what I'm trying to say...........

Back to Sarg Nuts job.

Personally, on my boat I have 2 pumps and tend to change them out after about 5 years before they fail. For the money they do allot of work that is expected. Presently I have the ones that are pump and switch in one unit. Not the computerized ones that go on every 3 minutes automatically I hated those, but the ones with and interal float. But still sometimes they hang up too.

likwid
04-10-2006, 11:52 AM
pssst: "mercury" and "volvo" parts can be had at napa for 1/4 the cost.

;)

ScottC
04-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Well, more like "marine grade" which is tinned. :D
Same difference.

I am with you, get some decent qualtity tinned 12-2 or 14-2 (depending on load) and call it a day, and seeing I have wired a couple hundred boats, I can say I have been there done that:btu:

If what you have was put there from the factory and your boat is fairly new it will have to be tinned anyway of they complied with ABYC standards or NMEA if really new.

Yes you will probably get raped walking into a west marine so find a friend who works at a service yard and pay half of that.