View Full Version : new fishfinder advice

kynan
04-16-2002, 08:41 PM
Hi guys,

Haven't posted since last year. Need a new fishfinder for my 21 striper w/a cuddy.

Pulled off the existing Lowrance system. Won't shut off. Is it even worth keeping this around as a secondary device?

Anway, I'm trying to digest the differences between a $100 fish finder and a $350 one.

What it seems like I'm down to is :

Garmin Blue 160 or 240...240 is real nice on the shelf, but it's $350

Then there's the raytheon 3265 (I think) for 199 -or-

Eagle, Silver 600 or something like that....Boater's world special, they say it;s worth 360, and they're selling it for 199.

Bottom line, I just need to know if the better units really influence catching more fish. I bottom dunk frequently to keep my kids entertained.

New to boating, only in the past year.

Any help is appreciated!!

Scotch Bonnet
04-16-2002, 09:00 PM
I'm also in the market for a new fish finder. I think I'm going with the Garmin blue 160. I would go with the 240 but I'm running low on funds outfitting this new boat. Its just a matter of more pixels(160x160 or 240x240). When you have fish like striped bass that love to hug the bottom, more pixals means more detail between the fish and the bottom. If funds are limited(like mine), the 160 should be fine. If you can afford the more expensive unit - go for it.