View Full Version : Hook Question

Skitterpop
04-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Mustad makes a heavy wire nickel plated bait hook and a friend sent me a pile of different sizes and a few bronze

How are the nickel plated ones for the salt? Planning on rigging some Nebe Surf Hogs, Asylum eels, Slug-Gos, Ultimus eels, and maybe a few live eels if they turn out ok.

Thanks for any first hand knowledge / replies

Mike

NIB
04-12-2006, 06:14 AM
2 heavy wire Mustad hooks u can use for the rubber riggin are #9175 tinned or 9174 bronze an 94150 bronzed only.I would guess u have the 9175 series it's a short shank O'shaughnessy or all purpose hook.It's just like the 94150 but a little shorter.It's a excellent hook u won't bend on a striper.U got to sharpen em up tho.I use a bastard file.The tinned ones will have a lot of material to remove to sharpen em.Some like to use the bronzed ones so they will rust out quickly if left in a striper.I prefer the tinned they will also rust out but not as quickly.Its the hook we always used for riggin eels or live lining bunker. before the Gami's came about.they are cheap In bronze 7/0 should go around 10.00-12.00 for a hundred so they are a use an disguard hook.I would probably go 7/0 in the rear an 8/0 in the front.

Skitterpop
04-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Duh me.... I should have included the hook model #

These are L318MG Lazers 3X strong nickel plated and the bronze are L118MG 3X .... not as heavy wire as the 10827BLNs but they look pretty sturdy just the same. Wonder how much difference between 3X and 4X would effect performance if bass are played well.

Hoping they won`t crap out on a biggun.

Nebe
04-12-2006, 08:20 AM
a hook is a hook.. if they are sharp, and they appear to be strong, go for it. As a rule, i like to be able to slide my pinkie finger between the point of the hook and the bait- if you can do that you should be fine.

piemma
04-12-2006, 08:39 AM
As Tony said 9174 and 94150

Skitterpop
04-12-2006, 09:59 AM
found pricing on these and they are more than double the cost of the 9174s.

I already have these 318MGs so I`m thinking they`ll be fine... incredible deal on them to :bl: Less than 1/4 current cost.

Thanks for replies!

NIB
04-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Duh me.... I should have included the hook model #

These are L318MG Lazers 3X strong nickel plated and the bronze are L118MG 3X .... not as heavy wire as the 10827BLNs but they look pretty sturdy just the same. Wonder how much difference between 3X and 4X would effect performance if bass are played well.

Hoping they won`t crap out on a biggun.

I think the lazer hooks are eagle claws.not sure about them.I would be carefull of the lighter wire models.I like the mustad ultra points #'s 10827bln.Eben says hooks are hooks.But I know he don't really mean that. I know he uses an appreciates good strong quality hooks.Yes there are many different makers.Just be sure to use a good strong hook.I will not loose a good fish to a hook.Why take the chance.

Skitterpop
04-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Triple duh for me NIB :tooth:

They are Eagle Claws..... did a two pliers twist strength test and these will be fine....had Mustads on my mine....too many hooks floating around here in my jungle :uhoh:

Nebe
04-13-2006, 07:28 AM
The hooks i am waiting for are the eagle claw live bait HD. I forget the model # but they are identicle to the gamagatsu and owner live bait hooks. I wouldnt hesitate to use them in the slightest. Some eagle claw hooks arent that great, but the lazer sharp hooks are the best bang for the buck out there IMO.. strong, sharp, and affordable.

Now if only my hooks would show up :bsod:

Skitterpop
04-13-2006, 08:06 AM
For you viewing and fishing and testing pleasure:

I guts s`more for ya ...will ship when they arrive

Mikey