View Full Version : Launch ramp on John Reed Road in Wesport Mass

ScottC
04-14-2006, 11:05 PM
Anyone ever launch there? I have always splashed in portsmouth RI , but this year I want to get up next to the Cuttyhunk area quick without burning 50 grand in gas hahaha. Just wondering what to expect, I plan on checking it out this weekend but I figures I would ask here. Any insite would be appreciated.

GBOUTDOORS
04-15-2006, 06:56 AM
SC that ramp sucks the river has no fish and Cuttyhunk sank this winter so no need to come this way at all!!!!!!!! The ramp is one of the best in the area but on weekends be there early to get parking. Also be sure to get a sticker or put money in the box or they WILL ticket you. The ride out of the river is long and slow but it puts you 15 minutes from Cuttyhunk and 15 minutes from Newport .Just be VERY carefull on days that the swells are up off shore from a storm as the mouth of the river can be bad at mid. to low tide if the swells are up. I have gone out just to turn around and go back as the mouth was so bad. I have seen guys take stupid chances there to go out and pay for it in a swamped boat or worse. On those days I go back to Fairhaven and launch just fine and go straight to Robbinsons to fish.

Good luck and good fishing!!

chipwood
04-15-2006, 09:58 AM
15 minutes from Newport. What do you have a cigarrette boat? It takes us 15 minutes to get to Castle Hill from Bend Boat with a 250.

ScottC
04-15-2006, 10:44 AM
SC that ramp sucks the river has no fish and Cuttyhunk sank this winter so no need to come this way at all!!!!!!!! The ramp is one of the best in the area but on weekends be there early to get parking. Also be sure to get a sticker or put money in the box or they WILL ticket you. The ride out of the river is long and slow but it puts you 15 minutes from Cuttyhunk and 15 minutes from Newport .Just be VERY carefull on days that the swells are up off shore from a storm as the mouth of the river can be bad at mid. to low tide if the swells are up. I have gone out just to turn around and go back as the mouth was so bad. I have seen guys take stupid chances there to go out and pay for it in a swamped boat or worse. On those days I go back to Fairhaven and launch just fine and go straight to Robbinsons to fish.

Good luck and good fishing!!

Yeah I have fished Cuttyhunk and Newport for about 20 years or so, I just always used to come up the river, now I want to cut the ride down a bit. And your dead right about the swellls, been there done that. I usually just stay i n the river if it looks bad out there.
Thanks for the info, where do I get a sticker?

GBOUTDOORS
04-16-2006, 06:16 AM
SC you can pick one up at the town hall or call the town hall and give them the info they need and send them a check. They will in turn mail you a sticker. Was $30.00 last year for the season. Its $5.00 or $8.00 at the ramp so if you plan to use it 5-6 times I would get the sticker.

ScottC
04-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Thank you very much, I doubt I will go up there very much, I am sure the regulars would hate to have yet another guy taking up one of there parking spaces, and I understand that totally. I might try it a couple times, maybe during the week.

Clammer
04-16-2006, 09:57 AM
A/O COPS :poke:

GBOUTDOORS
04-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Chipwood I ment it takes 15 from the mouth to out front were I fish its 9 miles I do 35 mph you do the math 15 + minutes I did not meen to Newport proper. Clammer I saw the ramp cop the other day he asked for you he needs a new pair of shoes $$$.:hihi: Scott I fish out of there mostly at night or during the week as the weekend crowd is BAD. It can take over an hour to launch or come in at the ramp due to weekenditess and MR and MRS clueless:fishslap: