View Full Version : Ads By Google????

BigFish
04-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Anyone else got this on the right side of their screen???? Also....how do I get rid of it???? Its pissing me off!:splat:

JohnR
04-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Anyone else got this on the right side of their screen???? Also....how do I get rid of it???? Its pissing me off!:splat:

There is a suprise, something pissing YOU off :crying::rotf3:

Look at it this way - it might help pay for some of that bandwidth you've killed over time :gu:

BigFish
04-14-2006, 11:51 PM
You know me John...not very good with the computer! I was not sure if it was some type of pop-up or if you put it there. Sorry.;)

NIB
04-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Click on a ad.:D

basswipe
04-15-2006, 06:51 AM
Anything to keep the store open isn't all that bad!

Hey at least all the ads are fishing related.I've been eyeballin that Fish Costa Rica ad.Someday I just might click on it.:hee:

NIB
04-15-2006, 07:15 AM
Clicking on a ad means revenue.At least thats the way it has worked in other places.

likwid
04-15-2006, 07:26 AM

John could start charging for use of the site.
I'll take the google ads. :D

Skitterpop
04-15-2006, 07:46 AM
Hey Big Fish.... I was wondering the same thing....thought something was wrong.

Google has gotten huge and its a good way to assist you to run this great site but.... John R...........
is there anyway that you can put those elsewhere....where they are is emotionally disturbing :hihi:

oh.... and not where the sun does`nt shine for me....preemptive defense :hee:

afterhours
04-15-2006, 07:54 AM
revenue is a good thing for the site. i was thinking the same thing mike, maybe on the top or bottom. big distraction on the side.

Sea Dangles
04-15-2006, 07:58 AM
I'm sure John is already working on a different way to format this and I have faith in him.

shadow
04-15-2006, 07:58 AM
I think it will take alittle time to get used to but after awhile I wont even notice them.If it helps keep the site free go for it.

ThrowingTimber
04-15-2006, 08:41 AM
bigfish thinks the bandwidth for his dumb 10,000 posts dont cost any jing....

John, good call on the ads as long as they're fishing related I dont see a problem.

Now about those meta tags.......

Joe
04-15-2006, 08:58 AM
The lake guides from TX and OK are wasting their ad money.

Redsoxticket
04-15-2006, 09:08 AM
I'm getting a kink in my neck.
The bottom near the toolbar and rotate them when the quantity of sponsors exceed the sreen width.
Now, where are my heatwraps.

tynan19
04-15-2006, 09:28 AM
Gotta keep the lights on.

JohnR
04-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Click on something if it interests you but don't click just to click because that doesn't help.

I want to see how it does. Yes I do hope to improve the positioning of the adds.

It may seem a little annoying at first but it will get better as time passes.

It is important to consider that here at S-B we need to have several different "revenue streams" a/k/a "coinage" to keep the lights on. We have great sponsors, we have purdy cool site fundraisers, and the odd donation. But after paying the bills and factoring my considerable weekly time in and stress (it would be far less stressful to ask if someone needs salt and ketchup then to get between a couple annonymous Internet chest beaters each claiming their rod is bigger than the other's :hihi: :fishslap:)
there is not too much left around...

Grins and giggles I asked a couple dozen people what they thought the site makes as a second job last year and many suggested I probably make between 20-40K a year :hihi: - I wish (as does my wife :rtfm:)... Lose a zero off those numbers...

So I could do what others do, ffffflllllooooddddd the site with popups and blinking banners and sign every person that e-mails me with promises of advertising dough (we don't) , or like others create an online tackle shop and squash all conversation that might contradict the tackle sales (we don't and in fact turn down 4-10 advertisers per month), or do what Likwid says and charge for the site...

But I do need to get extra coin in for the amount of work that goes out and I do want to be able to so something for those help run the site - the moderators for example...

So this add box on the right is one method that supports the site...

BigFish
04-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Sorry I brought it up...I just thought it was another annnoying pop-up ad!:hee:

JohnR
04-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Sorry I brought it up...I just thought it was another annnoying pop-up ad!:hee:

No problem - I figured someone would and you would have just as great chance as any :hihi:

NIB
04-15-2006, 04:06 PM
I wanna be a paid moderator.
:tm:

Raven
04-16-2006, 06:02 AM
...I just thought it was another annnoying pop-up ad!:hee: (and he hates those :uhuh: )

boom shaka-laka boom.... :grins:

bigfish ....i thought the exact same thing......i thought maybe it was due to downloading something yesterday ->myself...

as long as it "isn't" a blinking add.... those annoy me to no end...
sometimes i take a piece of paper with scotch tape to block part of my 21 inch monitor so i don't have to see the friggan blinkin crap...

BUT, if it supports the site...i'll click them often just to do that...
and if John makes more money from S-B then he'll be more
inclined to work on the site instead of the SS minow in the yard.:rotf2:

Jenn
04-16-2006, 08:31 AM
CRAP! to be honest with you I must still be half asleep or its not that bad because I didnt really notice it until someone mentioned it!

lurch
04-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Nothing in life is free...I would rather pay a fee than see ads!

F ADS AND GOOGLE!!

Sorry.

piemma
04-17-2006, 10:46 AM
John, good call on the ads as long as they're fishing related I dont see a problem.

Now about those meta tags.......[/QUOTE]
Now supported by only one major crawler-based search engine -- Inktomi -- the value of adding meta keywords tags to pages seems little worth the time. ..., the meta keywords tag is dead, dead, dead.

MakoMike
04-17-2006, 12:10 PM
Maybe we could get one of my ads up there? :)