View Full Version : The Marathon????

BigFish
04-16-2006, 06:38 AM
Who else thinks the Boston Marathon has lost its luster since they added big prize incentives??? Ever since the damn thing has been won by a Kenyan and has been nothing but a who's who of the running world......it has lost the flavor that once made it great and I for one no longer care for it!!!!:huh:

toddonbi
04-16-2006, 07:30 AM
You're right and I bet another Kenyan wins it again.

Slipknot
04-16-2006, 07:44 AM
yep, the best part of it now is the special intrest stories of the people who run,walk,wheel it that have overcome some kind of extreme adversity.Good for them I say.

BigFish
04-16-2006, 08:42 AM
I agree Slip...seems as though it used to be more for the everyman/woman....not anymore!:hs:

BigFish
04-16-2006, 08:53 AM
There used to be such diversity as far as who might win...but now....its almost always a Kenyan and it was pretty worn out about 8 years ago!

Where oh where is Rosie Ruiz?:laugha:

afterhours
04-16-2006, 09:02 AM
rosies' checking out the bus schedules....

Kadywampus
04-16-2006, 09:03 AM
There used to be such diversity as far as who might win...but now....its almost always a Kenyan and it was pretty worn out about 8 years ago!

Where oh where is Rosie Ruiz?:laugha:

Riding on the MTA?:rotf3:

Raider Ronnie
04-16-2006, 09:30 AM
Don't forget Uta Pipi, or was is Pupu Pipi !!!

Raven
04-16-2006, 10:40 AM
it's one day i won't even go near hopkinton or framingham...
i take the day off....it's a friggan joke trying to get around....
the stupid boston marathon.....
some of the runners even take a crap

right in the middle of the road :yak:

they should be running for a cause!
like for: kids with cancer ...

i could care less if some dehydrated giraffe wins it.:doh:

Hooper
05-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Wow, I'm sorry I missed this thread.

Running used to be huge in the 1970's, the Bill Rogers and Frank Shorter era had everyone running, young and old. Now, Americans are spending billions on overnight get thin pills and exercising, particularly running is at an all time low. Doubt that? Look at the how many people are dying of diabetes, heart disease, etc, every year. American athletes used to dominate at almost every distance and at the very least were extremely competitive. We haven't see another Steve Prefontaine since his tragic death at age 24. We might never see another, who knows. So, answer me this....

Why has the Boston Marathon or running in general gone down the crapper because of the prize money? Couldn't one say the same for all the professional sports? C'mon, let's all play baseball for the love of the game! Please! get real? I for one love the fact that big money brings in big talent, wherever it comes from. Human achievement is a spectacular thing! And let's be real now, if a marathoner is going to challenge for the Boston Marathon, or the world's record, it is going to take a huge commitment of TIME. And of course, time is money. How many of us could dedicate years of our lives to train for something simply for the sheer joy of it?

As in all big time sports, money is the motivator, period. Why should the marathon be any different?

And, very few of the runner in the Boston Marathon are considered elite. The huge majority, 97% or more, are your average Joe's, many of whom are raising money for some great charities.