View Full Version : There Be Whales Here!

Backbeach Jake
04-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Took my Aunt and a Cousin for a beach ride. Look what we found!

spence
04-17-2006, 12:12 PM
I think your aunt and cousin might be a little offended at you referring to them in that manner :hs: :)

But those rocks in the water are shallow enough they would make for a nice casting perch :btu:

Seriously, how far out? That beach must drop off pretty quickly.

-spence

Backbeach Jake
04-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Ya know, I was afraid that I'd use the wrong syntax. Those leviathons are within easy casting distance from where the girls are standing. Never seen them that close before. Yesterday there was one even closer grubbing the bottom with his stern high out of the water. Amazing! Today, I bet we saw 30-40 of them.

MakoMike
04-17-2006, 01:58 PM
Very cool! what kind were they? Look too small to be fin backs.

Skitterpop
04-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Thanks for posting the pic for us to see :eyes:

Must have been inspiring...so close.... how big and what type?

Karl F
04-17-2006, 02:03 PM
Nice Jake!
Envy ya, been sanding trim all day..........got dust?

Backbeach Jake
04-17-2006, 02:05 PM
I can't tell one whale from another. Gotta hit the books when I get home. Hey! I could Google it! Duh.Be right back:wavey:

Backbeach Jake
04-17-2006, 02:19 PM
OK, with the help og www.deh.gov.au, I'll guess that they were humpbacks. V shaped blow, long pectoral fins, lumpy head, and the fluke shape. Last year at that spot, there wasn't that much water. Definately wasn't any fish. Things may have changed....Watta day!

striperjerk1
04-17-2006, 02:52 PM
nice pic. are those the right whales that been around lately, seen it on the news the other day i think.

spence
04-17-2006, 03:07 PM
I'll guess that they were humpbacks.
Just for the fun of it, here are some humpback photos I took in Alaska a few years back. Did I mention these things are about the size of a school bus! :eek: There were about a dozen in this pod bubble net feeding on herring. The depth was about 300 feet.

-spence

Young Salt
04-17-2006, 03:32 PM
break out the heavy tackle :bl:

Clammer
04-17-2006, 03:51 PM
F #$%^&*( AWESOME:claps:

Raven
04-17-2006, 04:46 PM
this one TV show.....where they were recording the whales
under water and then playing back the recording to them to see their reaction in an attempt to communicate....

the whales (KILLER) would investigate but seemed a little disapointed in not finding a whale where they heard it...

but it sure was facinating to see them respond underwater...
i used to watch them from the cliffs out in california...

MAC
04-17-2006, 04:55 PM
Nice picture Fred. My wife and I watched them last year in that same spot.

Nebe
04-17-2006, 05:46 PM
you think they'd hit an eel? :rotf2:

striperman36
04-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Pilot's come in that close!
Where the totally black, not just grayish black?

thefishingfreak
04-17-2006, 06:15 PM
nice shot.. wonder what there doing there? got biat schooled up?

humpbacks are farrigin HUGE!! 8' white pec fins real monsters. tractor trailer size.
pilot whales have a shark like dorsal and look like an oversized dolphin with an orca mouth.
minkie whales have a very small dorsal fin set back and look kinda like a humpback.
http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/whales/species/Minke.shtml

tattoobob
04-17-2006, 08:15 PM
F #$%^&*( AWESOME:claps:

DITTO

gone fishin
04-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Ok - gotta ask -what beach are you on? Last year Race point was awsome just about this time of the year.

Backbeach Jake
04-17-2006, 09:20 PM
Ok - gotta ask -what beach are you on? Last year Race point was awsome just about this time of the year.
Yer right!

tynan19
04-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Wow! Great shots. It must have been a wonderful day.

Katie
04-17-2006, 09:51 PM
thats wicked awsome!

Backbeach Jake
04-17-2006, 09:59 PM
Just for the fun of it, here are some humpback photos I took in Alaska a few years back. Did I mention these things are about the size of a school bus! :eek: There were about a dozen in this pod bubble net feeding on herring. The depth was about 300 feet.

-spence
OMG ,what beautiful photos!

BigFish
04-18-2006, 07:26 AM
Now all the Rhody guys are gonna come up here and start catchin' all our whales!!!!:jester: I can see all the Rhody plates now!

Thar she blows!

Raven
04-18-2006, 08:12 AM
go to JOB lot or trader joes now

to get a whale sized jar of tarter sauce :hihi:

macojoe
04-18-2006, 08:33 AM
On the Cape Radio station, they say there have been about 60 somthing right whales hanging in the area, and have asked all boaters to go slow in the area.

Slipknot
04-23-2006, 05:18 PM
BBJ, I saw them there on Friday as well. Awesome sight! I forgot my camera but my buddy Paul and I spent a good hour watching them feed in the shallows and some further out were really getting their tails high in the air for some large splashes. Sometimes they'd be upsidedown so we got a good look at their flippers on their sides and they did not look like humpbacks even though we thought they were because of the bumpy front mouth areas and the smallish dorsal. Their side flippers seemed very broad and not long like a humpback, also they were black.
25-40 foot long seemed like what they measured in length to me. Maybe some kind of finback or right whale or pilot whale. I bet they were chowing on sandeels. Lots of others were watching them also and taking pics. It was the first time my friend has ever seen a whale. Also the first time he's been on that beach since 1973.

Backbeach Jake
04-24-2006, 05:40 AM
What a great welcome back to RP for your Bud, eh? I've been re-thinking the humpback id, myself. Now I'm just confused. But what a show!

macojoe
04-24-2006, 07:25 AM
99.9 CapeCod reported that there is still a pod of Right Whales in the area and all boat traffic is to be careful.

I am sure this is what you are all seeing. Wish it was me seeing them!

Crow
04-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Could they have Minke whales? We watched a pod of them work the surf off an Outer Cape beach last year. They were in and out of the bars almost within fly rod distance:lasso: . They are about 15- 20 ft and appear black from above.

BedardPhoto
04-26-2006, 05:53 PM
Hi there, We're looking for someone to get my wife and I out to Race Point Light and back on Friday the 28th to get a few photos of the lighthouse. Willing to pay. You can email me directly at jbedard@bedardphoto.com (tonight if possible before 11pm as we're leaving Thursday morning) We just need about 15 minutes at the lighthouse. Thanks! John B.

Skitterpop
04-29-2006, 07:02 AM
As impressive, even bigger by volume, was the exceptional marine mammal show that Nikula witnessed. Northern right whales, among the rarest creatures on the planet with fewer than 300 members, have been putting on a show off North Truro and Provincetown for the past couple of weeks. This would be a great time to take a whale-watching trip to see these animals, as they are engaging in courtship and mating, often not far offshore. Nikula saw a Northern right whale, a minke whale, a fin whale and two humpback whales flipper-slapping - all in a mere 20 minutes from the Race Point parking lot Sunday morning.

Backbeach Jake
04-29-2006, 07:27 AM
Thanks, Mike. I'll keep my guide book with me and my eyes peeled this weekend. I knew that they were rare, but not that rare.