View Full Version : new here

GFD
04-18-2002, 09:37 AM
OK I'm not only new to this board but new to saltwater fishing too. I'm thinking of getting into surf casting this year. I'll be fishing primarily at Plum Island and Salisbury. I'm totally green. Can anyone give me some basic info like rod/reel selection, bait, species where I'll be fishing etc.
Thanks
Marc

Jersey_Jim
04-18-2002, 09:48 AM
Plum Island Surf casters Club or MASS BASS Association would be good clubs for you to get involved with

Saltheart
04-18-2002, 09:51 AM
Welcome to the board GFD. There are some people on the board who fish Plum I sland area. You might do better by putting up another post titled "Plum Island area info needed" or something that will attract the eyes of the people from that area.

JohnR
04-18-2002, 10:06 AM
GFD - Welcome to S-B.

The Plum Island Surfcasters ia a good club to get involved with and like the name says - that's where they fish out of and what they do.

Your typical shore species will be striped bass and bluefish. Your ways to fish for them vary grately but I would recommend using lures or cut bait. Both of these methods can allow you to target quality fish. Probably don't want to start off with flyfishing until you have a couple years of surf satisfaction under your belt.

Getting started in the right way (like joining a club and fishing with some people that have been fishing for a while) will allow you to achieve success earlier than later or no success at all. If you are not enjoying it, doesn't make much sense to do it.

How deeply do you want get involved? Will it just be a solo mission for you or will you be fishing with friends or relatives?

Thanks,

John

Steve K
04-18-2002, 10:16 AM
GFD,

Welcome to the board. I fish the Plum Island area regularly and I would suggest that you go to Surfland and talk to Martha or Kay about what you need to get started. Their prices are reasonable and their advice is right on the money. In order to fish that area, you will only need an 8 - 9' rod and light saltwater fishing reel. It is not a rocky beach, therefore light tackle is all that you really need.

My rod recommendation, depending on cost is the Daiwa Sealine X, St. Croix Ben Doerr, or the St. Croix Tidemaster series. Surfland carries all of these. As far as reels, the Penn 5500 or the Daiwa BG20 are inexpensive and sturdy reels and would match up with those rods nicely.

As far as lures, Surfland can help you but I recommend bucktail jigs, kastmasters, and swimming plugs.

If you need more info, let me know.

Steve K

GFD
04-18-2002, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the quick reply guys!
I want to primarily enjoy the sport with my wife and kids or friends. I've got a jeep and would like to combine the "beach buggy" aspect with it.
I'll check out Surfland too.
Thanks again