View Full Version : Old Jamestown Bridge

Clogston29
04-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Anyone go out to watch the demo of the main span today. We were gonna head down from work (bridge engineers) but it looked like access was gonna be too tough. Looked pretty cool on TV though.

MakoMike
04-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Saw it on TV, very cool!

Slick Moedee
04-18-2006, 12:54 PM
I remember they were talking about taking it down when I was at URI in the early '90s. We worked on a number of proposals to use the remains as artifical reefs and to leave the ends of the bridge intact for fishing. Sounds like the artifical reef component is still holding true.

shadow
04-18-2006, 06:28 PM
I drove over it this morning before the blast then again later after the blast,felt weird not seeing a second bridge their,well till I got 3/4 of the way over,there is still some of the bridge left.are they removing what fall in or are they leaving it where it is?

eelman
04-18-2006, 06:32 PM
I drove over it this morning before the blast then again later after the blast,felt weird not seeing a second bridge their,well till I got 3/4 of the way over,there is still some of the bridge left.are they removing what fall in or are they leaving it where it is?

They are removing what fell, it was an awsome site and I had a great vantage point! I wont forget it!

Pt.JudeJoe
04-18-2006, 10:25 PM
I watched the explosion on tv and then ran out to my front porch and heard the explosion , proving that I can move faster than the speed of sound.:hihi: I hope that whatever is left will make a great fishing reef. You can bet that the blackfish will love the new structure down there.

fish4striper
04-19-2006, 07:18 AM
Yeah Joe,

I would imagine a bumpy bottom there afterward. Couldnt imagine they get everything picked up.

Any word on where the pieces will get placed for reefs?

NIB
04-19-2006, 07:21 AM
[QUOTE=Pt.JudeJoe]I watched the explosion on tv and then ran out to my front porch and heard the explosion , proving that I can move faster than the speed of sound.:hihi: QUOTE]

Superman ain't got nutin on U.:D

Slick Moedee
04-19-2006, 07:54 AM
Last I read/heard they were going to seperate the remaining steel from the concrete, recycle the steel and use the concrete to form a few artifical reefs south of Newport. I haven't seen anything lately however.

MrHunters
04-19-2006, 08:49 AM
http://www.turnto10.com./index.html

3 different angles way cool.

B-assman
04-19-2006, 01:19 PM
Are they allowing boats to pass thru now?? It's a long way around to go the east passage instead of the west!

chris L
04-19-2006, 04:15 PM
way cool !!!!
I love blowing things up .....Im mean watching things blow up .