View Full Version : Little Flies

steelhead
04-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Soon, in May, is one of my favorite times of year. It's the new moon at the end of the month, and several days afterwords at the Kernwood Bridge. There are always fish there and they're always feeding on little stuff. On the incoming tide, you can cast up stream near the bridge pilings and drift little worm flies, olive fire worms and GP's and have a ball. They won't hit anything else. As the tide really starts to move and come in, the fish tend to slide back from the pilings in a seam of water that boils upwards from the channel. it's a seam that when you stand on the bridge, extends almost the entire width of the bridge and you can watch fish rise, take something with a little splash and sink. It's always in this seam. It's pretty cool.

On the outgoing tide, I go over to a sand bar that extends into the river. There's a nice drop off on the back side of the bar and I can always count on fish being there. What's interesting is that as the tide turns the fish will be pretty indescriminate in what they will take. But as the tide really starts to dump, thay become selective. The silverside patterns stop working and you have to shift to the little shrimpy/wormy flies and move up above the bar to the corner of the park and fish where a small feeder stream dumps into the Danvers River to keep getting takes. Took me while to learn this (thank you droppers). I always look forward to what has become a spring time ritual for me. Can't wait for it to happen this year :-)

Flaptail
04-18-2006, 02:00 PM
I was watching a worm hatch last evwening on my way to the beach. No bass on them but they were up and spinning circles by the thousands.

steelhead
04-18-2006, 03:29 PM
Two more weeks :-)

bassbudda
04-21-2006, 07:14 PM
FLAP, NOT ASKING FOR A SPOT BURN, BUT OUTSIDE THE STATE OF CONFUSION , WERE YOU REFERRING TO A WORM HATCH IN RHODY OR MASS?

:as:

TKS,

L'IL GEORGE