View Full Version : Car Audio question

Skip N
04-22-2006, 12:56 PM
I mentioned before in another topic about my Truck CD player acting all stupid. So i'm thinking about getting a new one for my truck. I spoke to a guy at Circuit city and he says if i get a new cd player i should replace my old speakers also. I meen im not looking for a pimp my ride sound system so would my old speakers sound just as good with a new cd player? Im driving an 03 Xterra so its not like the speakers are 10 years old or really cheap. Any comments or suggestions?

striperjerk1
04-22-2006, 01:03 PM
What they mean by putting new speakers in is because the ones in there may not take the output of the new cd player. i think regular speakers are rated like 10 w and the new cd may have 50w per speaker.
hope this helps a little.

sok
04-22-2006, 03:18 PM
DIY or have someone else do it?
I put a CD player in my truck five years ago.
I can rattle the mirrors with the stock speakers. 94 Ford
Got it through Crutchfield.
A little pricy but the tech support is the best.
Send you a wiring harness just for your vehicle.
They will talk you right through it.
I go to circuit city only when I get a gift certificate and have no other choice.

Skip N
04-22-2006, 03:46 PM
DIY or have someone else do it?
I put a CD player in my truck five years ago.
I can rattle the mirrors with the stock speakers. 94 Ford
Got it through Crutchfield.
A little pricy but the tech support is the best.
Send you a wiring harness just for your vehicle.
They will talk you right through it.
I go to circuit city only when I get a gift certificate and have no other choice.

Circuit city offers free installation if i purchase the cd player from them. Thats kinda hard to beat. I'm just hoping that if i get just the cd player and not the new speakers the sound doesnt suck coming from the factory speakers. The factory cd player and speakers from Nissan sound great, i'm looking to maintain the same quality.

Skip N
04-22-2006, 03:49 PM
What they mean by putting new speakers in is because the ones in there may not take the output of the new cd player. i think regular speakers are rated like 10 w and the new cd may have 50w per speaker.
hope this helps a little.

Yeah your right, that is what he guy at circuit city was talking about. He said you could blow the speakers if your not carefull with that. I'll have to talk to them and get more info i guess. Maybe they can tell what kind of speakers i have now and would could work

fishaholic18
04-22-2006, 03:50 PM
Skip, it should be fine with the factory speakers, done it many times.

sok
04-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Rule of thumb...........
Salesmen LIE.
Always. That's what they are paid to do. Even when you think they are telling the truth..... they are not. Just very good at the job.

They will sell you the CD player and the new speakers and the new amp to drive the new speakers and if cc sold trucks he would try and sell you a new vehicle to put all the new audio equipment in.

Skip N
04-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah good points guys. I know nothing about this stuff so i had no clue if the salesman was right or not. I can see his point, but i think i'll just get the cd player put in and only get the speakers if it sounds like crap afterwards. No use dishing out an extra $200 bucks if i dont need too.

Thanks for the input

Pete_G
04-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Skip, it should be fine with the factory speakers, done it many times.

I'll second this. I don't think I've ever heard a car stereo get worse from an aftermarket head unit.

As a rule, watts doesn't break speakers. Distortion does.

I'd install (or have them) the radio first. I doubt you'll notice the sound quality got worse, it may even be better.

cheferson
04-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Circuit city offers free installation if i purchase the cd player from them. Thats kinda hard to beat. .

Maybe free instalation, but they get you for the harness and kit, also theyre ussally booked up for 3 weeks. Get it from crutchfield and you get a free kit and harness. AS long as you can get the dash around the stereo off fairly easily, it is a quick job. Just put one in my truck couple weeks ago.

ScottC
04-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Coming fromm someone who has installed tons of systems in car and boats and who owns a 2000 Xterra. He is trying to soak you for a few more bucks, unless you like rap music, stick with the stock speakers, and get yourself an alpine head unit and call it a day.

Stay away form Crutchfield unless you want to pay the absolute most more it. I used to be an alpine distributer and I can say there head units have been consistantly the best over the years.

gone fishin
04-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Remember --- when you see a salesmans lips moving he is LYING !!:gorez:

Skip N
04-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Well I got a nice Sony CD player for the truck at circuit city today for $120. I can even hook up my MP3 player to this bad boy! Didnt opt for the speakers and its a good thing 'cause it sounds great in the truck with the factory speakers. They got right to installing it 5 minutes after i made the purchase, and an hour later it was installed. Props to Circuit city for thier great service and installation crew. Excellent job and i reccomend them if you need one done for your vehicle. Seekonk Circuit city :claps:

sok
04-25-2006, 06:53 PM
Coming fromm someone who has installed tons of systems in car and boats and who owns a 2000 Xterra. He is trying to soak you for a few more bucks, unless you like rap music, stick with the stock speakers, and get yourself an alpine head unit and call it a day.

Stay away form Crutchfield unless you want to pay the absolute most more it. I used to be an alpine distributer and I can say there head units have been consistantly the best over the years.

I only mentioned them because I bought a CD player from them a few years ago. They sent me the wrong wiring harness and I had their tech support talk me through to diagnose and fix the problem. At about 7 at night; on a cell phone. Their price(for the one I bought) was right in line with circuit city and best buy.

ScottC
04-26-2006, 08:47 AM
I only mentioned them because I bought a CD player from them a few years ago. They sent me the wrong wiring harness and I had their tech support talk me through to diagnose and fix the problem. At about 7 at night; on a cell phone. Their price(for the one I bought) was right in line with circuit city and best buy.

Always check out price scan. just for an example I did a random search to compare prices, and check this out:

http://www.pricescan.com/electronics/items/item525989.asp

Crutchfield is almost twice as much as the cheapest supplier. check different brands and models, you will see that Crutchfield is hardly ever the lowest price, and sometimes, like in this case, they are rediculous